Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Whats best for increasing pull ups?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zark

PostSubject: Whats best for increasing pull ups?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:14 am

I have been trying to increase my pull ups and have been following a Pyramid type approach where I count down 5-4-3-2-1 etc. Been doing this about three times a week.

Does anyone have any other ideas or methods that might help me get more reps in? My goal is to get to 20x pull ups in the future.

Currently I am 94 kilos in weight and have longer arms so, it makes pull ups a little more difficult. I am committed though to losing the extra kilos and getting in shape.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Whats best for increasing pull ups?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Hey man, welcome to the forums. Have a look at the bar-barian beginners thread.

As to how to increase your reps, try density training, full pyramids (both sides) and weighted pull-pullups. Add in static holds and negatives at the end of Max rep sets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zark

PostSubject: Re: Whats best for increasing pull ups?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks Tim,

I have been thinking about taking the pyramid both up and down to give myself some extra volume.

I'm not sure how to increase the reps though? If I do 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 then do I just add an extra rep as so 2-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1? What time would you increase number 5?

Maybe I am over thinking it all and just need to do my pull ups Very Happy

Thanks for the help though. Will check out the link posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Whats best for increasing pull ups?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:07 pm

I would go till you can't do anymore for the pyramid, and train GTG maybe 3-4days a week.Ex: 20sets of 20 pull ups each week increase the reps, sets or both. I think GTG is the best method for anything, basics+repetition= stronger!Hope this helps some.Goodluck!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Whats best for increasing pull ups?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Zark wrote:
Thanks Tim,

I have been thinking about taking the pyramid both up and down to give myself some extra volume.

I'm not sure how to increase the reps though? If I do 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 then do I just add an extra rep as so 2-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1? What time would you increase number 5?

Maybe I am over thinking it all and just need to do my pull ups Very Happy

Thanks for the help though. Will check out the link posted.

Stick 1 on to everything so you end up with a 2 - 6 - 2 pyramid, or double the numbers so you do 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2

Or grease the groove as lou says :-) (knew I forgot something in that list)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: this should be stickied   Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Pyramid Training for Pullups with John Sifferman
Pyramid training is a very effective means of increasing your strength and endurance. I have used pyramid training with great success for increasing my pullup numbers. I remember one pyramid training program I did years ago that involved a lot of bodyweight exercise.

It was a military PT program, and I committed myself to it for 12 weeks. When I started, I could do 7 full, military-grade pullups. That means your chin is clearly over the bar every repetition, and your elbows lock at the bottom of EVERY repetition. There is no room for sissy pullups in the Navy, and I didn’t leave any room for them in my pyramid training program. After 12 weeks, I could do 31 pullups in one set, and I attribute my excellent success to pyramid training.

Here is a pyramid training video to help you increase your pullup numbers:

Pyramid Training for Pullups

The progression is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = 25 total pullups

Alternatively, you can do doubles like this: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 = 50 pullups

The progression 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = 100 pullups

Rest times need not be strict with pyramid training. The most important rule is that you set a target number and get there. Completion is more important than the speed at which you progress through the levels. Generally, I use as little as 15 seconds of rest on lower levels, and up to 60 seconds on upper levels.

Pyramid training isn’t only effective for pullups, it can be used for any exercise. Some other favorites are bodyweight squats, lunges, bench step-ups, pushups, and plank holds for time (each set is a longer time limit).

Try pyramid training out and your body will thank you.

this should be stickied

also if you are strong enough to add weight then try this along with your normal routine. wearing a 30-45lb weight,or what ever weight you can add for 10 reps, perform 10 reps & then pull off the weight and do do 10 reps=1 set. So 10 weighted & 10 unweighted =1 set. Repeat for 10 sets. That is from someone with experience.

2 kettel bells works too. Ive seen people do this personally. Hook 2 moderate weight kbs on your toes and perform 1 rep, 2nd rep drop 1 kb, 3rd rep no kbs. So first rep=2 kbs, 2nd rep=1kb, 3rd rep=no kbs. Repeat. If you dont have KBs then use whatever that you can for weight. You can pretty much experiment with these formulas until they suit your capability
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats best for increasing pull ups?   

Back to top Go down

Whats best for increasing pull ups?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1