Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Cant seem to get a good routine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reppin

PostSubject: Cant seem to get a good routine   Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey guys,

Tonight i've been trying to do the daWALLi's Workout

Push ups 20/17
Pull ups 15/14/
Dips 20/25
Chin ups 2/

This is what i ended up with besides total demotivation due to me not even being able to complete 10 sets.

I think i just cant seem to find a good routine, this seemed really solid but i just didn't have the energy or something.
And when i end up not doing someone elses routine i end up freestyling and this will end up me not even being soar the day after and doing things like 100+ pull ups, 20 push ups, 250 bench dips and 0 chin ups, aka totally out of balance.
Another reason i stopped earlier is because my hands are completely torn up, burn blisters etc.

I'd love to hear some of your reviews on this

Thanks in advance,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Derrick

PostSubject: Re: Cant seem to get a good routine   Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Reppin wrote:
Hey guys,

Tonight i've been trying to do the daWALLi's Workout

Push ups 20/17
Pull ups 15/14/
Dips 20/25
Chin ups 2/

This is what i ended up with besides total demotivation due to me not even being able to complete 10 sets.

I think i just cant seem to find a good routine, this seemed really solid but i just didn't have the energy or something.
And when i end up not doing someone elses routine i end up freestyling and this will end up me not even being soar the day after and doing things like 100+ pull ups, 20 push ups, 250 bench dips and 0 chin ups, aka totally out of balance.
Another reason i stopped earlier is because my hands are completely torn up, burn blisters etc.

I'd love to hear some of your reviews on this

Thanks in advance,

Well i think the reason why no single routine suits you is because you do not have specific goals. I've been there - trying various routines, different training methods up to the point where I realised I had no clear goals and no idea what training was supposed to bring me.
My advice - set specific goals (wanna do muscle-up, wanna do a split, wanna learn planche, wanna be like zef, wanna obtain black belt in something, wanna pass bar-barians requirements etc.) and almost everyone on this forum can provide you with a solid routine towards achieving your goals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: base your routine around the basics...start with ladders/pyramids and add on   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:36 pm

How to Get Stronger at Push-ups and Pull-ups Using a Soviet Special Forces Technique
I want to explain to you a method of how to get stronger at push-ups and pull-ups. I found out about this method from former Soviet special forces trainer, Pavel Tsatsouline. Pavel is a guy I began following closely since the late 90's. I was just fascinated by his advanced strength training methods that were unlike anything I had read in the mainstream fitness magazines. His methods were based around training elite military forces how to stay light and lean, while gaining amazing strength. I began studying this guy like a mad-man. Here is just one of the many techniques I learned from this master trainer from the former Soviet Union.

[Here is a photo of a fighter plane from the former Soviet Union. I'm quickly becoming a history buff and I'm fascinated by the former USSR in particular. I vividly remember watching The Olympics in the 70's and 80's...and their dominance in many of the sports made an impact on me as a child.]

Get Stronger by "Greasing the Groove"

Greasing the Groove, or GTG for short, is based on the principle of "synaptic facilitation"…doing frequent, non-exhaustive sets of a specific exercise to strengthen the nerve pathway. So doing the same lift multiple times per week, but training short of failure. This is a method used by Bulgarian and Russian weight-lifters which has allowed them to dominate in many of the Olympic lifts over the years. Theses guys actually train a lift multiple times per day.
"Practicing a Lift" is How I Look at This Technique
I like to look at gaining strength as a skill, similar to any other physical skill. The more you practice a certain skill or movement, the better your body becomes a doing that movement. Take a golf swing for instance…many golfers practice their golf swing each and every day. The reason they do this is to develop a "groove" where the body gets more efficient at performing that movement. They are strengthening the neural pathways to perform that movement, the more they practice it.
Lifting to Failure is Where Most People Go Wrong
Lifting to failure is fine when you are trying to break down the muscle and gain mass, but it isn't the best way to gain strength. The problem with lifting to failure is that it develops fatigue. Once a muscle is fatigued, it reduces its ability to contract hard. Repeated hard contractions are the key to greasing the groove and getting stronger in a movement. You are after strong neural impulses multiple times per week or day to strengthen the neural pathways, so fatigue is to be avoided.

