Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Two solid routines that work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Strive92 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, gonna start this GVT workout next week.
Just did the second workout that you described, i can do 14 pullups with good form, but after i maxed out the wide grip pull ups, i could only manage a pathetic 4 normal grip pull, 2 normal grip chin and 2 narrow grip chin. And the second set got even worse, i could only do 2 wide grip pullup and i was spent. Such a huge drop in reps, Is this normal when first starting this workout?

That is a pretty big drop off. Yes the drop off after the First set of wide grip pull-ups is usually pretty big, but then it sort of has a constant small fall off from there. It sounds like you have a strong back, but weaker arms. It could also be because your CNS has not adapted to the routine yet, which in that case is good, because you will get some pretty good increases if you repeat the exercise 1-2 times a week.

Also, you may be very low on glycogen. Try to increase your glycogen stores with Creatine and and eat more fruits. Especially immediately after training. You need to get more energy in the muscles so that they can keep up with heavy work.

Your 3rd set will likely look like 3-4 reps wide, 2 reps for both normal grip, and 1-2 reps close chins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattseefood

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 am

have to try this type of workout next week after easter! Anyway, I think I'll get tired after the first 2 max sets. But still gotta try them!

Thanks a lot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strive92

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:47 pm

ChimarraoMate wrote:
Strive92 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, gonna start this GVT workout next week.
Just did the second workout that you described, i can do 14 pullups with good form, but after i maxed out the wide grip pull ups, i could only manage a pathetic 4 normal grip pull, 2 normal grip chin and 2 narrow grip chin. And the second set got even worse, i could only do 2 wide grip pullup and i was spent. Such a huge drop in reps, Is this normal when first starting this workout?

That is a pretty big drop off. Yes the drop off after the First set of wide grip pull-ups is usually pretty big, but then it sort of has a constant small fall off from there. It sounds like you have a strong back, but weaker arms. It could also be because your CNS has not adapted to the routine yet, which in that case is good, because you will get some pretty good increases if you repeat the exercise 1-2 times a week.

Also, you may be very low on glycogen. Try to increase your glycogen stores with Creatine and and eat more fruits. Especially immediately after training. You need to get more energy in the muscles so that they can keep up with heavy work.

Your 3rd set will likely look like 3-4 reps wide, 2 reps for both normal grip, and 1-2 reps close chins.

Yeah i think you're right, most probably i have weaker arms. Still searching for a good routine to hit them hard. Gonna include more fruits into my diet too. Have you tried to integrate this back workout into your GVT-based workout before?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:55 am

i gave GVT a try yesterday. with 5x10sets, 5kilos backpack and doing it L-seated.

woke up with a sore back. this is definitely good stuff. Wink

we need more smart workouts like this. keep it coming chim mate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:26 pm

Strive92 wrote:
[Yeah i think you're right, most probably i have weaker arms. Still searching for a good routine to hit them hard. Gonna include more fruits into my diet too. Have you tried to integrate this back workout into your GVT-based workout before?

Not sure what you mean by "this back workout". Mixed grip will not work for GVT. You have to stick with a single grip and range of motion for 10 sets. If the question is--have I used body weight training for GVT?--then yes. I'll usually superset a wider or normal grip weighted pull-up or chin-ups with GVT on chest/back day. For chest I'll do some kind of press exercise that hits the chest. Sometimes a wide grip leaning forward dip with my chin tucked and touching my collar bone.

For arm day, I like to do tricep narrow grip dips superset with narrow grip chin-ups.

You should try GVT if you need pure mass and strength gains. There is no other workout that works as well as GVT does for that. With the 90 seconds rest and alternating exercise you'll have little to no drop off until the 5th or 6th superset and then it should only be 2-3 reps that will drop off.

One more note, once you have chosen a grip (and added weight if needed) for a particular exercise, then stick with that exercise for 6 weeks (or 6 cycles if you are running 5 day cycles). You will want to be able to measure the improvement in that exercise over a 6 cycle run of GVT. And again, do not run GVT for more than the 6 weeks, take a 3 week break from GVT and do something else to allow full recoverery. You will notice a lot of growth durring the recovery phases.

Last note: Eat to recover when you are on GVT. Your body cannot grow rapidly if you are not eating to support the growth. The only exception is if you have plenty of built in energy from "fat", then run a high protein and moderate fat diet, but remove the carbs except for immediately after your workouts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lloyd

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 am

Hi man, today i will try this routine, it sounds intense Smile
But i have a question, does this routine works for mass too?
Cause i need to put on a lot of mass...and im searchin a routine 2 follow for get it...Can u help me?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strive92

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:58 am

ChimarraoMate wrote:
Strive92 wrote:
[Yeah i think you're right, most probably i have weaker arms. Still searching for a good routine to hit them hard. Gonna include more fruits into my diet too. Have you tried to integrate this back workout into your GVT-based workout before?

Not sure what you mean by "this back workout". Mixed grip will not work for GVT. You have to stick with a single grip and range of motion for 10 sets. If the question is--have I used body weight training for GVT?--then yes. I'll usually superset a wider or normal grip weighted pull-up or chin-ups with GVT on chest/back day. For chest I'll do some kind of press exercise that hits the chest. Sometimes a wide grip leaning forward dip with my chin tucked and touching my collar bone.

For arm day, I like to do tricep narrow grip dips superset with narrow grip chin-ups.

You should try GVT if you need pure mass and strength gains. There is no other workout that works as well as GVT does for that. With the 90 seconds rest and alternating exercise you'll have little to no drop off until the 5th or 6th superset and then it should only be 2-3 reps that will drop off.

One more note, once you have chosen a grip (and added weight if needed) for a particular exercise, then stick with that exercise for 6 weeks (or 6 cycles if you are running 5 day cycles). You will want to be able to measure the improvement in that exercise over a 6 cycle run of GVT. And again, do not run GVT for more than the 6 weeks, take a 3 week break from GVT and do something else to allow full recoverery. You will notice a lot of growth durring the recovery phases.

Last note: Eat to recover when you are on GVT. Your body cannot grow rapidly if you are not eating to support the growth. The only exception is if you have plenty of built in energy from "fat", then run a high protein and moderate fat diet, but remove the carbs except for immediately after your workouts.

My park doesnt have mutiple grips parallel bars so i cant choose to do close grip or wide grip dips, plus i cant really do straight bar dips too(i tried) cos im not that strong yet. As im quite new to calisthenics, i dont really know any exercises suitable for the chest isolations on day 1 and the triceps compound exercise on Day 4.
Im thinking about doing wide pushups for chest isolations and diamond pushups for triceps compound, but im afraid that because they're kind of easy to me, it will affect the effectiveness of this GVT workout in building mass. Do you have any good chest iso exercises, and triceps compound exercises for this GVT other than the wide & close grip dips?
I sent you a pm but didnt know if you saw it or not!
Thanks alot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   

Back to top Go down

Two solid routines that work.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2