Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Two solid routines that work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:09 pm

So, one of my favorite strength training coaches is Charles Poliquin. He has trained a number of professional athletes and olympic gold medalists. I have used these two routines he has written with great success. I highly recommend them:

1 ********************************************

If you can do at least 6 strict form pull-ups then this one is for you:

One effective system I use to improve pull-up performance in more advanced individuals is to do 10 sets of the exercise. If you can do six pull-ups by yourself, divide that by two, so that’s three pull-ups. Do 10 sets of 3 reps. In the next workout you try to increase the total number of reps until you can do 10 sets of 6. The day you can do 10 sets of 6 you’ll be able to do 12 by yourself. I’ve seen trainees accomplish that in as little as three weeks.

I did this when I was at 6 pull-ups and I got to the 12 in a exactly three weeks performing it ones every 5 days. Now, what it does not tell you is where it got it's roots from. This is a classic GVT (German Volume Training) routine. I superset this with weighted dips. As a result both of them went through the roof. Keep the motion as slow as is realistic. I used 1-2 seconds on the pull and 4-5 seconds on the release. Make sure chin is above the bar at the top and arms are fully extended at the bottom. You will not use momentum with this routine or you will just be cheating yourself. By itself you can do 60-90 seconds rest between sets. If you superset it with dips then use 90 seconds rest between all exercises. You will likely find yourself failing in the 5th or 6th set. That is normal. Continue to do all 10 sets allowing yourself to hit failure in each set. Just do not add reps. Also you may find that on the 8th or 9th set you will pull one more rep than the 7th set. When you can do all 10 sets of each exercise (so 10 sets of pull-ups superset with 10 sets of dips), without missing any of your target reps, then you will be ready to add a rep. I would not take this above 10 reps per set. If you are looking to add mass then go to 10 reps per set and start adding weight instead of reps. If you are looking for strength gains as a priority then start adding weight after you can do 10 sets of 6 reps. I also would not do this routine for more than 6 weeks or 4 weeks if you are running 5 day cycles of GVT (this will give you 6 of these workouts in that time). Instead do some other routine for 3 weeks and then you can return to this program. You can research GVT on the internet for incorporating a complete GVT routine in your weekly strength training.

Also, research the advance GVT workouts. There is a good prescription in getting over plateaus for the advance athlete using a 10 set method that pyramids weight and reps across many weeks.

2 ********************************************

If you can perform 12 Strict form chins then this one is for you:

The Gymnast's Extended Set Back Routine

This routine is for the advanced trainee only, it is inspired by the routines that Olympic gymnasts do to condition their enormous backs. You must be able to do 12 strict form shoulder width supinated chins, to do this routine.

1. Wide grip Pull-ups , as many reps as possible
2. 10 seconds rest pause
3. Medium grip Pull-ups , as many reps as possible
4. 10 seconds rest pause
5. Medium grip Chin-ups , as many reps as possible
6. 10 seconds rest pause
7. Narrow grip Chin-ups
8. Rest 3 minutes
Repeat steps 1 to 8 twice, cry and curse me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Poliquin has some great training info. Definitely don't underestimate his knowledge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:36 pm

raja wrote:
Poliquin has some great training info. Definitely don't underestimate his knowledge.

Absolutely, and if you go to his website and look at the articles titled "Very Dumb Training Recommendations: Part 2". There is a section in there which calls out some big workout failures when doing pull-ups. I have seen a lot of similar ones in these forums. Not pointing any fingers of course. But honestly, if something looks like "WAY TO MUCH" then it probably is. Some times people like to do things because they can, and not because it is wise. I am a believer in proving the impossible is possible, just not a believer in telling someone to do something that will help them, when in reality it will hurt them. If you can do it, then great, you should show it off, that doesn't mean you recommend others to do the same as part of a destructive training routine. Here is a link to that article:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/308/Very_Dumb_Training_Recommendations_Part_2.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Nice routines , well i guess it will be ok if i do it about 2-3 times per week for both pushing and pulling movements? I m thinking to do something like that but changing grip like more wide more narrow , chin up , pull up , neutral between each set so i ll do 10 sets of general pulling movements, how it sounds?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:09 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
Nice routines , well i guess it will be ok if i do it about 2-3 times per week for both pushing and pulling movements? I m thinking to do something like that but changing grip like more wide more narrow , chin up , pull up , neutral between each set so i ll do 10 sets of general pulling movements, how it sounds?