How Pavel Taught Soviets to Meet "Spetsnaz" Requirements
The "Spetsnaz" were the special forces unit of the Soviet military. One of the physical requirements was to do 18 pull-ups with a 22 pound weighted vest. He designed a special pull-up workout that allowed these guys to easily reach that requirement, with 1-2 pull-up workouts per day. His calls this technique "ladders".
How to Use Ladders to Get Strong at Pull-ups or Push-ups
Here is Pavel describing this technique…"We would file out to the pull-up bars and perform what we called ladders. I do a pull-up, you do one. I do two, you match me, etc. until one of us cannot keep up. Then, if we still had time, we started over. One rep, 2 reps, 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10… 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,… 1,2,3,4,5. We totaled hundreds of pull-ups almost daily without burning out, and the extreme PT tests of our service were a breeze."
Understanding the Concept of Why Ladders Work…
If you understand why ladders work, you can implement this principle into your workout. Here is how Pavel puts it…"high-volume plus specificity minus burnout". Put into simple terms…you are doing many sets of one exercise short of failure to improve in that one exercise. The key with the ladder is to stop 1-2 reps short of failure…preferably two reps.
Remember High-Volume + Fatigue is to Be Avoided
High volume in this case will not develop excess mass, because fatigue is avoided. If done properly there will not be muscle breakdown and excessively sore muscles. Make sure and follow the advice of stopping short of failure. I know this is a big contrast to the typical bodybuilding approach of "forced reps to get big and strong"…but the "Spetsnaz" approach is MUCH more effective.
Here is Pavel Tsatsouline's Main Website…
Back when I was following Pavel, he had only one book (Power to the People). It still is one of my favorites, but now he has a bunch of things going on —> Dragon Door – Pavel Tsatsouline
Note: This is one of those tips that can be implemented in creative ways into your routine. To me, the concept behind why ladders work is where you will get the best value from this method. You also don't need a partner to do these…just rest the same amount of time it took you to complete the set. The principles applied properly will help you improve in any lift.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Cant seem to get a good routine   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Pyramid Training for Pullups with John Sifferman
Pyramid training is a very effective means of increasing your strength and endurance. I have used pyramid training with great success for increasing my pullup numbers. I remember one pyramid training program I did years ago that involved a lot of bodyweight exercise.

It was a military PT program, and I committed myself to it for 12 weeks. When I started, I could do 7 full, military-grade pullups. That means your chin is clearly over the bar every repetition, and your elbows lock at the bottom of EVERY repetition. There is no room for sissy pullups in the Navy, and I didn’t leave any room for them in my pyramid training program. After 12 weeks, I could do 31 pullups in one set, and I attribute my excellent success to pyramid training.

Here is a pyramid training video to help you increase your pullup numbers:

Pyramid Training for Pullups

The progression is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = 25 total pullups

Alternatively, you can do doubles like this: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 = 50 pullups

The progression 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = 100 pullups

Rest times need not be strict with pyramid training. The most important rule is that you set a target number and get there. Completion is more important than the speed at which you progress through the levels. Generally, I use as little as 15 seconds of rest on lower levels, and up to 60 seconds on upper levels.

Pyramid training isn’t only effective for pullups, it can be used for any exercise. Some other favorites are bodyweight squats, lunges, bench step-ups, pushups, and plank holds for time (each set is a longer time limit).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Cant seem to get a good routine   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Leg Workout: Step-Ups, Lunges, Pistol Squats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcSti54z1ao
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cant seem to get a good routine   

Back to top Go down

Cant seem to get a good routine