Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iron Clad Ben

PostSubject: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi guys, stoked to be here. I live in Austin, I'm almost 30. Well my gym membership expired last week and as much as I enjoy strength training I was getting sick of doing the same stuff for the past 2 years. I saw some Calisthenic Kings videos a month or two ago and was immediately intruiged. I used to hold chinups for 1:30-2:00 as part of my workout, but never really got into bar stuff. I've always loved dips too. Now after watching bar workout vids on youtube, I'm super stoked to get into this stuff. My work is across the river from a sweet set of bars.

I guess my question is where the hell do I get started? I read somewhere that you should be able to do 20x pullups, chinups, dips, pushups, squats and lunges before you attempt any advanced stuff. So right now I am working on that. Is that right? And how many times a week should I be working out? I am training for a half-marathon right now so I'm only strength training twice a week.

Also, I've found that since I never do them, I SUCk at pull ups. I can do 2-3 of them (full extension) that's about it. Should I train negatives to get better at them? I think it's the category I need the most work out. Chinups, dips and pushups I'm much better at, in a relative sense.

So what I do to get better at chinups? Just lots of them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegangymrat.wordpress.com
CalisthenicsAndy

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:55 am

hmm... many people are different which im pretty sue you know... and i know people hate hearing this and so do i.. but i guess you just need to see if max reps, or higher sets works for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron Clad Ben

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 am

CalisthenicsAndy wrote:
you just need to see if max reps, or higher sets works for you.
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Back to top Go down
Tim

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Hi there Ben, and welcome to the forums Smile

First off, have a look at the Bar-barian Beginers thread, lots of helpful stuff in there Smile

I'm guessing that when you try doing pull-ups you back gives before your arms? If you want to get better at pull-ups, then try density training, pyramids and max sets - all will help you. On the negatives idea, yup these are good, do them after you've failed on the pull-ups. Eg you aim for 10 sets of 3, on the 4th set you can only do 2, so do 1 negative. By the 9th set you might be only doing negatives Smile

The 20 pullups/dips thing is a good idea, though when you get passed 10, you can start adding some extra weight on some of the sessions. - It's not a hard and fast rule, but it's a good guideline as by that point your tendons and ligaments will have strengthened too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:53 am

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iron Clad Ben

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks, it's been a while but my progress has been pretty good. Just hit 7 consecutive full-dangle chinups the other day. When I signed up on here I could barely do 2. This s**t is a blast!
Back to top Go down
Croatia

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Anyone in Austin texas to workout with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX   

Back to top Go down

New here, where do I get started? Austin, TX
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1