Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClemenJ

PostSubject: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 am

I'm a 29 yr old male looking to improve my physique just using bodyweight exercises. Up until last year i was a regular gym user who loved lifting weights. I went three times a week and a did a total body workout each time. However a disc problem put me out of action and by the time my back recovered I'd lost my motivation and had my income reduced significantly. So now i want to get back into the muscle building game but to do it without
forking out money on gym membership. What i want to know then is it possible to build mass with just bodyweight. there seem to be so many conflicting voices and I'm just looking for a straight answer and a routine that i can start on.

To let you know i was never massive when i was weight lifting - as I'm a slim build, but i did get up to 12stone which on my frame looked pretty good. I'm now down to just a few pounds over 11 because of the lack of weight training. This needs to change and i need all the help i can get
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:42 am

Hey, Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can put on mass just from body weight exercises. Have a look at the pictures thread in the general discussion for anything from LittleBeastM. He's only done body weight exercises (though sometimes he adds weight(vest/belt/extra person or two...))

Have a wonder over to the training log section, there's plenty of routines in there that can get you started Smile

Best of luck Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClemenJ

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:53 am

Hi Tim thanks for the reply.

I've looked at the pics and your right there are some impressive physiques. Infact I've just messaged the guy you've mentioned because thats good going if it was all from bodyweight.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bcnarian

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

of course u can, and be sure that this muscle will be also pure strenght, look at the forums for diferent training methods like supersets,pyramids..
and remember that the most important thing to get mass is eating a lot!!

PD: I gained 5 kg since i started calisthenics 2 moths ago
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eca

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:51 am

Yes, just as well as with weight training. The important thing however, if gaining muscle mass is your goal, is to keep the rep count low (by constantly decreasing the leverage and progressing towards harder moves). If you do this, you'll be fine. Your muscles don't know the difference between forces.

Just look at the physique of gymnasts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:42 pm

eca wrote:
Yes, just as well as with weight training.

To a point. However, I don't know why anyone would want to build muscle mass past that point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eca

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:59 pm

mgraham404 wrote:
eca wrote:
Yes, just as well as with weight training.

To a point. However, I don't know why anyone would want to build muscle mass past that point.
Yes, and I might add that it can be difficult to gain muscle mass on the lower body even before that point if only using bodyweight. A weight vest or holding a plate while performing for example one legged squats will help with this problem. In general though I think explosive work for the lower body is the right way to go in this case if muscle mass is the goal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
grishenko45

PostSubject: Re: Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?   Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:49 pm

this question come up a LOT! like someone else said - look at the pic topic, lots of muscle there. form and repetition and not numbers to get yourself started, work off a solid foundation pullups, pushups and dips, then you can start to get creative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Can significant muscle mass be built using bodyweight?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1