Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bar-barian Beginners!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tim

PostSubject: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:29 am

Many people come to this site asking for a routine to help them get stronger, build more mass or lose weight. Simply, a routine to get their ideal body. However you’ll find no such thing here; simply because there’s no such thing as a single routine that will work for everyone.

Everyone is different and everyone comes into the game at a different level. You might be fine doing 5 pull-ups, where as someone else can't even do 1, and a third might even be able to do 30 pull-ups straight off the bat. Coupled with the fact that everyone has different equipment, expectations and time constraints there is just no way a single routine could come close to satisfying everyone (or even a majority).

The best thing to do is have a look throughout these forums, especially the training routines and training logs, and build your own routine from that.

Below are several links and posts that will hopefully help you out.
Warm-ups
Terms
Exercise Tutorials
Sample Routines
What Exercises Focus on What Muscles?
Food

Last little bit of advice, use the forum search function! It will guide you to all the previously asked questions... your question will most likely have been asked before, so have a look Wink

This thread will continue to grow (I hope), and if anyone wants to contribute or add links and other bits please feel free and I’ll update the main posts.

Good luck in all your training Smile

Last edited by Tim on Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:29 am

Warm-ups
Warming up is possibly the most important part of your routine. Ignoring this section will dramatically increase the risk of getting an injury which will hinder your work outs.

A couple of simple warm-ups are
Shoulder warm-up - important for any bar work (pull-ups, dips, etc)
Wrist warm-up - important for any hand balancing work, (handstand, planche, muscle-up, russian dips, etc)
Back conditioning and Core Conditioning

Last edited by Tim on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:29 am

Terms
There are many terms which you’ll find on the site, I shall hopefully cover all of them here.

Pyramids - A block of sets which increase in reps up to a certain point and then drop back down again. e.g. 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1, 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2.

Supersets - 2 or more exercises done back to back in each set, these often use opposing muscle pairs such as pull-ups and dips for back & biceps and chest & triceps.

Density Training Doing lots (10+) of small sets with very little rest (10-15 seconds) to achieve a bigger overall total. Eg 10 sets of 5 reps to get 50 reps

Dirty 30’s The dirty 30s are 3 sets of 10 reps of pull-ups, dips, press-ups which are then then repeated till failure with NO REST!
Variations on this are
Dirty 20s Pull-ups, Dips,
Dirty 40s pull-ups, dips, press-ups, squats
Dirty 50s pull-ups, dips, press-ups, squats, sit-ups.

Grease the groove Doing a small set often (every 30mins/1 hour) through out the day. This is usually used to work on particularly hard moves where you can only do a small number of reps. (The early part of handstand push-up training for instance). It builds up CNS efficiency and gets lots of practice in Smile

Rest and reps How much rest to have between sets/exercises and how many reps to do in each set is an often asked question, and to be honest a hard one to answer. However it can be simplified a bit too, if you are finding you exercise to easy either increase the reps or decrease the rest time between sets (or both). If you are finding it too hard, simply do the opposite and increase the rest time, or decrease the reps a little.

Last edited by Tim on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:30 am

Exercise Tutorials
Al Kavadlo’s site has a wide range or useful tutorials
Pull-up
Muscle-up
Ring Muscle-up

Last edited by Tim on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Sample routines
To give a head start to making your own routines, here are a selection of different ones.
Metriculous grip training
daWalli’s drop superset
Cardio and muscle Endurance

and my own training log can be found here.

If you still want someone to build your own routines for you then you need a personal trainer, i’d recommend talking to either Metin Dabak (aka Little BeastM) or Al Kavadlo if you are in NY,USA

Last edited by Tim on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

What exercises focus on what muscles?
The question “How can I get bigger/stronger XXX” is frequently asked, so here’s a compilation of what exercises hit which muscles. If things get too easy, throw on a weight vest (or belt/rucksack with water bottles in etc) and have another go. Or try and do it all one handed!

