Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

The Old-time Strongmen: How'd these guys get so freakin' strong?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: The Old-time Strongmen: How'd these guys get so freakin' strong?   Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:00 pm

You look at the strongmen of today and the strongmen of yesterday, especially the ones who lived around the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and there's no comparison. OK, modern strongmen are strong, but their competitions do not feature the same feats of strength practiced by old-time wrestlers and strongmen. In fact, what the old-time strongmen did over a hundred years ago has never been replicated today (although I could be wrong). And the feats they performed were superhuman, such as snatching cannon balls in mid-air, lifting one ton boulders, wrestling 1,500 lb elephants to the ground, supporting platforms with 20 guys on top, pulling locomotives with only the teeth, holding back a pair of speeding automobiles etc.

Now, my question is... how'd these guys get so damn strong? I've read that it was because of all the BW exercises they performed, before the invention of weightlifting machines and other fancy gym equipment. I've also read that life was much harder back then, necessitating greater physical strength. Have you seen the gyms these guys trained in? They looked like gymnasiums complete with Olympic rings, rope and ladders, with kettlebells scattered about everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DNL

PostSubject: Re: The Old-time Strongmen: How'd these guys get so freakin' strong?   Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Yeah, you are right, all those guys trained without a gym, since it wasn't even invented in that times. I know an example of a strongman, who was working 12 hours each day in a steel factory, who could easily bend everything. I think it's just the hard life they had, though that they could become that strong and also the training methods with rings and own bodyweights
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SparticistUprising

PostSubject: Re: The Old-time Strongmen: How'd these guys get so freakin' strong?   Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 am

It just boggles the mind what these guys did with their own bodies and how incredibly strong they got, like this old-time American wrestler "Farmer" Burns. He built a 20'' neck, the most powerful neck on record, using his own bodyweight. Apparently, nobody could get this guy in a chokehold, he was unchokable. They tried hanging this guy over and over again as a stunt and his neck was so powerful, it wouldn't break. He wouldn't even gag either. He'd laugh and smile at the end of the rope. Just to develop the strength these guys had using whatever exercises they used would be priceless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: The Old-time Strongmen: How'd these guys get so freakin' strong?   Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 am

the old time strong men, truly understood their bodies, and how to train for ultimate strength. they lifted weights, and did calisthenics, as well as isometrics, and plenty of grip training, and muscle control. if you do enough searching online, you will find a few sites dedicatred to them, such as the Golden Age of Stringmen, and many others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Old-time Strongmen: How'd these guys get so freakin' strong?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1