Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

High CPK in my blood, is it bad?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
1stratos1

PostSubject: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:18 am

Hello guys, i just have done recently a blood test and they found some values a bit high. BUT i heard that my CPK is at 283 and supposed to be from 20 (or 40 something like that) up to 190 so 283 is fairly high i guess.

Well doctor said this CPK has something to do with muscles fatigue etc and i must be careful and to workout a bit less. Well i havent gone to doctor , my mother did to show him the results but thats what he said to her.

Is that true? Shall i stop training for about a week or at least do much less?

Maybe its because i do sets of max out like trying to bear my last record really hard and this is not good to do it every time u workout???

Thnx a lot for ur replies in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gherman_eugen

PostSubject: Re: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:09 am

Creatine phosphokinase (CPK) is an enzyme that can be found in the heart, brain and skeletal muscle. A high level of CPK is not a good sign and is an indicator of heart attacks, strokes and other serious diseases. However some prescription drugs and other substances can cause levels of CPK to increase.

How CPK is Tested

CPK levels are tested in the blood. A doctor or nurse will draw blood from the patient and send it off to the laboratory for testing. This test may be ordered up to three times a day for patients who are in the hospital. People who have recently consumed alcohol, aspirin or used the drug cocaine will almost certainly have increased levels of CPK. Other drugs that can cause the level to rise include: amphotericin B, ampicillin, anesthetics, blood thinners, clofibrate, dexamethasone and furosemide.

Sometimes athletes who are in training or on special diets will have high levels due to the stress they are putting their body under to compete.

A level above 250 is considered abnormal.
Major Reasons CPK is High

If a patient has not consumed any of the above substances or drugs, this means that their CPK level is elevated because or an injury or stress to the brain, heart or one of the muscle tissues. This is because an injury will cause the CPK to leak into the bloodstream.

Other factors will help determine what may have caused the CPK level to elevate. If a patient complains of chest pain matched with a high number, than a heart attack might be diagnosed. Pericarditis following a heart attack is also a probable cause. Also high CPK levels are early warnings of the muscle diseases dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Any brain injuries or strokes will also elevate levels.
Other Reasons CPK is High

If doctors have ruled out that a patient's CPK levels are not high from an outside substance, heart attack or stroke, then doctors will need to evaluate other causes such as lung tissue disease, electrical shock, hypothermia or post-operation infection.

Finally, any muscular dystrophies will be noticed with the bloodstream test.

Treatments for a high CPK can vary just from waiting for the levels to come down if they were created by a substance, to surgery and prescription of medication. Once high CPK levels are determined, additional tests will be ordered.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fitnessinfo.ro
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the reply. Well i was also done some small search on google about this but i found that for people who workout its normal to go even too high, especially if u do the blood test the next day of a workout etc ,or u are injured. So i thought i m ok , well anyone else knows more about this topic? maybe from personal experience with blood tests?

Of course after my vacations i ll re-check them but hmm if its bad i must workout less ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roxoorz

PostSubject: Re: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Hmm if i were you i would try to relax as much as i can and get more sleep, maybe sleep 1h at middle of day, so body can relax! I hope you get better mate and don't worry too much about it since, it is caused by stress too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 pm

CPK is produced when muscles are damaged in some way shape or form.

Doing lots of exercise, eg bar work, will damage your muscles (this is how you actually build muscle). So it's not that unusual to have a higher level of CPK than a normal person.

If you are seriously working out, remember you no longer fit in the "normal" mold for a lot of things, this includes things like bmi, red cell count, cpk. You can still be perfectly healthy and have abnormal test results... Afterall, you are abnormal.. you are a bar-barian! (in training Wink )

It may well be worth having them checked again. And always talk to your doctor (as these things can sometimes occur from bad things happening, heart attacks for instance with CPK). But if he says you just need to rest, then it's probably you now naturally have a higher CPK count due to the nature of your workout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Thnx for replies again. So i guess i ll just listen to my body as always , so if i feel ok it will be ok to workout , if not i just rest as usual.

I ll re-check in about 2 months maybe a bit less. Thnx again for the replies

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalisthenicsAndy

PostSubject: Re: High CPK in my blood, is it bad?   Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:33 am

im no expert, but even if it may not be a heart attack... heart attack is still in the list, so dont hold back from going..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

High CPK in my blood, is it bad?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1