Biceps - Bodyweight Rows, Chin-ups, Close-grip Pull-ups, Australian(upside-down) Pull-ups, Front Levers, Front Lever Pull-ups, Straight arm planche (especially fingers facing backwards)

Triceps - Diamond Press-ups, Dips, Straight-bar/Bulgarian Dips, Tricep Dips, Handstand (Press-ups), Planche (Press-ups)

Lats - Wide-grip Pull-ups, (and all the other pull-ups...)

Traps - Phorm Pull-ups, Handstand (Press-ups), Planche (Press-ups)

Chest - Wide Press-ups, Wide Dips, Planche (Press-ups)

Wrists - False Grip Pull-ups(Muscle-ups), Russian Dips, Tigerbend to Handstand.

Shoulder Girdle - Skin-the-cat, Front Lever, Back Lever, Planche

Core (abs) - Sit-ups, Knee raises, Leg raises, L-sit, Dragon Flags, Front Lever

Core (back) - Back Raises, Dragon Flags, Back Lever, Planche

Core (sides) - Windscreen wipers, Flags

Legs - Hill sprints, Squats, Pistols, Calf Raises Lunges

What moves to progress on to
Al Kavadlo's article on different levels of body weight exercise
*What Al calls Australian Pull-ups I'd call bodyweight rows.*

FAQ
How do I work out the lower abs?
You don’t. Your abs are one single block of muscle, you work out all of it at once. Your body fat percentage is (and to an extent your genetics as well are) the deciding factor on whether you have a 4, 6 or 8 pack stomach.

Last edited by Tim on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:45 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

Food
Food, Nutrition and Supplements, probably one of the top discussions in the world. Fitness guru's all have their different opinions on what's the best things for you and Governments too (at least here in the UK) try to say what's best and what's not.

Amazingly the perfect diet is like the perfect routine. There isn't one! or more the point, there's about 7 billion of them. Each one of us is different, we have different lifestyles, different metabolisms, different aims; simply put, we are all different! So it's really no surprise that no single diet will work for everyone. So instead of trying to give something that doesn't exist i'm going to try and cover some basic points that will hopefully help guide YOU to finding YOUR perfect diet.

Calories
Calories come from everything you eat, and it's the unit of measure for the energy your body uses. To stay the same weight you need to simply eat as many calories as you use. If you work out lots... eat more to maintain weight, if you want to put on weight, again, you're going to need to eat more. Consequently if you want to loose weight you need to eat less and create a calorie deficit.

When you eat all this is mostly irrelevant (eating right before bed will not make you fat) and similarly the number of meals isn't vastly important inn comparison to WHAT you eat. Having said that, eating more meals is a good way to help you get extra calories as simply making a bigger breakfast/lunch/tea isn't always feasible. - I for one, can only eat so much at one sitting... having a second meal a few hours later is much easier than eating more at one.

What to eat
Everything! The key is to get a balanced diet, how much and of what is going to be down to you to figure out but here are some pointers

Carbs - These are not the enemy, these are in fact where you get your energy from. What kind of carbs you have is far more important.
Complex carbs - such as those found in wholegrain products, potatos and vegetables - are what you want, they give slow release energy and are much better than....
Simple carbs - sugar!, a fair amount of processed food including cheap breads contain these, they are fast release energy (which can be good, say just before a work out) but during the rest of the time aren't great.

Fat - Again, this is not a bad thing, if you don't have any you actually put your body at risk! Try not to have lots and lots of it, but make sure you have some of both saturated fat (good for cell creation) and unsaturated fat (good for CNS)

Protein
This is pretty important... you're muscles are made of it, and when you work out, you break parts of your muscle tissue. Protein is then used to fix them and get you stronger. Try to get a variety of protein throughout the week, this includes getting protein from non-animal sources such as pulses/grains and beans as you will pick up lots of micro-nutrients with all the variety.
How much protein should I have?
As much as you need! The US guideline for average people is one-third of your weight (in lbs) in grams. So a 100lb person would want about 35g of protein. Obviously if you are working hard everyday you will need to increase this, something along the lines of 1gram protein per lb body weight if you are doing 2 hours of hard exercise might be a good start. Smile
What about protein shakes?
All they are is raw protein. They wont magically make you put on a 10kg of muscle, that comes from working out Wink

However, they can be useful for getting some of the protein you need as they provide a quick, instant source of it (and reasonably cheaply). However eating natural sources of protein will be better for you as you also gain lots of nice micro-nutrients.

