Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Complete Beginner Looking For Help.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CTurner

PostSubject: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Hey Guys.

I've always been fairly slim but never been very strong or had any mass or definition. I decided to change that and bought a bar and set of dumbbells around 2 months ago. Since then, i've been doing a simple routine with curls and dummbbell presses etc but i haven't felt much of a change and i haven't progressed very far in reps or added weight.

After hunting round online i found this forum and have spent the last hour or so reading through it and i must say, it got me pumped to get into a decent bar routine.

Unfortunately, i only have the "Power Bar." And the nearest park to me would be in Norwich, which is roughly 20 miles away so i'm limited on equipment and space.

At the moment, i can do 3-4 chin ups with good technique and can't even make the full movement on one pull up. My first target is to hit 10 chin ups and 2 pull ups, which for me is pretty hard considering the stage i'm at.

Can anyone help with a rough routine? Or exercises to help with pull ups rather than failing to complete one over and over until i manage it?

Thanks a lot.

Chris.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:46 pm

http://physicalliving.com/pyramid-training-for-pullups-with-john-sifferman/

Great foundation... and aim for full ROM dead hangers ONLY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:53 am

Thanks man. I'm actually going to try another one of his videos first, on how to complete your first unassisted pull up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uchal

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:19 am

http://twentypullups.com/node/11

Try this one.

Start from week -1 then progress yourself from week to week :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for the link, to me that looks like a better option since i have more of a schedule/routine to follow.

On another note, how much should i train?

I hear of some people training every other day throughout the week, some that train Mon/Weds/Fri with Tues/Thurs and the weekend to rest, and others training Monday to Friday with only the weekend off. I get that there'll be a certain element of personal preferance and knowing your limits, but what would be a sensible routine to start out with?

I'm concenrating mainly on pull ups and chin up at the moment if that helps. I was advised by a friend to do pull ups Mon/Weds/Fri with chin ups Tues/Thurs and the weekend as rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bared Joe

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:50 pm

Hey man!

I live in Norwich, where is the park?

But yeah, I was exactly the same! I just practiced push ups, to get my triceps and chest stronger, try creatine aswell really has helped me!

Try jumping up on the bar for a chin up, but lower yourself slowly really does help alot these are called negatives!

I never used to do pull ups found them to hard, but now im pulling off 5-8 with a 10kg vest! Do the same as you would for chins ups as I said above!

Good luck man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:38 am

Hey Joe.

To be honest i'm not 100% sure if there is one, not a dedicated workout park anyway. My mate said he's seen a few people training there and i figure since Norwich is the closest city to me, that's the most likely place to have something usable. I'm not actually in Norwich, i'm down the 140 in Diss. Got no decent parks at all here, not even a set of monkey bars in the little kiddy parks. And i can't afford a gym membership cos i'm out of work so i'm just using a bar at home to start out and build up the initial pull up and chin up strentgh.

I suck at calisthenics atm, since i'm just starting out. But once i've built up some decent strength a few months down the line we could meet up and look for a decent park near by?

If you've got anymore tips for starting out, like the best exercises and moves to train with or anything on nutrition, could you pm me with it?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 pm

pyramids are the way to go man trust me. Aim for dead hangers and also use alt grips. Also learn to use your back and twist the bar while in motion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CTurner

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:16 am

Yeah i tried the pyramid at first, but i can now do one decent pull up, although it's really slow. I find pyramids with 1 pull up a little un-rewarding for now. So i'm doing a five set mix of negatives and pull ups to increase my strength and reps slightly then i'll hit the pyramids properly.

This is an example of one i did yesterday...

Morning

1 x Negative pull up
1 x Negative pull up
1 x Pull up
1 x Negative pull up
1 x Pull up

I repeated the same sets in the afternoon as well, aiming for full ROM on each and slow descent on the negatives. Got any tips on the routine?

Also, i went for my first run in ages this morning. Made it around 300 yards before i was shattered. My legs felt alright, it was just my breathing that held me up. I walked around 100 yards or so to calm my breathing down then did another 300 or so til i was home. I know it really isn't a lot of cardio, but that's how out of shape i am Sad My cardio aim is to be able to run the whole route i do now in one go, then increase the distance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Take as much time as you need between sets/reps/while on bar to stay safe. Im assuming youre a younger guy, but safety is always the most important thing. Just base your pyramids/what ever routine you decide to stick with around your one rep/one set max. Maybe 6 times that. Not working untill failure is a solid key. Dont feel down and out cause you cant do high volume sets. At this stage It wouldnt be a good idea to try and jump right into high volume anyway. You might wanna grease the groove through out the day as awell. Also every time you go up try and use a differnt grip. Try and use your back too, cause as you progress youll find that that is where most of the pull up movement will come from
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complete Beginner Looking For Help.   

Back to top Go down

Complete Beginner Looking For Help.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1