Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Help on number of pullups!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NastyStrength

PostSubject: Help on number of pullups!   Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:42 am

I've been doing pullups for about a year or so & i was improving fast for the 1st few months ( from 0 - 12 ) , however, after i reached 12 pullups , i seem to have reached a plateau and didnt improve for a couple of months already. After reading some threads here, i guess my problem is doing max no. of pullups every training. I want to improve my number of pullups wat suggestions do you guys have for me? Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Help on number of pullups!   Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:36 pm

ladders,pyramids,weights,alt grips,bend the bar,use your back,cross your legs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seraphsquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Help on number of pullups!   Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:49 am

whats ur current training like?

there seem to be 2 schools of thought abt training.

1) greasing the groove. if u hav a pullup bar nearby, try doing abt 50% max reps every hour or so. not enough to get tired though, so stay fresh enough throughout the day. the idea is to get ur central nervous system used to the motion.

2) 3 days a week, do ur pullup workout. whether its ladders, pyramids, etc, do till near (but not at) failure. for me, when i used to train i did 3 sets of abt 70%. at the end, the last rep should be near the most u can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gooberhead

PostSubject: Re: Help on number of pullups!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:12 am

Seraphsquirrel wrote:
whats ur current training like?

there seem to be 2 schools of thought abt training.

1) greasing the groove. if u hav a pullup bar nearby, try doing abt 50% max reps every hour or so. not enough to get tired though, so stay fresh enough throughout the day. the idea is to get ur central nervous system used to the motion.

2) 3 days a week, do ur pullup workout. whether its ladders, pyramids, etc, do till near (but not at) failure. for me, when i used to train i did 3 sets of abt 70%. at the end, the last rep should be near the most u can do.

Is there a good schedule for weekends when I can "grease the groove"........and then the workweek when I can do the other 70% stuff........where do weighted pullups fit in?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Seraphsquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Help on number of pullups!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:41 am

for the greasing the groove method, the idea is to actually do it every day. yep, that does mean u will be heading to a pullup bar very often. assuming due to work u only have 6pm to 10pm free, that means everyday on 6,7 pm etc u go to a bar and do say.. 10 pullups? not to many that u become tired though. http://www.notyouraveragefitnesstips.com/best-workout-routines/grease-the-groove-how-to-increase-pushups-increase-pull-ups

instead of doing that, u can just skip greasing the groove entirely, and do pullup sets 3 times a week like i mentioned.

OR if u want to, u can combine both, which i think is what u are askin for. i havent tried doing so before, but what i think might help would be greasing the groove on the days that u do not do pullup sets.

e.g

mon: 3xset pullups. feel v tired after this
tues: grease the groove. feel alright even after the last hour
wed: 3xset
thurs: grease
fri: 3xset
sat:grease
sun:grease

edit: as for weighted pullups, i would think u replace the normal pullups with them if u want to do weighted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Help on number of pullups!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 am

Gooberhead wrote:

Is there a good schedule for weekends when I can "grease the groove"........and then the workweek when I can do the other 70% stuff........where do weighted pullups fit in?
Thanks

The beautiful thing about training is if you work hard and regularly do some, it will help. It doesn't really matter what 'workout' you do, it's all good Smile. In fact changing regularly what you do is a good thing and keeps it all interesting!

The idea behind grease the groove is get to get you central nervous system (CNS) to adapt to the move and so it knows how best to perform it in an efficient manner. To do this, you need to do a number of sets at regular time intervals. It's a fantastic way of working on some of the harder moves when you can only manage 1 or 2 at a time.

You could do something like 10 hours, doing 1 set every hour (this set could be anything from 25 press-ups to 3 handstand push-ups or a super set of 3 muscle-ups, 10 straight bar dips, 10 pull-ups... you get the idea Wink )

Alternatively you could do a shorter period with a bit less rest, say 3 hours, doing 5 pull-ups every 20 mins.

I do maybe 1-2 grease the groove workouts throughout a month, as time allows (though during marking season, i might end up doing it 5 days in a row! )

The rest of the time, i just do normal workouts varying pyramids/max-sets/fixed number sets etc etc.

In terms of when to do a weighted day you could just replace a normal work out with a weighted one, or mix the 2 together and do 1 max set of weighted pull-ups followed immediately by 1 max set of pull-ups without the weight.

MIC gives a good range of ways to increase your reps,

pyramids, a series of sets increasing by a fixed amount to a certain number then back down to the start. eg 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 or 3,6,9,12,15,12,9,6,3. Try and limit the rest to 10-20 seconds(without weight, more if you use weight)

Ladders (also called density training) are a similar idea, low rest(10-20s) but a fixed number of reps for a large number of sets, say 3 reps for 10 sets.

Both of these are excellent ways of increasing reps, and though easy at the start, they are a challenge at the end due to the lack of rest.

Alternate grips is good too as it puts a bias on different muscles in the movement, eg wide grip pull-ups works the back more than normal grip ones. close grip works the biceps more Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help on number of pullups!   

Back to top Go down

Help on number of pullups!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1