Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:33 am

I have been taking Jiu Jitsu for a couple of months now and notice that I am always on the bottom, especially when grappling with bigger and/or stronger opponents. My question is: Are there any calisthenic (or weighted) exercises that would give me the strength to overpower my opponent and put him on his back? I'm thinking maybe a massive improvement in terms of hip strength here (quads, hamstrings etc).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:38 am

Actually, getting into mount from the back position almost exclusively involves hip strength. Are there any good exercises that focus entirely on the hips?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:07 am

Well lower body in martial arts are really in need. I think pistol squats will help as will increase ur leg power and balance, also maybe one leg dead lift helps too (remember balance is always helpful , if u got much better balance than ur opponent then maybe u ll throw him down or dont let him throw u down at least), also back bridge help much too. Maybe some weighted squats helps too because i think normal will just increase ur endurance...

Also core and upper body must be strong cause just think that in one mount escape u just pull the opponent near u(i mean from shoulder or whatever), then u push with ur hips to get his center of gravity up and u roll to the side. That needs for sure good core and pulling strength cause he wont let u get him so easy he ll resist but if u got more power then it will be easier.

so workout ur legs good but dont forget core and upper body (i know noone forget upper body here Razz ) everything helps in a way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wizzard366

PostSubject: may be important   Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:22 pm

well, I train Catch Wrestling, my advice to you is that you need to focus more on learning and improving your take downs, that is the first thing you need, to leave your opponent in a position that you can get on top of him more easily, next you need to improve your control positions, and "swips", in conclusion I recommend you that you have to train harder, and combat more..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

i agree with wizzard366 that technique is more important but condition is something worth mentioned too. I guess he was searching a way to help himself expect the courses he do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chevy

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:56 pm

"so workout ur legs good but dont forget core and upper body (i know noone forget upper body here ) everything helps in a way."

lol! or this would happen

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buster

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Chevy wrote:
"so workout ur legs good but dont forget core and upper body (i know noone forget upper body here ) everything helps in a way."

lol! or this would happen

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrishurst

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:34 am

If you are always on the bottom just perfect your guard game and master sweeps. You can be the littlest guy in the gym and with the most technique dominate your training partners. The people who try to use power over technique in Juijitsu are the people who get tired quickly. Start training more, work on timing, and use the vast amount of routines on this forum to get stronger and much more functional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrishurst

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:35 am

That picture is hilarious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:25 am

when grappling, i usually prefer to be on the bottom. gives me more control. never assume, just because you are on the bottom that you are not in control.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrishurst

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 am

I agree with my fellow Texan, I pull guard automatically. I prefer it whether its closed guard, open, butterfly, or my bread and butter the Rubber guard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:35 pm

My problem is that my guard is always being bypassed and that I'm being mounted by my opponent. We all know that mount is one of the most difficult positions to evade, plus it's easy to avoid guard by jamming your elbows into both quadriceps muscles, which hurts like hell.

So I'm thinking that in order to control my opponent, I'm going to have to condition my quads and in order to get him off mount, I'm going to have to work on my bridging. My bridging isn't that good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrishurst

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Yeah, once you've been training longer the wedge won't hurt. You'll be pretty much immune to it. A big thing that helps is as soon as someone goes to wedge you open and puts their knee on your butt shift your hips back to a central position they will lose leverage and it will annoy them and make them lose focus. Like I said earlier, I pull guard immediately because from guard I'm in complete control, it took time to get that way but once you get it you got it. I like to think of myself as a backpack or something similar. Wherever they go, I go. Until I am ready to sweep them or tap them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm starting to think that the only way to get good at Jiu Jitsu is to just do more Jiu Jitsu. There doesn't seem to be any magical exercise, calisthenic or otherwise, that can improve your game. Even watching videos and reading books (such as BJ Penn's book on MMA) can only take you so far. Jiu Jitsu is the ultimate form of calisthenics and in order to get good at it you just have to train for it. It's like you need to install mats to roll on in your basement for those times away from the dojo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chrishurst

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah bro, it is just lots of repetition. The more you roll, the better and more fluid you become. Focus more on transitioning, as apposed to submissions. That way once you get super tight at moving fluidly, pulling a sub will be easy from that point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:43 am

if i get mounted while in guard, i find it relativley easy to control my opponent. or get them off. eh. everyone is different with their training
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu   

Back to top Go down

Always being dominated in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1