Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

mental training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
csaba

PostSubject: mental training   Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:41 am

i always wondered if all those dreams of doing dozens of muscle ups would have any effect. i stumbled upon an interesting study where, although not while sleeping, they show that mentally visualizing yourself workout has almost as good an effect as actually doing it.

Quote :

This study tested whether mental training alone can produce a gain in muscular strength. Thirty male university athletes, including football, basketball and rugby players, were randomly assigned to perform mental training of their hip flexor muscles, to use weight machines to physically exercise their hip flexors, or to form a control group which received neither mental nor physical training. The hip strength of each group was measured before and after training. Physical strength was increased by 24% through mental practice (p = .008). Strength was also increased through physical training, by 28%, but did not change significantly in the control condition. The strength gain was greatest among the football players given mental training. Mental and physical training produced similar decreases in heart rate, and both yielded a marginal reduction in systolic blood pressure. The results support the related findings of Ranganathan, Siemionow, Liu, Sahgal, and Yue (2004).

http://westallen.typepad.com/brains_on_purpose/files/mind_over_matter_shackell_07.pdf

anyone know of similar studies to share?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:52 am

i found this nice review:

The uses of mental imagery in athletics: An overview
Quote :

This article surveys the extant literature on mental imagery as used in athletics for performance enhancement, arousal regulation, affective and cognitive modification, and rehabilitation. For each category of use, applications are discussed, an overview of the empirical and case-study research findings is presented, and the research is critiqued. A concluding section recommends directions for future research on uses of mental imagery in athletics.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0962184905800162

Interesting snippets:
Quote :

The efficacy of mental imagery for athletic purposes is
well documented. It has been found to improve athletic performance when used alone (Feltz & Landers, 1983; Straub, 1989) and when used in conjunction with other cog- nitive techniques (Ainscoe & Hardy, 1987). Mental imagery has been found to be effective both as an adjunct to physical practice (Decety & Ingvar, 1990; S. J. Murphy, 1990) and as a replacement for physical practice (Decety & Ingvar, 1990; Tremayne & Barry, 1990). In addition, both coaches (Gould, Hodge, Peterson, & Petlichkoff, 1987) and athletes (Heishman & Bunker, 1989) rate mental imagery as an ef- fective (Fenker & Lambiotte, 1987; Straub, 1989), valuable (Heishman & Bunker, 1989), and enjoyable technique (Straub, 1989) for aiding various aspects of sports perfor- mance.

Mental imagery is undisputedly one of the most widely researched cognitive techniques used in athletics (Silva & Weinberg, 1982). In fact, it has become so well accepted that it is now regarded as one of the basic areas of research in the field of sports psychology (Silva & Weinberg, 1982).

Using a specific focus, imagery has been reported to improve the performance of discrete tasks such as sit-ups (Weinberg et al., 1990)

sounds like something to do on rest days!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:30 am

Great topic csaba, usually when im injured or on rest days i would watch body-weight videos go to sleep and dream of my self doing muscle ups with better form or other exercises and when i go to the bar in real life it seems more clear like i have been here and did this already and i would perform better. I think it is pre - workout mental preparation when you want something so bad real bad and keep visualizing it in repetition it is possible for that to transfer to real life at least for me it does. It happens only when i truly want to get better at a certain exercise or when the dream is so real that i workout and progress mentally through the dream that it would work. I think it would be very hard though for someone who never did a muscle ups to get one after dreaming about it cause in real life the body doesn't understand the mental/physical motion of the exercise but could be possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Although I haven't yet had a chance to read into it yet, there are 2 products that I have heard great things about:

Gold Medal Mental Workout by Stadion Publishing
Psychology from Start to Finish by F Schubert

State of mind when working out or doing anything else in life is a major factor in how well the task gets done. Control your mind and you can achieve great things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:58 pm

this all makes sense..... but then again i train everyday for the FL and i even dream of myself doing it, activating the right muscles..... still no FL. Just a sports hernia...

But i digress. Very interesting indeed man
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Mdrop wrote:
this all makes sense..... but then again i train everyday for the FL and i even dream of myself doing it, activating the right muscles..... still no FL. Just a sports hernia...

But i digress. Very interesting indeed man

Mental training isn't the end-all-be-all though. Hard, smart work is still needed. I would listen to Ido Portal's recommendation on fixing weak links in front lever training:

Quote :
...The main problem with platues in front lever development, (and other upper body strength work) is a weak link in the scapulae retrectors and external rotator muscles. A quick 6-8 weeks of special attention to these areas and your front lever will usualy show considerable improvement. Mean while, I suggest to follow coach Sommer's isometric work for the static position...
Quote :
There is no one single exercise, but here is a favorite superset I like to use for scapulae retractors:
A1 Front lever rows 3-5 reps/31X3
rest 10 sec
A2 Supinated Body Rows (hardest version you can handle) 5 reps / 31X3
rest 10 sec
A3 Heavy Band Pull Apart 8 reps / 31X3 (Dueser band or a heavy iron woody band, not the pilates stuff)

Rest 180 sec and repeat 3-5 total sets

* In the front lever rows I consider it a rep only if you break 90 degrees in the elbow joint and returned to complete lockout.
* In the Body Rows - chest must be held against the bar for the duration specified. There is no 'almost' - you are either pregnant or not.
* Make sure you concetrate in A1 on keeping the scapulaes retracted at all times, at A2 and A3 - take the scapulae first from protracted to retracted and then move into the movement, in each start of a repetition.

Ido.
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3574
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DNL

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:50 am

Since you are telling about dreaming, I am dreaming for already 1 week where I do calisthenics stuff and it feels so easy, since it's like I would weight nothing and do some impossible stuff like OAMU or OAFL Very Happy

Back to the topic. I believe in mental focus and mental preperation before the training and I can tell for myself that it really helps. If you push yourself mentaly before you do anything you will get much more reps or whatever you are doing. I think it has something to do with the ability of activating more muscle fibers when focused then in a normal condition
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: mental training   Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:13 am

raja wrote:

Mental training isn't the end-all-be-all though. Hard, smart work is still needed. I would listen to Ido Portal's recommendation on fixing weak links in front lever training:

Quote :
...The main problem with platues in front lever development, (and other upper body strength work) is a weak link in the scapulae retrectors and external rotator muscles. A quick 6-8 weeks of special attention to these areas and your front lever will usualy show considerable improvement. Mean while, I suggest to follow coach Sommer's isometric work for the static position...
Quote :
There is no one single exercise, but here is a favorite superset I like to use for scapulae retractors:
A1 Front lever rows 3-5 reps/31X3
rest 10 sec
A2 Supinated Body Rows (hardest version you can handle) 5 reps / 31X3
rest 10 sec
A3 Heavy Band Pull Apart 8 reps / 31X3 (Dueser band or a heavy iron woody band, not the pilates stuff)

Rest 180 sec and repeat 3-5 total sets

* In the front lever rows I consider it a rep only if you break 90 degrees in the elbow joint and returned to complete lockout.
* In the Body Rows - chest must be held against the bar for the duration specified. There is no 'almost' - you are either pregnant or not.
* Make sure you concetrate in A1 on keeping the scapulaes retracted at all times, at A2 and A3 - take the scapulae first from protracted to retracted and then move into the movement, in each start of a repetition.

Ido.
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3574

Dam thanks man. Will definitely give this a shot when im better! Good looks brother
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mental training   

Back to top Go down

mental training
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1