Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Free handstanding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
warjet

PostSubject: Free handstanding   Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I can do about 5 seconds.
I was wondering if I should practice holding longer or increase my strength. I can do a half diamond handstand pushup with a wall so would working strength have a big impact on my balance.

Just looking at the smileys at the Side and none of them
Have a bar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wracko

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 pm

A handstand is a learnt 'skill' , so all you need to do is practise a handstand itself.

A Month a go i could only do 3 sec handstand.

I then did 10 attempts , nearly every day and now can hold one for 15secs. So jus practise n practise Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
warjet

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Thnx
I don't get much time to workout because of exams after they finish I will be able to increase the volume of my workouts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:37 pm

best thing I did to get to free standing handstands was a few weeks of doing 5 min handstands against a wall.

Start a timer and kick up against the wall, hold it there for as long as you can, when you come down pause the timer and rest 2-3 mins. After that just repeat it until your total time is 5 mins Smile

This just builds up the strength in your fingers/arms and shoulder girdle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
warjet

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Thnx probably going do both hold a handstand 5 minutes and try diamond handstand pushups and I'll check how long I can hold a free handstand a few times a week
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WD

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:31 pm

hi, iam new in the group...... bro; how many times repeat this what you said...¿? thxs

Tim wrote:
best thing I did to get to free standing handstands was a few weeks of doing 5 min handstands against a wall.

Start a timer and kick up against the wall, hold it there for as long as you can, when you come down pause the timer and rest 2-3 mins. After that just repeat it until your total time is 5 mins Smile

This just builds up the strength in your fingers/arms and shoulder girdle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 pm

WD wrote:
hi, iam new in the group...... bro; how many times repeat this what you said...¿? thxs

When I was doing it I did it once a day for about 3 weeks. I started being able to do a 30s hold against the wall, after 3ish weeks I could do almost 60s against a wall and a good 15s freestanding. (I then focussed on freestanding work and haven't done anything against a wall since....)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derrick

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm

warjet wrote:
I can do about 5 seconds.
I was wondering if I should practice holding longer or increase my strength. I can do a half diamond handstand pushup with a wall so would working strength have a big impact on my balance.

Just looking at the smileys at the Side and none of them
Have a bar.

Working on strength will not somehow miraculously extend your freestanding handstand time to 1 minute. What it does, it prepares your muscles for the strains and lets you to acquire the skill relatively easy. So it truly depends on your current strength level.
What I find most frustrating is that most people concentrate only on building strength in the shoulder grid, while strong wrist is the main tool for maintaining balance. I can see the reasoning that tons of HSPUs, handstands will eventually build up your wrist strength but in my case it did squat. What did help me though is plenty of towel pull-ups and finger push-ups. After about a month spent regularly strengthening my wrist, I was surprised how easy it was to maintain balance and adjust myself. Maybe I simply had weak wrists, because previously a single breeze was enough to take me off balance, and my wrists were unable to adjust.
Good luck with your quest!Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:16 am

Mmmm very true about wrist strength,, also wrist flexibility too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
warjet

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:30 am

Would pseudo planche push up be enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm

The fastest way to build strength in handstand pushups also happens to be the easiest; simply spend more time in a handstand. Anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes should be appropriate for most athletes. This is total time including both work and rest, although try not to go overboard with rest times.

Free balancing on the rings is the absolute king and will lead to strength increases over an incredible range of exercises. Next is free balancing on either the floor or parallets. Finally for those who are as yet unable to free balance, wall handstands will also give a nice return for the effort involved.

Another tip that will help to increase your HSPU strength is to simply hold some of your handstands in a bent arm position. This is actually quite a bit of fun and helps to break up the monotony.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer

from gymnasticsbodies forum
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free handstanding   

Back to top Go down

Free handstanding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1