Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Muscle up workout?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mr. Awesome

PostSubject: Muscle up workout?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:38 pm

I've recently gotten my first muscle up, and i wonder if i should keep doing explosive pull ups together with the few muscle ups im able to do in a day, or should i just du muscle ups?
i do the muscle up with huge kip, btw.

i can do around 20 pull ups.

Thanks for any reply
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jimsiff

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Keep doing the basics while you continue to work on muscle up form and rep count. You can't get enough muscle up volume to take away the basics. If you don't continue to train the basic movements, eventually you will end up detraining the basic movement which will also negatively affect the muscle up.

Even the beasts out there do loads of basic bodyweight exercises, including weighted variations, static holds, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 am

Weighted training is PROBABLY the best option... thers a whole s**t load of articles in this forum... Im working on upping the Ante at my 75lb pull up and chin up training AT LEAST on Chin Ups if not both... Between the two The most reps Ill ever do is maybe 10 and the least amount of reps is 5... Im thinking of working towards 15 reps prer set... So next workout Ill try and aim for 11... then next week 12... then next weeek 13 etc etc... Im not worried about a plateau As long as Im increasing in reps each week... And once I can bang 15 comfy then either Ill shoot for 20 reps at 75lbs or add 5Lbs to the 75Lbs and repeat the process at 80lbs untill I reach 15 reps & etc etc... check out the excerpt down below from this "a relative strength advantage" article

The secret of muscle-up is that there is also a horizontal movement in addition to the vertical movement. Even the strongest guys use at least some kind of horizontal movement.So the muscle-up really consists of three parts.
1.Basic pull-up strength . First you need a basic pull-up strength level from either doing weighted pull-ups or bodyweight ones. Either way you need roughly 15 pullups to start aiming for a muscle up.
2.Master the swing. This is the tricky part. With the muscle up you hang from a bar and let your body swing freely forward. At the top of the swing when your body is as far away from the bar as possible, you vigorously pull up to your chest.
3.Explode to the sternum. This is the key to the move. In fact you could master the muscle up just by either getting freaky strong at weighted pull-ups or getting real good – meaning doing 10+ reps, on the sternum pull-up.

Muscle Up-Transition

Most people quote the muscle-up transition as their biggest difficulty in doing muscle ups. But the muscle-up transition is actually a misnomer. You cannot do a pull-up and somehow transition to a dip at the top. When you reach the top of a pull-up, it is already too late to do a muscle-up. It is a fundamentally different, more complex move:

•Swing. So the basis of the muscle up is the swinging of the body from behind to in front of the bar. This is what makes the muscle up so elusive as it is a complex, 3D move, similar to the Olympic weightlifting moves, but in reverse.
•Pull-up. Thus you grab the bar from behind it or jump up. You then let your body swing freely and when it is at the farthest/highest point you pull-up as explosively as you can to your chest.
•Kip. From the explosiveness of the pull-up, your body will naturally integrate your lower body. This is called a kip from some coaches. So the idea is that your body will bend at the hips. Instead of hanging straight down your legs will swing up forward. The stronger you are, the less you will swing your legs up. Note however that even super strong athletes move at least somewhat the legs. To explain why lifting the legs up helps you, try visualize running up stairs. When you swing your arms up while climbing, the momentum helps you up. Same thing here, except with the legs.
•Transition. So the better you are at pull-ups, the less of an actual transition there will be. Master the sternum pull-up to pull as low on your chest as possible. But for starters, after the vigorous pull, you flick your arms and end up on top of the bar.
•Dip. Basic dipping strength, from training the dip on the parallel bars, will be sufficient to pushup in the final phase. Note that a single dip on top of a bar is way harder than one on the dip station.
•Lose the excess weight. I thing this one is obvious, but it bears repeating. Find a way to eat less so you don’t have excess fat on you. Even 2lbs extra make it significantly harder to do your first muscle up. For me personally Eat Stop Eat is the easiest diet plan that allows me to control my weight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr. Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:41 am

ty for the answers!

i think i will start doing sets of 10 and add weight, and aim for 15, then add more weight like you do, Ice Berg Slim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
G.I Joe

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:52 am

Hey guys. Newbie here.
Is someone able to elaborate on the sternum pullup iceberg was talking about? I have never heard of it before.
cheers Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 pm

I think sternum pull up is a pull up but rather pulling just to go chin to the bar going chest to the bar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:00 pm

I can do 10 sternum pull ups but still cannot do a muscle up. I wonder when will I be able to do one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 pm

If u can do 10 sternum pull ups then it looks like u got the strength for muscle up also. Just try to muscle up assisting with ur legs less and less so u can understand the technique and also do some negatives as slow as possible. Help a lot with ur legs pulling knees to the bar and kipping, also dont try to start it deadhang but having ur arms just a bit bended. Use much momentum, u ll get it slowly.

Maybe try to get one arm 1st then the other, try after to do the same with opposite arm.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

PullUpImpulse wrote:
I can do 10 sternum pull ups but still cannot do a muscle up. I wonder when will I be able to do one.

Odds are its your technique that's off then. Try doing negatives so you get the feel of it :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Muscle up workout?   

Back to top Go down

Muscle up workout?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1