Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How does this beginner routine look?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Warriors

PostSubject: How does this beginner routine look?   Fri May 20, 2011 1:08 am

Going to start BW on Monday and this is what I can do now:

7 pullups
15 dips
30 pushups

So what do you guys think this routine I'm gonna start on Monday? Thanks! Basically Armstrong pullup program with added exercises..

Mon

Pushups 3 x failure
Pull ups 5 x failure

Tues

Pushups 3 x failure
Pull up pyramid to failure (1 rest, 2 rest, etc)

Weds

Pushups 3 x failure
Wide grip pulls 3 x 2
Close grip chins 3 x 2
Reg pull ups 3 x 2
Dips 3 x 8

Thurs

Pushups 3 x failure
Pull ups 10 sets of 2

Fri

Pushups 3 x failure
Repeat day I found hardest (for pulls)
Handstand pushups (on wall) 3 x failure

and 3-5times a week core work consisting of:

Planks 3 x 1 min superset with side planks 3 x 30 seconds each side
Hanging knee raises 3 x failure
Static lying leg raise hold 6-10 inches off ground 3 x 45 seconds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: How does this beginner routine look?   Fri May 20, 2011 1:19 am

You've forgotten about the entire lower body. Maybe add some tricep extensions, handstand work, different push-up variations, dynamic oblique work, lower back work (bridging and the like), etc. You should definitely add some form of cardiovascular exercise as well. It doesn't have to be traditional walking/jogging cardio, but something to get your heart rate up with a lot of muscles being used, and this level of activity being sustained for at least 30 minutes (before anyone mentions the tabata protocol or HIIT, you have to remember this is for a beginner and those are very taxing).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warriors

PostSubject: Re: How does this beginner routine look?   Fri May 20, 2011 2:34 am

mgraham404 wrote:
You've forgotten about the entire lower body. Maybe add some tricep extensions, handstand work, different push-up variations, dynamic oblique work, lower back work (bridging and the like), etc. You should definitely add some form of cardiovascular exercise as well. It doesn't have to be traditional walking/jogging cardio, but something to get your heart rate up with a lot of muscles being used, and this level of activity being sustained for at least 30 minutes (before anyone mentions the tabata protocol or HIIT, you have to remember this is for a beginner and those are very taxing).

haha forgot to mention I bike a lot so I didn't really want to do leg work. but I'll throw in some pistol squats and calf raises. and ya I'll change up the pushups and add bridges, thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: How does this beginner routine look?   Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 am

Well man because u are a beginner in case u feel to tired etc maybe take a rest day or two.

Also warm up well (maybe there u do some leg workout to warm up ur whole body) after some dynamic stretches and after workout cool down with some stretches etc.

Eat well after the workout.

Also on pull ups and push ups too done do the same every time or everyday. For example one day do pull ups other chin ups or on push ups one day normal other diamond other wide etc.

Hope it helps and yeah some handstand will help and maybe add l-sit too if u can do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: How does this beginner routine look?   Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 am

Warriors wrote:

haha forgot to mention I bike a lot so I didn't really want to do leg work. but I'll throw in some pistol squats and calf raises. and ya I'll change up the pushups and add bridges, thanks!

Yeah, you should still add those pistol squats and calf raises. Maybe even some glute ham raises (or negatives even) if you can. The reason I'd suggest to do that is while biking can definitely increase strength and muscle in legs, it's not going to do as much as strength building exercises. I would also throw in plyometric squats, box jumps, and plyometric pistols every now and then especially if you bike competitively. It'll help you in the sprints for the finish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does this beginner routine look?   

Back to top Go down

How does this beginner routine look?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1