Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fed X

PostSubject: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi I dont have a vest or dip belt so I have to improvise when needed... when working towards an overall goal such as strength, is adding weight using a book bag, or holding concrete blocks with knees or with feet, is as effective as a real weight belt/weight vest... I could certainly imagine there is a different weight distribution ratio, but is that much of a very signifigant overall difference when working towards a goal such as strength... This would seem to be "common sense" but could some one please elaborate... thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:19 pm

The significant difference IS about weight distribution. A belt distributes the weight evenly around your pelvis, a vest keeps it evenly distributed close to your torso. Neither areas will fatigue before your arms as it uses the skeletal structure to support it rather than musculature. Consequently their as good as each other.
- Vest is a bit more portable, i'd take a vest to a park away from home, wouldn't take plates
- Plates/belt are probably cheaper and definitely more available and flexible.

If you use heavy weights in a rucksack/book bag etc you run the risk of damaging at the minimum, the bag, but also quite likely to damage your back and/or shoulders because the weight is distributed far from where it pulls (ie your shoulders) and also it's not kept close to you so will pull more on your shoulders. (I'll say at this point that I personally wouldn't try anything in a rucksack above 10kg)

Using a concrete block on your knees will massively engage your core, this well end up being the limiting factor rather than your arms. A good core work out for sure, but it wont push your arms to their limit Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:49 pm

I usually load that bookbag with at least 40-50lbs...plus Ill hold the 42 pound block with feet while wearing bookbag for added weight...only bad part about this is my bar is kind of high so I have to stand on tip toes with feet in block holes & sometimes a lil jump to reach it...maybe if I put the book bag on front of torso instead of back would that make a huge difference

also wearing book bag on front of torso opposed to back of torso while doing dips...whats the differnce...thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nguyenquanghung

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:21 pm

i get a bag,and put 5 dictionary,8,5kg weight,and 20 l of water
it's about 30 kg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:26 pm

nguyenquanghung wrote:
i get a bag,and put 5 dictionary,8,5kg weight,and 20 l of water
it's about 30 kg

thats awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buster

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:02 pm

I finally bought a weight vest, but before that I used a backpack loaded with weights. Instead of putting it on my back (bad for your body and muscles) I would step into one of the arm straps and tighten it so the backpack hung from around my waist. It actually worked very well.

MIC-kommando! wrote:
I usually load that bookbag with at least 40-50lbs...plus Ill hold the 42 pound block with feet while wearing bookbag for added weight...only bad part about this is my bar is kind of high so I have to stand on tip toes with feet in block holes & sometimes a lil jump to reach it...maybe if I put the book bag on front of torso instead of back would that make a huge difference

also wearing book bag on front of torso opposed to back of torso while doing dips...whats the differnce...thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:27 am

WeightVest = Is the most comfortable but really off balance when 100lbs.+ pul ups feel wierd.I use these when at the park portable.
Concrete block = is the best to strengthen your core and fun to use.
Olympic plates = with a dip belt this is my favorite way to add weight and especially over 100lbs. this to me is the best just not portable.
Bookbag = i had to use this at on time, last resort i didn't like it especially for any explosive movements.

Use what you got its better than nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Italian Stallion wrote:
I finally bought a weight vest, but before that I used a backpack loaded with weights. Instead of putting it on my back (bad for your body and muscles) I would step into one of the arm straps and tighten it so the backpack hung from around my waist. It actually worked very well.

MIC-kommando! wrote:

I will hang book bag from waist AND if I want more weight put feet inside concrete block also for added weight and even dist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 pm

ironloo wrote:
WeightVest = Is the most comfortable but really off balance when 100lbs.+ pul ups feel wierd.I use these when at the park portable.
Concrete block = is the best to strengthen your core and fun to use.
Olympic plates = with a dip belt this is my favorite way to add weight and especially over 100lbs. this to me is the best just not portable.
Bookbag = i had to use this at on time, last resort i didn't like it especially for any explosive movements.

Use what you got its better than nothing.

was at Wal Mart/KMart and the heaviset vest that they have is like 20lbs... will be buying 80+ lb ZFO pretty soon... I dont have a way to really put the block on my knees while pulling up so I just stick my feet inside... maybe will aim to stick feet inside AND THEN raise knees... also the belts weight dist seems so perfect just not portable... maybe I will get both belt and vest and use belt/vest combo for working out at home... I quit using my bench COMPLETELY except for squats and 45 Plates are just laying around the house
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG   

Back to top Go down

WEIGHT VEST VS CONCRETE BLOCKS VS OLYMPIC PLATES VS BOOKBAG
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1