Your suggestion is a common mistake made even by the experts. Although that will stimulate a lot of muscle fibers, that does not work with this 10 sets of 10 or GVT. Charles Poliquin actually discusses this on his site under a new article about GVT. The idea is to work a specific range of motion at a predetermined tempo and rest periods for a full 10 sets. This will cause your body to hypertrophy all muscle fiber types in the range of motion (i.e. Fast Twitch A & B, and Slow Twitch Fibers) and train the CNS for that movement. Keep in mind that with half the reps of your failure set, the first three sets are going to be pretty easy. You will work for the 4th and 5th set. By the 6th through 10th set you will be cursing me. If you switch grips then you will be hitting different muscle fibers and you would have been better off using more reps or weight for each grip with less sets.

Slow tempo Volume training leaves you very sore, so most guys need 5 days minimum to recover. It is a lot of time under tention in a fairly short amount of time.

Save the mixed grip work for other routines. Like the second one I recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buster

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:11 pm

ChimarraoMate wrote:

This routine is for the advanced trainee only, it is inspired by the routines that Olympic gymnasts do to condition their enormous backs. You must be able to do 12 strict form shoulder width supinated chins, to do this routine.

2. 10 seconds rest pause
4. 10 seconds rest pause
6. 10 seconds rest pause
7. Narrow grip Chin-ups
8. Rest 3 minutes

I do this workout at least once a week and it KILLS me. I usually do steps 1-8 at least 4 times. It REALLY works out your endurance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Interesting Post.

I've just started looking into his work.

I'm a Gray Cook and Mike Boyle trained guy.

Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:02 am

Italian Stallion wrote:
ChimarraoMate wrote:

2. 10 seconds rest pause
4. 10 seconds rest pause
6. 10 seconds rest pause
7. Narrow grip Chin-ups
8. Rest 3 minutes

I do this workout at least once a week and it KILLS me. I usually do steps 1-8 at least 4 times. It REALLY works out your endurance.

Yes, it will get your heart rate going, but it actually is an excellent strength builder and not for endurance. Don't let the 10 second rest fool you. There are a lot of muscles at play here (just the back has 77 muscles), and the change in grip and order suggested here involves enough different muscle fibers, that the cross over is minimal. This will allow you to work each set to it's maximum. Then the 3 minutes rest should allow you to get glycogen and ATP back into the muscles before you start again for max effort. Using supersets let you get a lot of work done in a very small amount of time. Knowing your anatomy and how different range of motions impact them is key to creating good supersets and maximizing work. Remember, your best gains will come from the work you do in the first hour of training. Make every second count.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 am

hmmm best gains come from the 1st hour? i workout about 3 hours (including warm up and calm down) so it means that only the 1st hour is so worthy? I do about 3h because i do full body so it means if i workout upper 1st legs doesnt improve that much?

Anyway i ll try maybe today ur 2 repeating 2-4 times and maybe do something like that with straight bar dips-a bit wide push ups-parallel dips- diamond push ups
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grims

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:18 am

ChimarraoMate, hey there.
I have a couple of questions about the 1st method. So if my max is much more than 6 ,then can i still use this routine simply by deviding the max reps by half. And the second question is: can i use this routine more than 1 time a week, or is it worthless then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:11 pm

I tried the 2nd today , well on wide i was ok done max after in normal as i was w8ing i done much less than my real max but the truth is that i was able to do in every exercise about 1 rep more than if i was doing all time normal with 10 secs so yeah it looks like it works and its an easy and fast way to have a workout i guess Smile i done the same with Dips, wide push ups , diamons and normal push ups.

Thnx for the routines maybe one day i ll try ur 1st one too Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buster

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:48 pm

ChimarraoMate wrote:
Italian Stallion wrote:
ChimarraoMate wrote:

2. 10 seconds rest pause
4. 10 seconds rest pause
6. 10 seconds rest pause
7. Narrow grip Chin-ups
8. Rest 3 minutes

Yes, it will get your heart rate going, but it actually is an excellent strength builder and not for endurance. Don't let the 10 second rest fool you. There are a lot of muscles at play here (just the back has 77 muscles), and the change in grip and order suggested here involves enough different muscle fibers, that the cross over is minimal. This will allow you to work each set to it's maximum. Then the 3 minutes rest should allow you to get glycogen and ATP back into the muscles before you start again for max effort. Using supersets let you get a lot of work done in a very small amount of time. Knowing your anatomy and how different range of motions impact them is key to creating good supersets and maximizing work. Remember, your best gains will come from the work you do in the first hour of training. Make every second count.

