Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I don't understand the pullup ladder...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheSecondName

PostSubject: I don't understand the pullup ladder...    Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:01 am

I've searched around the internet about the ladder, and a few threads here on this board... but I don't understand the exactly things about it... can someone please explain me the right way step by step?

I can do 10 pullups on my own, so how should my ladder routine look like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: I don't understand the pullup ladder...    Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:40 am

THE LADDER METHOD
For your first set, perform half your max number of pullups. (For example, if you can do 10, perform only five. Rest 30 seconds, then perform one more rep than you did in your last set (in this example, six). Continue resting and adding a rep in this fashion until you can no longer perform a full pullup with good form. At that point, go back down the "ladder" by performing one less rep than you did on your last set, resting the same time between sets. Continue until you're back at the number of reps you did on the very first set. Do this twice a week. In each succeeding week, try to do one more rep on the set you got the most reps with going up the ladder. When you reach your max number of reps in this fashion (in this example, 10), complete your next workout with a 10-pound weight attached to your waist
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: I don't understand the pullup ladder...    Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:17 pm

How Pavel Taught Soviets to Meet "Spetsnaz" Requirements
The "Spetsnaz" were the special forces unit of the Soviet military. One of the physical requirements was to do 18 pull-ups with a 22 pound weighted vest. He designed a special pull-up workout that allowed these guys to easily reach that requirement, with 1-2 pull-up workouts per day. His calls this technique "ladders".
How to Use Ladders to Get Strong at Pull-ups or Push-ups
Here is Pavel describing this technique…"We would file out to the pull-up bars and perform what we called ladders. I do a pull-up, you do one. I do two, you match me, etc. until one of us cannot keep up. Then, if we still had time, we started over. One rep, 2 reps, 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10… 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,… 1,2,3,4,5. We totaled hundreds of pull-ups almost daily without burning out, and the extreme PT tests of our service were a breeze."
Understanding the Concept of Why Ladders Work…
If you understand why ladders work, you can implement this principle into your workout. Here is how Pavel puts it…"high-volume plus specificity minus burnout". Put into simple terms…you are doing many sets of one exercise short of failure to improve in that one exercise. The key with the ladder is to stop 1-2 reps short of failure…preferably two reps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't understand the pullup ladder...    

Back to top Go down

I don't understand the pullup ladder...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1