Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Routine Critic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
airmax17

PostSubject: Routine Critic   Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey new to the forum. Been doing bodyweight routines for about 3 months and made some good strength and size gains. But being new to bodyweight I want to make sure i am getting the most out of my routine. Currently I am on a pushing/pulling routine. It goes somethin like this.
My main concern is with the amount im working out and if my body is gettin enough time to rest and rebuild its self and also any general critic. I am looking to build strength and put on some muscle mass. I also fit cardio into my routine. THANKS in advanced.

A=pulling day B=Pushing day I lift monday(A day) Tuesday(B day) Wendsday off. Thursday(A) Friday(B) off Saturday and Sunday

A Day
UPPER BODY:
Pullups 3x8
Chin ups 3x9
negative chins 3x7
pullup static holds 3x30 secs

LEGS:
Pistol squats 3x10
Weighted Wall sits 3x 1 min
Calf Raises
Jump rope

Pushing(B day)

UPPER BODY:
Handstand Pushup progression
Pushups(W6 or 5x20)
Hip pushups/some pushup variation. 3x8
Dips 3x8
Diamond pushups 3x10
BW tricep Extensions(1 set 20, 2nd set 15, 3rd set 10)

CORE:
L sits
Dragon flags
planks
crunches
roller wheel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:34 pm

It looks pretty good. As long as you have good recovery abilities, you can make serious gains with something like this. I really like routines that hit each bodypart twice per week, they always worked well for me. One thing I noticed is you give rep numbers. That's good if you're adding weight, but if you're not, just do as many as you can, stopping about a rep before failure. Most people can do a few more reps than they think they can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:49 pm

In the core workout, forget crunches. They really suck. With the tiny range of motion, they don't affect as many muscle fibers, and not much functional carryover onto reality. You may want to replace them with a lower back exercise like hyperextensions or bridging, or use a planche progression.
Also, although endurance work is always good, low reps are the most effecient way to get a six-pack. Janda sit-ups, dragon flag, and habging core work are great.
Keep up the good work, bro!
Oh, one question: what hspu progression are you using?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
airmax17

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks man. Ive been lookin around the forum and see a lot of people do pyramids instead of set reps for pull ups. So i was thinkin about switchin to those and trying it out. For hspu im just doin a lot of negatives and hand stand practice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stilkobg

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:26 pm

You can add inverted rows on your pulling day... They are good....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Add partial reps to the handstand pushup progression. The negs are good, but they don't train your train your muscles to contract, so you'll get your first HSPU faster if you also do partials, going just a few inches down then pushing back up. Try to add more range-of-motion each workokut.
No need to skip the negatives though, they'll help.
Keep at it man! Let me know when you master it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
airmax17

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Yah i was doin them before i could do pull ups to strengthen my lats. They worked pretty good. mite add them thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
airmax17

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:58 pm

partials sound good. Will defintely add them into my hspu progression. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpilledInnards

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Sorry for hijacking your thread but I have a similar question and figured it would be better to ask here than start a new thread.

I want to start a new routine and read about supersets and how they're good for both strength and burning calories.

So I put together the following routine and would like to hear your opinions.

1st Superset:

Burpee, 35 to 60 seconds
Mountain Climber, 35 to 60 seconds

Rest 30-60 seconds and hydrate.

2nd Superset:

Decline Pushups to failure
Negative Pullups(I can do about 2-3 chinups, 0 pullups), using various grips, alternating between pronated and supinated until I feel that I'm about to fail.

Rest 30-60 seconds and hydrate.

3rd Superset:

Squats until failure then lunges.

Hydrate.

4th Superset:

Knuckle Pushups until failure
Negative Pullups same as before

Then at the end do ab crunches, and maybe plank for as long as I can.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:41 pm

It looks pretty good. Supersets and circuits are fun. I would reccomend you read my above posts about crunches and negatives.
Also, knuckle pushups? Are you in martial arts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
airmax17

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:17 pm

Quick question whats better for pull ups pyramids or a set # of sets Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpilledInnards

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 pm

freerunner wrote:
It looks pretty good. Supersets and circuits are fun. I would reccomend you read my above posts about crunches and negatives.
Also, knuckle pushups? Are you in martial arts?

Took your advice and got rid of crunches and replaced Knuckle Pushups with Diamond Pushups.

I completed my first workout a couple of minutes ago, I managed to go for two rounds.

I wanted to go for more but it's getting late and I was getting hungry. Smile

First round I did 60 seconds of Burpees and 60 seconds of Mountain Climber.

Second round 60 seconds of Burpees and 45 seconds of Mountain Climber.

And overall I did 74 pushups, 3 different kinds; regular, diamond and with my hands near my hips, and 31 negative pullups.

And I managed to do plank hold for 60 seconds.

Not too bad for my first time with supersets I think, but I'll keep working on my speed.

When I do pushups/pullups, should I do as many as I can per set, or go for a fixed number?

If I can do 12 for the first set, but only 10 for my second should I stop at 10 or give my muscles a second or two to rest then push for two more?

And if I stick to this workout for 3-4 months is it possible to drop 4 kg?

I already eat healthy, no junk food, no soft drinks, only fish/chicken/beef/eggs(protein only) rice and potatos.

Tuna, avocado, nuts, pistachios and bananas.

I can't run/jog because of my left knee(injured it twice) and the last pair of bicycle I owned were stolen.

Swimming isn't possible either, the local pool is under repairs and even if it weren't I refuse to be the guy who doesn't take his shirt off at the pool. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:21 pm

airmax17 wrote:
Quick question whats better for pull ups pyramids or a set # of sets Thanks

It doesn't really matter which one you use. Pyramids and ladders will both seriously up your volume, which means more endurance. Regular sets are better for high intensity training.
I would reccomend using pyramids for easier moves (that is, something you can do lots of reps of), and sets for harder moves that you can't do very many reps of.
So if you're working regular pull-ups, and you can do like twenty reps, use a pyramid, and if you're working something really difficult like one-handed or one-armed pullups use regular sets.
I change it up every couple of months, sometimes sets, sometimes pyramids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
freerunner

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

SpilledInnards wrote:
When I do pushups/pullups, should I do as many as I can per set, or go for a fixed number?

If I can do 12 for the first set, but only 10 for my second should I stop at 10 or give my muscles a second or two to rest then push for two more?

And if I stick to this workout for 3-4 months is it possible to drop 4 kg?

Do almost as many as you can, but stop a rep before failure. If you train all the way to failure every workout you will progress slower. This doesn't mean take it easy, though. Setting a goal number is good if you set it higher than you think you can go. The vast majority of people stop a few reps before they should, just because they think they know their limits.

The rest-pause method, (what you described in the second question), is good for hypertrophy (making your muscles bigger), but not as much for getting stronger. However, there's a lot of carryover either way. Use it when you're trying to get bigger, but not when you're training for strength.

You can definitely lose 4kg of fat. You can drop a kilogram in just about two weeks. Keep in mind that you'll be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, so you might want to check fat loss by your waist and hip measurements instead of the scale.

Haha, I used to never take my shirt off at the pool. Don't worry, if you keep training you shouldn't have this problem by summer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Routine Critic   

Back to top Go down

Routine Critic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1