Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
G@lvo

PostSubject: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm

I enjoy calisthenics much more than weights, but I still like doing heavy trap bar deadlifts and calf raises, and overhead presses..
Can someone give me advice to build a routine with this exercises:

Dips (i hate bench press)
Pullups
Pushups
Trap bar deadlift
Trap bar calf raise

I also don't know if it better to use a 3,4,5 day split or fullbody type of workout..
I also play sport 3 times a week..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sclarkson1

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I would say do the bw two days a week, the heavy lifts two days a week, and if you play sports, then conditioning and cardio is a must so I would do that on the other day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:04 pm

3-day routine:
3 sets of each exercise. Do five reps on the weights, and as many as you can on the bodyweight exercises.

Do A on Monday, then B on Wednesday, A on Friday, then the opposite next week.

Workout A
Pushups
Pulllups
Squats

Workout B
Dips
Chin-ups
Deadlifts
Calf-raises
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks guys, really solid advices! Cool
Any other one is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Here is an upper body workout I did today focusing on the military press, following Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 template. I really suck at over-head pressing so the focus 5/3/1 puts on this lift is much needed. It is easy to avoid the drills you suck at, but usually those are the ones you need to work on the most.

Here is the workout I did today:
A1 Fat Bar Strict Military Press
145 x 5,5,7
A2 Pull-Ups
6 x 8
B1 Log Clean and Press (no leg drive)
4 x 5
B2 TRX Row
4 x 5
C1 Pull-Over Skull Crusher
4 x 8-10
C2 Barbell Curl
4 x 8-10

sample routine... btw you should squat every workout
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:48 pm

10 sets of ring strength on the freemotion, 2 sets each of 5 movements.
2 sets 5 reps front squat @ 190
2 sets 7 reps deadlift @ 315 (super light, but my low back is tired from 4 sets of 12 on Friday)
2 sets of 3 reps yewki to reverse yewki (dead hang to yewkie to invert hang, to reverse yewki back to dead hang is 1 rep) in 90/90 flat tuck
2 sets 3 reps OAC per arm, pinkie assist
2 sets 3 reps OAPullup per arm, pinkie assist
2 sets 3 HSPU, about 3/4 of full ROM
2 sets one arm one leg push ups, 8 reps per arm. off hand assist
2 sets 9 weighted dips, 70 lbs
2 sets weighted chins, 6 reps 70 lbs
1 set weighted wide pull ups,5 70 lbs
1 set weighted pull ups, 6 reps 70 lbs
2 sets arch ups with 45 lbs on the back of my head, 10 reps
2 sets body levers arch to hollow, 10 reps
2 sets skull crushers @ 110 lbs, 10 reps.

from gymnastics body forum memeber slizzard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G@lvo

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Thank you guys! I believe I finally managed to create a routine that suits my needs! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm

I weighed myself today... came in at 185lbs... so Im Guning for a 185lb military press... last I maxed it was 175lbs... close but no cigar... prob by end of the year for sure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:46 pm

Icebergslim, that's amazing! You oughtta try a one-arm HSPU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 pm

I tried to Over Head Press at 185lbs but every time I try I can barely even get the weights off of the floor and above my chest.... Im sure that I have the strength but either Im not attacking with the proper mental/form or I need new weight plates... I think above all that my down fall is the weight increments... Instead of increasing 5 lbs and starting off at 180lb Mill Press Im using 10lbs and getting stuck at 185lb... Going to pick up two 2.5lb Olympic Plates from Amazon... this way I can jump 5lbs to 180lbs instead of going to 185lbs and getting stuck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:56 pm

You can also use two-inch washers from the hardware store. They each weigh 0.6 pounds, so you can make really small jumps in weight.

They're also alot cheaper than most fractional plates. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:45 pm

today I weighed my bar and now Im pissed off because my 7 ft olympic bar weighs only 41 pounds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ohiosteve

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 am

There are several options. One is to do "Around the World" and change the exercises slightly every 3 sets like subbing in the bench for pushups or tricep pushdowns for dips or something. Another is this one I've used with success: Monday do 10 sets of max pullups different grip each set the freestyle(levers etc) Tuesday do "deck of cards" workout with pushups then handstand work Wednesday muscle ups 1-10 then 10 down then freestyles Thursday deck of cards then handstand stuff Friday do arms circuit pick a bicep and a tricep exercise do each for 60 seconds no rest no putting the bar down pick new exercises then repeat for 5-8 different total Saturday bench press start light like 50 reps and work to a max out. 10 sets of pullups can be added into any of these workouts when you feel it and is actually a good idea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises   

Back to top Go down

Routine to mix weights and bodyweight exercises
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1