Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do Split Routines For Calisthenics Work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cowabungadude

PostSubject: Do Split Routines For Calisthenics Work?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 pm

I workout at home so I'm really limited to calisthenics and dumbbells up to 35 lbs.

Would a bodybuilding-like routine where I work a muscle group once a week be effective if I use a mix of Dumbbells and Calisthenics? Would I have good strength gains?

My goal is to gain muscle mass. Once I reach the desired number of reps I'll start adding weight to the exercises to help increase resistance. (dumbbells, weighted vest, books, bricks, harder variations...)

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

Monday: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps
Push Ups - 3 sets to failure (add weight once I can do 30+ reps)
Shoulder DB Press - 3 sets, 8-15 reps
Dips - 2 sets to failure (add weight once I can do 20 reps straight)

Wednesday: Legs
DB Goblet Squats - 3 sets, 12-25 reps
Romanian Deadlift - 2 sets, 12-25 reps
Calf Raises - 2 sets, 12-25 reps

Firday: Back and Biceps
Pull Ups - 3 sets, to failure (add weight once I can do 20 reps straight)
Some form of Rows - 3 sets, 8-15 reps
DB Curls - 2 sets, 8-15 reps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Do Split Routines For Calisthenics Work?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Not enough intensity here, exercises,sets/reps or volume just my opinion.

If you are just starting to do calisthenics i would stick to the basics pull ups, push ups, dips, body-weight rows, tricep - extensions, chin ups, static holds, handstand push ups, body-weight squats/lunges eventually add weight to each. Then after your calisthenic routine you can do some curls,and other weightlifting exercises if you want they aren't needed though. The two weight lifting exercises i would keep in training for overall power is squats + dead lifts. For now increase your reps for the basics, get your base strength higher then you could start doing more organized routines. Working out this way you will increase your reps quickly your strength,endurance,power will go up pretty quickly i would just strive daily for more reps sets and just keep progressing. Ex: instead of 3 sets of push ups do 8-12 , same for pull ups , and dips. Do this for a few months work hard at the basics that's my advice.Hope this helps some Goodluckk!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cowabungadude

PostSubject: Re: Do Split Routines For Calisthenics Work?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Would this possibly be a better routine?

Workout A:
Goblet Squats - 3x20
Push Ups - 3xfailure
Romanian Deadlift - 1x20

Workout B:
Goblet Squats - 3x20
DB Shoulder Press - 3xfailure
Pull Ups - 3xfailure

Week 1:
M - Workout A
W - Workout B
F - Workout A

Week 2:
M - Workout B
W - Workout A
F - Workout B
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MUDMAN

PostSubject: Re: Do Split Routines For Calisthenics Work?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:52 pm

with all of your Calis here, they are all pretty much compound movements, so I wouldnt split Back and Biceps or Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.. Id prob do all the upper body stuff on the same day and split lower body if anything... Might as well add the squats in there with it all though IMO. You should squat with every work out IMO.. Also Id prob eliminate a few of the upper body exercises and focus on maybe 4-6 total upper/lower body circuits. Id prob pick Deadlift, squats, pull ups, dips and an overhead press... the other stuff IMO is optional, cause you also wanna keep in mind that you wanna track your advancement, and, if you got all that stuff going on it COULD be hard to do so and you only need 3 to 4 compound exercises for a full body workout
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Do Split Routines For Calisthenics Work?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: -