Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How should a correct workout program be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello.

I read many things about the pull ups but all I learned is a cunfusion!

Well, could someone please explain me what increases the strength and what increases the endurance of a muscle? How should I workout inorder to become capable of doing muscle ups?

For instance.

How is doing a set like : 7 X 6 X 5 = 18

compared to doing it like this : 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 X 3 = 18

or this : 1 X 1X 2 X 3 X 4 X 3 X 2 X 1 X 1 = 18

in each of them, I ultimately do 18 pull ups but which way is better?

I am really confused about this.

Thank you very much indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Ultimately they are all good, just in different ways. IT mostly comes down to the rest you have between sets as much as anything.

For example doing 3 sets of 6 (if 6 was about you max) you would need to take more rest between sets than if you did 6x 3reps or a 1-1-4-1-1 pyramid.

They all effectively increase your endurance - and therefore you strength to an extent.

If you want to work on strength (especially explosive strength needed for muscle-ups) using a weight (vest) and adding in static holds will help Smile
(Though wait untill you can do about 10+ pull-ups with full ROM first Smile )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks for your answer.

What do you mean by "ROM"?

I can maybe use a backpack for the weight trick...Do you think that a back pack and a weight vest are the same. Maybe they are not because on a weight vest the weight is distributed much more evenly I think?

Thank you...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:45 pm

ROM is range of movement. As in make sure you come all the way down till your arms are (almost) locked out and similarly make sure you go as high as you can - at least chin/adams apple over the bar.

For low weights a back pack works fine - i wouldn't want to go much higher than 5-10kg due to strain from the straps (plus the bag might not cope)

You can also use a weight belt too Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Oh so I can do 7 full ROM pull ups up to the chin. So need to add 3 more full ROM pull ups to reach the base level you stated Smile

But I think for the muscle up, dips also should be strong. Yea?

And as being a diver I can use my weight belt to deal with the weight part of the workout I believe. Hehe.

I will see... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Yup, dips should definitely be strong too! Try to practice straight bar dips and get as low as you can Smile

And yeah a divers belt will help too Smile

(The minimum is to help prepare your tendons as well as muscles Smile - stops you getting hurt! )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:00 pm

This dip part of the whole thing is a pain. I work on dips a lot but I am too week about them. I canot do a proper single one. I do not know how I must deal with this situation. I work dimond push ups which I heard is good for dips. I also do bench dips. Bench dips are easy yet dips on parallel bars and horizontal bar is a big pain. I must somehow solve this issue...Do not know how?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:41 pm

If you can't do that many dips, then you should do negatives where you start from the top position and lower yourself slowly. When that is easy for you and if you still can't do that many dips, start adding in a 3 second hold in a position on every negative (about the middle of the movement). Keep on doing this and adding more static holds in your negatives until you feel comfortable with your full ROM dip repetitions to start a workout with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes negatives is what I do! But I do not do static holds so I will try this one. Thanks for the comment! Smile

Thank you....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How should a correct workout program be?   

Back to top Go down

How should a correct workout program be?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1