Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My beginner workout. Is it good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
holism

PostSubject: My beginner workout. Is it good?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:31 pm

I've been doing calisthenics for the last 3 months. I think my max now are around:

pull ups: 10
push ups: 35
dips: 20

When I do upper body workout I'm mostly doing pullup ladders, dip sets and push up ladders or set.

Today, a normal upper body workout day (I do something like this 3-4 times a week), I did:

warm up
wide pull ups 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1
pull ups 1-2-3-4-3-2-1
chins 1-2-3-4-3-2-1
close grip pulls 1-2-3-2-1

dips 5 X 10

diamond pushups 6-5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5-6
normal pushups 2 X 15

What are your thoughts on this? Any suggestions? I feel like I'm not improving that much but I'm very excited about calisthenics. Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: My beginner workout. Is it good?   Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:04 pm

looks alright, now when you get to the end of the list there, go and repeat it all again Wink

Try throwing in some static holds every few workouts as well, either include them during reps (so say a 3 sec hold at top and bottom position each rep) or as a stand alone, so 3x 30sec (or max time) holds Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jess

PostSubject: Re: My beginner workout. Is it good?   Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:44 am

You might want to add in weighted work. I'm finding that the weighted work really helps you get a big pull out of the bottom when you go back and attempt bodyweight. I know some people want to "keep it pure" with no external resistance, but weighted stuff flat out works. Quite a few people got one arm pullups from just building up weighted chins.

I would start trying progressions for the fun stuff if all these endless reps are getting boring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
holism

PostSubject: Re: My beginner workout. Is it good?   Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks Guys. Tim, I'm going to try those static holds, sounds good. I don't know if I can do it all twice since the workout I posted already takes me about and hour to complete. Maybe I should start reducing rest time.

Jess, will it work if I load a backpack with books and stuff to get some weight and to pullups, and dips with the backpack on? Why do you mean by progressions for the fun stuff?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: My beginner workout. Is it good?   Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 am

Yup, reducing rest time is always a good thing to do Smile

As for the weighted stuff a rucksack filled with books/water works alright. Just don't overload it as you don't want to screw your back (weight vests load both front and back equally so don't put excess force on one side) - This will unlikely be a problem for you at the moment as I doubt you'll be putting massive weights in your bag Wink

Jess' fun stuff... i'm guessing he's talking about planches/front lever/back lever/handstand work...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jess

PostSubject: Re: My beginner workout. Is it good?   Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:52 pm

holism wrote:
Thanks Guys. Tim, I'm going to try those static holds, sounds good. I don't know if I can do it all twice since the workout I posted already takes me about and hour to complete. Maybe I should start reducing rest time.

Jess, will it work if I load a backpack with books and stuff to get some weight and to pullups, and dips with the backpack on? Why do you mean by progressions for the fun stuff?
I never tried a backpack, but it should help. I use plates and a dip belt. I like the feel of it

The fun stuff: Front lever, back lever, planches, handstands and beyond. I wouldn't hold back on moving forward through their progressions. Do whatever it takes to stay motivated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My beginner workout. Is it good?   

Back to top Go down

My beginner workout. Is it good?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1