Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Advice on push/pull split

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fi

PostSubject: Advice on push/pull split   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 am

Hi everyone,

Now that I'm getting used to this style of training,I feel like it's time to split my workout up so I can focus on each exercise more, rather than put them all in the same session. Splitting by pushing and pulling seems like the most sensible thing to do.

I spent my tube journey this morning working out three different days - one with pushing, one with the cardio (and resting upper body) I normally do - a boxing and kickboxing class once a week, and a third with the pulling stuff. I usually train five days a week, so will just work through them, inserting rest days whenever I need them or is convenient.

Since I'm so new to this I'd be really grateful on your feedback for the push and pull stuff, and whether you think it looks ok. There isn't much on the pull day - is there anything else I should include? I train at a gym that doesn't actually have a horizontal bar - I use a machine like this
and an assisted machine for the dips (and I'm going to start doing some leg raises on it, so some are done hanging and some on horizontal bars), so if you have any suggestions of other things to include, that would be great (bare in mind that much of it is beyond me - I can only do 7 clean pull-ups on the parallel bars in the middle of that machine, so I'm still very much a beginner!).

Here is the routine I've come up with (yes, I made a spreadsheet - I'm a nerd Wink )

Thanks very much in advance for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bar-barella.com
sclarkson1

PostSubject: Re: Advice on push/pull split   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:53 am

That is pretty killer. I like your idea there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Advice on push/pull split   Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks. Training tonight so will see just how killer it is!

Forgot to say - I'm training for strength, not to get any bigger. If I look any more ripped I'm gonna start looking like a man. This training has changed my body in quite a freaky way! I do want to be able to do a muscle up though...

Also, I got a PM suggesting that I add pyramid and density sets (just adding for the benefit of someone else if they search the forum like I did, looking for advice on a split routine). I'm going to modify the routine some days to do these instead of the straight sets of ten.
Back to top Go down
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Advice on push/pull split   Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Well, for the benefit of anyone thinking of changing to a similar routine, I can confirm that doing these three days back-to-back has just about killed me Smile I'm seriously considering taking pre-bed ibuprofen just to mitigate the pain! Today hurt - doing the pulls was a nightmare, and I only managed 5 horrible scuffy pull-ups, compared to the 7 clean ones I did the other day. On the up-side, the running has gone well, and on Tuesday I did half of my 5k at my target pace (15km/h) so I'm pretty pleased with that. Hopefully a day off and a load of protein will help me recover, and that it will get easier. Definitely not going to do the three straight again for a while though!
Back to top Go down
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Advice on push/pull split   Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Phin wrote:
Thanks. Training tonight so will see just how killer it is!

Forgot to say - I'm training for strength, not to get any bigger. If I look any more ripped I'm gonna start looking like a man. This training has changed my body in quite a freaky way!

Hey, don't worry, ripped is good. As long as the guys don't know you're twice as strong as them, the workouts will only help. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fi

PostSubject: Re: Advice on push/pull split   Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Quote :
Hey, don't worry, ripped is good. As long as the guys don't know you're twice as strong as them, the workouts will only help.

To be honest, I think they just think I'm insane. Especially now that I've taken my Captains of Crush gripper in to use after workouts Very Happy

Also, I have just started on my home-made recovery shakes - 25g unflavoured whey protein, 5g glutamine and 3 teaspoons of chocolate Nesquik (not quite clean eating, but better than artificial sweetners). That's made a big difference to recovery - able to do the push routine on one day and boxing the next without too much pain (although it does make me avoid stairs and unnecessary lifting of heavy items).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on push/pull split   

Back to top Go down

Advice on push/pull split
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1