Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Complex training for MMA: What do you think?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Complex training for MMA: What do you think?   Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Right now, my aspiration is to become a professional Mixed Martial Artist and I've decided to pursue a rather eclectic routine consisting of a weightlifting and/or calisthenic exercise paired with a similar plyometric exercise (otherwise known as "complex training"). I'm doing this because training for maximal strength is not enough; what I need is explosive strength and power combined with the development of maximal strength in order to be brutally effective as a fighter.

I'm trying to devise a routine, doing upper body one day and lower body the next. I'm focusing on four of the big lifts: deadlift, squat, overhead press, bench and two BW exercises: pull ups and dips and the two Olympic lifts: the press and clean and the power snatch.

For my lower body days: deadlift and/or squat, followed by the press and clean.

For upper body: overhead press, pull ups and dips (and all their variations) and an Oli lift, the snatch in this case.

Now comes matching the weight, BW and Oli exercises with a similar plyometric exercise. And it has to be a plyometric exercise for a single person only (no partners) and it has to be sport-specific (submission grappling, Judo, kickboxing only).

Now, I've matched squats with jump squats, pull ups with med ball slams, and deadlift with box jumps... Can anybody think of a good single person, sport-specific plyometric exercise that goes well with the bench, dips, overhead press, and the Oli lifts? I'm planning on doing this as a lower/upper split routine 5 or 6 days a week. Is this a decent routine? Is it true that complex training is highly effective for combat athletes or is this just hype?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Re: Complex training for MMA: What do you think?   Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Actually, you know what. F*ck the bench. Weighted/incline/med ball push ups paired with plyo push ups makes much better sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Complex training for MMA: What do you think?   Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:22 am

Check out the work of Ross Enamait.

Also, you may want to include straight arm work in your practice. Back Lever, Planche, etc. build connective tissue strength like nothing else, a valuable asset for a fighter. There's a post on the Gymnastic Bodies forum by Dillon Zrike that discusses one of his students. He fights MMA and after working on back lever, he was unable to be forced into submission in a match, due to his level of straight arm conditioning(read: tendon strength). I can't find the link right now, but I'm sure with some searching it could be found. There are many other posts on Martial Arts training on that forum as well. I recommend you read those.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wizzard366

PostSubject: Re: Complex training for MMA: What do you think?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:36 pm

I recommend you that, you buy or download the "Matt Furey Combat Conditioning" book....

that's what I use to train in my home...

pd. I train all my body every day... Hindu squats, Hindu push ups, bridges, closed push ups, wide push ups, a set of different pull ups, and a lot of other things... tell me if you want to know my routine....

the reason why I train in my home is that, I practice MMA for 2 and a half years, but cuz of my University schedule I had to stop training every day... and now I only train the weekends in my gym... the rest of the days I have to train in my home.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Complex training for MMA: What do you think?   

Back to top Go down

Complex training for MMA: What do you think?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1