Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Over-training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackhills27

PostSubject: Over-training   Wed May 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Recently I have been having trouble nailing down a routine in order to keep steady progress going. Ill have days where I feel 100% and am able to do more than usual, but then when I come back even after a day of rest I still feel not quite 100%. So How do you guys structure your rest days on a long term basis, for example do you work in a rest week were you don't do anything at all? or do most of you stick with the one day on one day off routine? In addition to this I base a lot of my workout around pull-ups, so would doing pushups on my off days hinder the recovery of the muscles used in pull-ups?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 pm

day off? what's that Wink

It's very rare that i do absolutely zero exercise in a day, however i certainly do have off days where I don't do a 'routine'. Quite often i do a bit of work on statics for those days - levers/handstands etc.

I got abit out of it in the last couple of months, but i'm aiming to get back to what I was doing a while ago which was training everyday - minimum of BBR(minus M-ups) Only rest days I had from that was when I wasn't near a bar between when I woke up and went to sleep Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grishenko45

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Thu May 12, 2011 7:14 am

Hi,

I've experimented with loads of different combinations of training days to rest days over the last year. I've done 2 days on 2 days off, 1 day on 1 day off etc.....
After having gone through so many different patterns I can safely say that the best one for me, is not to stick to a training pattern of rest/workout days - cozs you don't know how you're gonna feel in advance!

I pretty just train when i feel i'm on a 'roll'! Some weeks i can go 6 days in a row and feel amazing, full of energy, pumped and really motivated to train each day. Then some weeks i'll feel i need the extra sleep/rest so i'll workout accordingly to how i feel.

Everyone gets their bad sessions (i think i've a topic on here about that) I do, when you feel up for training and full of energy, then when you're ready to workout you feel lathargic or tired.....it's a real put down.

If you're struggling to train for an hour due to lack of energy or tiredness then most likely you need the rest.

Diet plays a major part too, the right foods at the right time really helps to give you all that energy you need to train and recover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trace

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Thu May 12, 2011 7:19 am

I'll rest when my body tells me to do so. You'll learn to feel when you need to take a day off or when you can just go straight through, without taking a rest day.

Most important thing is to take enough rest when you start working out - I've seen people trying to go from 0 to 100 (no sport -> sports/workout everyday), and mostly they just hurt themselves because they don't give their bodies the time they need to rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jess

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Thu May 12, 2011 1:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about making progress from session to session, but if you aren't a relative beginner, and aren't making progress at least every two weeks, you probably aren't doing enough. You can undertrain and feel like crap too. There are also days where you will feel like junk and break PR's, as well. My advice would be to start doing more volume. If you do 4 sets to failure on something you are getting nowhere with, start doing 5-6 sets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
'Brix

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 am

Tim wrote:
day off? what's that Wink

My man Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackhills27

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Thu May 19, 2011 6:35 pm

I guess what I am asking is, is it weird that one day I can do 26 pull-ups then comeback after a day of rest and only be able to do 20? I am 17 years old so shouldn't my recovery rate be just as good as anyone elses?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Thu May 19, 2011 8:05 pm

blackhills27 wrote:
I am 17 years old so shouldn't my recovery rate be just as good as anyone elses?

Nope, depending on how you have been training it will be different, there are people on here that train hard every day and have a much faster recovery than others that don't train every day.

You may have just gotten to a point of general fatigue where you need to take a day (or several) off Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackhills27

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Thu May 19, 2011 10:58 pm

Do some of you guys do something like a "rest week" every few months where you don't do anything for about a week to let your body fully recover, then jump right back into things?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Fri May 20, 2011 4:01 am

blackhills27 wrote:
Do some of you guys do something like a "rest week" every few months where you don't do anything for about a week to let your body fully recover, then jump right back into things?

Yup, though more like 2-3 days Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 am

yes most people do something like this. Maybe go light for example one week ever month so u ll body rest.

Well 1 day isnt actual enough for ur body to recover completely.
Even 2-3 wont be enough if u are much fatigued from many weeks of workout so thats why going light or resting a bit more once in a while is good for injury prevention etc.

Hope it make sense Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marcusuni

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Fri May 20, 2011 8:27 am

'There's no such thing as over-training just undereating and undersleeping' ha great quote.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bodyweightconvict.blogspot.com/
'Brix

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Wed May 25, 2011 4:54 am

Marcusuni wrote:
'There's no such thing as over-training just undereating and undersleeping' ha great quote.

I think that may have been me...haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gapo1994

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   Sat May 28, 2011 5:06 am

[quote="Tim"]day off? what's that Wink

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Over-training   

Back to top Go down