Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

seeking advice for changing routine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
burchell

PostSubject: seeking advice for changing routine   Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:01 am

Been lurking these forums but first time posting. Well I started doing calisthenics last year but had to stop due to my illness being too much. Been on new meds and started again in Jan and have been making progress.

What I've been doing is chin ups/squats twice a week, and push ups/leg raises twice a week. When I reach about 3 sets 20 reps I move onto a harder exercise. Trying to do the grease the grooves with pullups everyday, about 3 sets spread through the day.

Is twice a week and only 3 sets ok for someone like me? Only been limiting myself to these few exercises because I don't want to wreck my joints and I'm only new. Would now be a good time to start adding plenty more sets and doing each muscle group 3 times a week and doing more exercises? Thanks heaps for any advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: seeking advice for changing routine   Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:10 pm

IMHO (I'm not the most experienced of people here, so an opinion's all you're gonna get!) you need to go by how you feel. Make some changes, do them for a while (a week, say) and see how you feel at the end of it. Make sure your nutrition and sleep is good enough to allow for sufficient recovery, and don't push yourself too hard.

I do think you could get better gains by changing your routine - try mixing it up a little and not always doing the same things (your body gets used to it - change places it under stress and the response is to create the muscle to cope with that). Rather than straight sets do reverse pyramids or whatever, and work different muscle groups. Look into different exercises and add them in on some days - you don't mention abs or cardio, for example.

I pretty much go by how I feel - sometimes it's hard, then I don't push so much, other times I may have trained hard the day before but the reps just come out. I think you need to learn to listen to your body, and then pay attention to what it says (the two are not the same).

At the end of the day it's your journey. Nobody here knows you (I'm guessing) so it's impossible to give advice that would be best for you - only you will know that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
sclarkson1

PostSubject: Re: seeking advice for changing routine   Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Depends on your goals. If your program and your goals don't match, then your program definatly needs to be changed up. What are your goals?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burchell

PostSubject: Re: seeking advice for changing routine   Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Forgot to mention i run 2-3 times a week. Yeah I don't do much ab work, don't know why. Started out slow only because I didn't want to damage anything. As far as goals go, I want to do start doing a 3 day split working on all of my body with cardio on rest days. I actually want to start doing pyramids and the like. Thanks for the tips but what I was mainly concerned about is doing intense workouts only a few months after starting.

But thanks for the tips I'll start adding pyramids and other movements slowly into it to try and do maybe something like a 3 day split. Thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seeking advice for changing routine   

Back to top Go down

seeking advice for changing routine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1