Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

plateau busting workout?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
progression training

PostSubject: plateau busting workout?   Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:04 am

been seeing good results with this program for pullups & dips

Have a look & tell me what you think

take your 1 set max, 25% of this is your repition number eg: mine is 30 pullups so I did 8 reps for my sets

start with 8 reps then 30secs, another 8 reps then 30 secs rest and so on untill you can't complete 2 sets of 8

You should be aiming for between 20-40 sets before this happens & by this time your back will be screaming and your lungs on fire

rest for 5mins then do the same with dips

WARM UP BIGTIME!!!

only do this once a week and if it hurts STOP!!

Train safe x
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpilledInnards

PostSubject: Re: plateau busting workout?   Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Please take the time to read my wall of text and tell me if this will work for me.

I started working out again in February and made some progress, but for about a month now I've made no progress whatsoever.

I went from being able to do 10 push-ups to 18, from 4 diamond push-ups to about 10, zero chin-ups to 3 max, and 15 dips.

And not only that, my recovery time has gone up, I now require 2 days of rest between each workout.

I'm getting plenty of rest, I sleep 8 hours every night, my diet is healthy and I'm feeling fine.

My goal is to master the basics, I want to reach 40 push-ups, 20 diamond push-ups, 20 chin-ups, and 30 dips.

My routine looks like this:

Push-ups followed by chin-ups, stopping a rep before failure, rest 60 seconds then do the same with diamond push-ups instead of basic push-ups, then for the last set I replace the push-up with dips.

I use mixed grips, one palm pronated the other supinated, alternating between left and right, and I throw in negatives.

I do this 3 times a week.

How can I advance? I really want to move on to harder exercises, but I'm stuck in a rut.

Should I do this workout twice a week and add a pyramid workout to my schedule?

If the answer is "yes" then how many should I do if I max out at 18 push-ups and 3 chin-ups?

For push-ups should I do 1-2-4-6-8-10-10-8-6-4-2-1, and same for chins with negatives as well?

And yes, I know I'm neglecting the legs but unfortunetly I suffered several leg injuries in my time, and now every time I give the legs any serious workout everything from my metatarsal to my knees aches. Sad

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer, thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: plateau busting workout?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 am

Hmm, if i'm reading it right you're workout for 1 day goes

18 Pushups
3 Chin-ups
10 Diamond Push-ups
3 Chin-ups
15 Dips
3 Chin-ups

I think the big thing you need to start doing is increasing the numbers of reps you do. Don't worry about trying to have a couple of big sets for every workout, Just try and crank the reps out. Density training and Pyramids are good ways of doing this.

So you could do a

2-10-2 pyramid (even numbers) for push-ups
10 x 1 rep for chin ups
10 x 4 reps for diamond pushups
1-3-1 Chin-up pyramid
2-10-2 pyramid again for dips
10 x 1 rep for chin ups

So you go from
18 Pushups
9 Chin-ups
10 Diamonds
15 Dips

to
50 Press-ups
29 Chin-ups
40 Diamonds
50 Dips

You may want to edit the numbers a bit, say instead of doing a 2-10-2 pyramaid do a 1-5-1 or 2-4-5-6-7-6-5-4-2

for resting in between sets, try and keep it the same per exercise and as low as possible. Maybe 15-30seconds and then give your self a couple of mins between exercises.

And remember to pace yourself... doing 1 chin-up every 5 secs might seem real easy for you at the start, but by the 6th you might be struggling.... try and keep it consistent Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpilledInnards

PostSubject: Re: plateau busting workout?   Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm

No, my workout goes first set 17 push-ups(1 before failure), followed by 2 chin-ups and the rest negatives stopping when my arms feel fatigued.

I go for as many sets as I can(usually 5-6 for push-ups, 1-2 for chin-ups because my arms fatigue really fast), always stopping one rep before failure.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: plateau busting workout?   

Back to top Go down

plateau busting workout?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1