Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
changpion

PostSubject: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:00 am

Hi everyone,
would just like to wish everyone a merry Christmas season, I've recently stumbled across the bar-barian community and was inspired to achieve a muscle up. I really want to train at home without a gym membership, so I was wondering if anyone owned a pull up/ dip frame or something to recommend that you can do muscle ups on. At first I was a little worried that they might fall over with the momentum so can anyone recommend a sturdy one? I'm from the UK btw.

Cheers,

Tom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evilllamas

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm slowly working towards muscle up too (did one once... no kipping- on a bar...never repeated!)
Anyway, I'm cheap, and pushed for space- so my setup at home is:

Iron Gym pull up bar, simply goes on door frame, can be put up or taken down in seconds, very cheap, and strong!

2 cargo straps with friction locks, about 1" in diameter, and 6m long, each strap has a big metal friction lock- stronger than anything on retail rings etc, cost me £9 including P&P off ebay

and a old hand towel.

With said setup I can do pull ups, and anything else that requires a bar to hang on (apart from wide grip stuff), grip stuff with the towel, un-even pull ups with the cargo straps height altered a bit, ring dips/rows/curls on the cargo straps if I lower them a bit (have to tuck legs in!) and I can train for muscle ups if I tuck my legs in or do an L sit- only problem is that cargo straps are quite abrasive, so false grip on them was very uncomfortable to begin with- I trained it on the bar, and but some tape around the straps.

Setup cost under £25, and does the job just as well as these £400 stations. (or nearly!)

Also makes you do ring dips.... better than normal dips!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:25 pm

i have a cheap pullup tower / 'power tower' but i struggle to do muscle ups on it because it starts tipping over towards me at the transition of the muscle up. it works if i have someone stand on the legs, or probably if i put some sandbags or something on it. also i can't do strict muscle ups but am not kipping too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Ive seen a few towere that would be suitable but I forgot the name/brand. make sure that your ceiling is high enough, and, that the Tower is sturdy. Also, you might wanna go with a straight bar instead of alt grip one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evilllamas

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Rings!

I know I've already posted- but rings deserve 2 posts- they are damn good, you can get some elite rings for £40 or so- and you can do lots, and lots of stuff on em!

(and full ROM ring dips are amazing)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Just ordered this for $88 shipped from Amazon... would you believe that they tried to tack on like Shocked $45 Shocked for shipping... I was like nevermind, Ill just wait... It seems pretty solid... I love the straight design pull up bar and how its positioned towards the front, and dip bars in back, and dip bars look really heavy duty and very high and that perfect for full ROM on Dips. Hopefully the dip bars will make my chest crack alot. If my chest pops and cracks after dips it signals me that Im going all the way up/down. You should try Craigslist though man... a lot of gems laying around there... youd be suprised. I saw a tower there the other day that was TOTALLY awesome man... If I find the pic again Ill post it

Last edited by Ice Berg Slim on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:05 pm

thats the other Tower I was telling you about... Its an Ironman and selling for $180 brand new... maybe even negotiable... Its not necessary, but, itd prob be well worth the cash. Im pretty much happy with the Satmina Tower though so Im cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
changpion

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:06 am

Thanks for the replies guys, I ended up getting a pair of rings and a door pull up bar. I've seen some people do an L- sit muscle up off the ground on one of those, but it's out of reach for me atm. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm

came in the mail Friday... not as sturdy as Id like especially the dip bars, but, the Pull Up bar is decent and it gets the job done. Just when doing weighted pull ups with a belt, the belt can tend get get stuck/hit the cross bar. Also the dip bars arent very ergonomic and are uncomfortable. Feel very wide and hollow. If you dont slide the rear legs against the wall then it feels like it may tilt over. Push Up bars are totally crappy and a waste of time to even use. I cant believe how crappy the Push Up bars are completely wobbly and unstable!!! Id rate at maybe 6/10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?   

Back to top Go down

Pull up/ dip frame for muscle ups?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1