Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Question about Barbell Squats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fed X

PostSubject: Question about Barbell Squats   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:03 am

I know this is a calisthenics forum but I use the Olympic Barbell for most of my squats... What % of my body weight should I be squatting?!? I weigh 180-83lbs... also I dont have a squat rack, coming straight off of the floor... peace!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ.

PostSubject: Re: Question about Barbell Squats   Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:33 pm

MIC-kommando! wrote:
I know this is a calisthenics forum but I use the Olympic Barbell for most of my squats... What % of my body weight should I be squatting?!? I weigh 180-83lbs... also I dont have a squat rack, coming straight off of the floor... peace!!!

This is relative, depends on the time of training, the emphasis that is given to the legs... When I left gym (my time of training in gym: 1 year and a half), I squat ~2x my weight (i have 157lbs and squat 3sets x 8reps x 330lbs).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amadeuandrade
Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Question about Barbell Squats   Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 pm

I know of a guy who built a strong lower body with only using one 35lb dumbbell!!

He did it as an experiment and used a lot of static holds, super slow negatives and 1 legged exercises.

So I guess, to answer your question so to speak, 35lbs at least but you have to be ultra creative and disciplined as hell.. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: Question about Barbell Squats   Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:15 am

All depends how strong you are and how long you been doing them. I never maxed out in the squat i trained in my basement no spotter or safety racks i would squat with my back near the basement beam so if i fell back the beam would catch me if i fall forward there is a wall if i go down i was screwed,then after the set i would walk back to the bench to re - rack. If i was you i would do the 20 reps squat routine its brutal i built up to 275lbs. for 25 reps,135lbs. for 139. Like john said you can get stronger with lighter weight i now wear a 70lb. vest while holding a 70lb. dumbbell to act like a front squat they work great, don't always think heavy be creative.

My leg routine 4 days a week every 2 weeks i increase the difficulty.
Quick 3 mile run 16-18mins.
70lbs.vest + 70lbs. dumbbell
4setsx25 reps 2 min. rest

70lbs. vest
4sets x 25 reps 1 min. rest

70lbs. vest 20 lunges+5squats at the end
4sets x 25 reps 2 min. rest

Body-weight Squats
20-25 sets x 25 reps :25 second rest

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Question about Barbell Squats   Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:08 pm

that is awesome ironloo... Someone here awnsered question based on advice given to him by his football buddy... He basically told me that they squat %60-80% of body weight... So I decided to go for 62% for starters at 5x5 or 8x5 plus added sets thru out the day alonmg with barbell lunges... Also when I do HIT interval runs I always try and incorporate at least some type Hill Sprinting... Not really sure of yardage but its decent... There is a really nice and long hill coming into town that I may start sprinting on soon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Barbell Squats   

Back to top Go down

Question about Barbell Squats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1