Yeah, it definintely works the strength as well. The only modification I do is my first set is wide grip, followed by "regular grip", then very close grip pull ups not chin ups, then regular chin ups.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uselis

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:29 am

Nice material Smile

Have couple questions about it:

1.When it says every 5 day it means that Saturday and Sunday is rest days and from Monday routine starts again?
2.Lets say I am able to do 10 strict form pull ups.So I should work with 5x10 until I can reach level where i can complete 10x10?And if its true it should give me 20 repetitions after that in one single set?
3.As you said you mixed with with dips.Could this GVT method be using with 3 exercises in same day like pull ups-dips-push ups but not in one super time but as different work outs or it will lead to overtrain and method will fail?

Thanks for helping
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am

aight so i tried the max pullup one today, and dam did i get a pump. Instantly. It was pretty awesome but i only got out 2 medium grip chins and 4 narrow chins, i was so dead from the first two max-outs. I made sure to use no kip BTW. I like testing out basically all of the workouts i read on the forum out and this one is def going in my arsenal. Thanks ChimarraoMate!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
hmmm best gains come from the 1st hour? i workout about 3 hours (including warm up and calm down) so it means that only the 1st hour is so worthy? I do about 3h because i do full body so it means if i workout upper 1st legs doesnt improve that much?

Anyway i ll try maybe today ur 2 repeating 2-4 times and maybe do something like that with straight bar dips-a bit wide push ups-parallel dips- diamond push ups

Warmup and Cool Down do not count. Just make sure to get a recovery shake or sports drink in after the workout before the cool down. This will help your body start to recover and protect itself.

The first hour rule has been discovered in many trials. The average person can work this long before the benefit may not outweigh the disadvantages. Again it is an average, so some guys may be able to go three hours, but others only 30 minutes. It also depends on the level of effort you are putting into you workout.

After an hour the body starts to produce a large amount of muscle eating growth inhibiting cortisol. Cortisol production is a natural response to the stress your body is under. It will make you feel better. So you may feel great, and actually be doing more damage than good. The cortisol and low ph (acid) in your blood will stay with you for a long time after your workout. Too much of it over time will eat lean fibers like muscle and bone. This can and will lead to injuries which will take you out for long periods of time; or just as bad keep you from training to your maximum potential. You have to train at max to have any real growth. And you may feel like you are at max when you are not because you are preventing yourself from ever recovering enough to hit it.

Last edited by ChimarraoMate on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:44 pm

grims wrote:
ChimarraoMate, hey there.
I have a couple of questions about the 1st method. So if my max is much more than 6 ,then can i still use this routine simply by deviding the max reps by half. And the second question is: can i use this routine more than 1 time a week, or is it worthless then?

Exactly. If your max is 19, then I would do anywhere from 9-10 reps per set. You should choose a rep range in the 50%-60% range. If you fail durring for 4 sets, then you chose too high. If you don't fail in the 5th or 6th set, then you chose too low.

Read my next response to answer your second question.

Last edited by ChimarraoMate on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Uselis wrote:
Nice material Smile

1.When it says every 5 day it means that Saturday and Sunday is rest days and from Monday routine starts again?
2.Lets say I am able to do 10 strict form pull ups.So I should work with 5x10 until I can reach level where i can complete 10x10?And if its true it should give me 20 repetitions after that in one single set?
3.As you said you mixed with with dips.Could this GVT method be using with 3 exercises in same day like pull ups-dips-push ups but not in one super time but as different work outs or it will lead to overtrain and method will fail?

Thanks for helping

1. No, it means as frequently as every 5 days. So if you do it on Mon, you can work those muscles again on/after Saturday. Most people will do it once a week, but if you are looking to maximize gains, then do a 5 day cycle. Here is what I do:
Day 1: Chest and Back (Wide grip work)
Day 2: Legs and Core
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders (Normal to Narrow Grip Work) You could do as many as 3-4 exercise superset. Just make sure you do 10 sets of each grip to ensure you hit the range of motion 10 times. 2 exercises are plenty though. Something like narrow grip dips facing upright (triceps) superset with close grip chin-ups would be a great choice. Then maybe 2-4 isolation exercises to hit other parts with only 3 sets each.
Day 5: Rest

There will be some overlap on Day 1 and 4, but that is ok, the overlap should happen in a way where you are switching primary muscles for secondary on those days. That type of overlap is good.

2. Yes

3.Do them as supersets with 90 seconds rest between sets. I would not do the pushups as GVT unless you are talking about planche. You may be better off doing regular pushups in the morning when you get out of bed as a recovery routine to get the blood flowing to the muscles.

Last edited by ChimarraoMate on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

1stratos1 wrote:
I tried the 2nd today , well on wide i was ok done max after in normal as i was w8ing i done much less than my real max but the truth is that i was able to do in every exercise about 1 rep more than if i was doing all time normal with 10 secs so yeah it looks like it works and its an easy and fast way to have a workout i guess Smile i done the same with Dips, wide push ups , diamons and normal push ups.