If you are going to use one try and get a nice simple one. ie protein (and flavouring) only, and doesn't have an ingredients list as long as your arm! (As an example, having a 60g portion of Holland and Barret's Whey protein may cause you to suffer from phosphorus poisoning! Fun...)

Water/fluid
Lastly, fluids! You need to keep yourself well hydrated, make sure you drink plenty throughout the day, preferably plain water for the most part. A simple test to see if you're well hydrated is to look at your pee! If it's clear or has a slight yellow tinge it's all good! If it's deep yellow then you need to drink way more. (If it's brown/green/blue you probably should see a doctor...)

Last edited by Tim on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
King Cobra

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:15 am

this needs to be stickied, great post!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 am

King Cobra wrote:
this needs to be stickied, great post!

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am

+1 for sticky!!! I hope it get on top forever cause it helps much!

Maybe on exercises u can sort them with difficulty too, i think Al has made an article for something like this in mastering ur bodyweight or soemthing like that.

Also u maybe want to right about how to work more for endurance or for strength or about static holds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DNL

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 am

Great topic Tim, a lot of great information for starters! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:16 am

1stratos1 wrote:
+1 for sticky!!! I hope it get on top forever cause it helps much!

Maybe on exercises u can sort them with difficulty too, i think Al has made an article for something like this in mastering ur bodyweight or soemthing like that.

Also u maybe want to right about how to work more for endurance or for strength or about static holds.
Thought I'd mostly sorted them in order of difficulty already? Or do you mean have a separate progression chart for individual exercises?

I like the other ideas, i'll put something together for them soon Smile

DNL wrote:
Great topic Tim, a lot of great information for starters! cheers

Thanks bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah something like Basics, more extreme and maybe some requirements from basics that needs before starting working out for it, more advanced etc etc.
Example:
Beginner: Australian pull ups,push ups on elevated object or on knees,squats,calf raises, planks etc etc
Basics: Push ups, chin ups, dips , pull ups, lunges , one leg calf raises, leg raises etc etc
Advanced: Muscle ups(10 pull ups, 10 straight bar dips),Pistols

Or maybe
Pulling: Australian pull ups, pull up/chin up hold on top, chin ups, pull ups, close pull ups,wide pull ups, explosive pull ups chest high, kipping muscle ups, etc etc
Pushing: ....
Core: .....
I was thinking something like this, if u like it, do something like this if not its ok its just an idea Razz

edit: Al has made this: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/05/mastering-your-body-weight/ , u maybe like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 am

I do like Smile I might just link directly to it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Br_Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:29 am

Great topic!

@Tim: Nice compilation bro! You did an awesome job, props for that!

Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Great topic! thanks for all the work you put into this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 pm

props to Tim, Al Kavadlo and LBM. and props to everyone

Back to top Go down
View user profile
loganlion

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 am

good job tim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bared Joe

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Very helpful, Great work!

Cant wait to read what you say about food! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Very Happy Thanks everyone Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalisthenicsAndy

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:32 am

this was great!! Very Happy
i have been trying to figure out what density training was for bodyweight, cause when you google it, all it comes up with bodybuilding exercises. but this helped me understand so much
thanks tim ! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DontCallMeJimmy

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:43 pm

Gr8t Job....Definitely need to make this a Sticky
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.itsmyurls.com/jldivers4
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Been a while, but i finally added a bit on food Smile

Food
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fed X

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm

WOW!!! I been looking for the Terms post ever sice I stumbled across it a few weeks ago... Right on
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bar-barian Beginners!   

Back to top Go down

Bar-barian Beginners!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next