Thnx for the routines maybe one day i ll try ur 1st one too Smile

Right on BRO!!! I am doing the same thing today to mix things up. Good minds must think alike Wink. I run the 5 day GVT cycle, but I put in 2 extra days (i.e. a 7 day cycle so that I can do a complete body focus day with what ever routine I want, then a day of rest and then back to GVT for 5 days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Mdrop wrote:
aight so i tried the max pullup one today, and dam did i get a pump. Instantly. It was pretty awesome but i only got out 2 medium grip chins and 4 narrow chins, i was so dead from the first two max-outs. I made sure to use no kip BTW. I like testing out basically all of the workouts i read on the forum out and this one is def going in my arsenal. Thanks ChimarraoMate!

I am glad you liked it. If you think this one gave you a pump, try the 10 set routine. That one will give you a crazy pump. Recovery will take a bit longer though. You'll be sore an extra day or two.

Last edited by ChimarraoMate on Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:21 pm

If you have not read about GVT, I recommend you do. A workout will usually look like this:

2 LARGE Compounds exercises superset for 10 sets that are chosen to maximize the number of muscles hit.

Followed by 2-3 isolation Exercises for 3 sets each. This is used to focus on muscles you may not have gotten to with your compound but are still part of the muscles you are focusing on for the workout.

Isolations Work may look like this:
On ARM/Shoulder day, I like to do extra shoulder and rotator cuff work. And on Chest/Back day I like to do some middle back and deep chest (stretching) isolation work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strive92

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:53 pm

ChimarraoMate wrote:
Uselis wrote:
Nice material Smile

Thanks for helping

1. No, it means as frequently as every 5 days. So if you do it on Mon, you can work those muscles again on/after Saturday. Most people will do it once a week, but if you are looking to maximize gains, then do a 5 day cycle. Here is what I do:
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders (Normal to Narrow Grip Work) You could do as many as 3-4 exercise superset. Just make sure you do 10 sets of each grip to ensure you hit the range of motion 10 times. 2 is plenty though. Something like narrow grip dips facing upright (triceps) superset with close grip chin-ups would be a great choice. Then maybe 2-4 isolation exercises to hit other parts with only 3 sets each.

There will be some overlap on Day 1 and 4, but that is ok, the overlap should happen in a way where you are switching primary muscles for secondary on those days. That type of overlap is good.

2. Yes

3.Do them as supersets with 90 seconds rest between sets. I would not do the pushups as GVT unless you are talking about planche. You may be better off doing regular pushups in the morning when you get out of bed as a recovery routine to get the blood flowing to the muscles.

Quick question! On Day 1 you would do wide grip pullups superset with dips, which is 1 superset. Then on Day 4 where you have your arms and shoulder days, you would do superset with 3-4 exercises, so essentially, its 2 supersets for the arms and shoulder days? (cos 2 exercises form a superset)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fkncody

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:20 pm

ChimarraoMate wrote:

Most people will do it once a week, but if you are looking to maximize gains, then do a 5 day cycle. Here is what I do:
Day 4: Arms and Shoulders (Normal to Narrow Grip Work) You could do as many as 3-4 exercise superset. Just make sure you do 10 sets of each grip to ensure you hit the range of motion 10 times. 2 is plenty though. Something like narrow grip dips facing upright (triceps) superset with close grip chin-ups would be a great choice. Then maybe 2-4 isolation exercises to hit other parts with only 3 sets each.

In general, when you're not doing GVT, do you also follow this split when doing bodyweight only workouts (Specific muscle groups on a given day, once a week, and then proper rest days in between, sort of bodybuilding style but replaced with calisthenic movements)? If you do, how have your gains been with strength and size?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:43 pm

fkncody wrote:
ChimarraoMate wrote:

Most people will do it once a week, but if you are looking to maximize gains, then do a 5 day cycle. Here is what I do:

In general, when you're not doing GVT, do you also follow this split when doing bodyweight only workouts (Specific muscle groups on a given day, once a week, and then proper rest days in between, sort of bodybuilding style but replaced with calisthenic movements)? If you do, how have your gains been with strength and size?

Not always. Sometimes I change the splits, sometimes I just do upper body one day and lower body another day. I rarely do full body, but have done that too. If I am not doing GVT then I recover faster because I will only do 2-4 sets of an exercise.

I like how you say Bodyweight only... I weigh between 196-205 with my cloths on, and depending on my eating. With a lot of moves, that is plenty heavy. I get my best gains from bodyweight training. That is because when you do compounds that your body was meant to do, it always grows better. I also have a 35lb daughter and a 90lb son who love to hang on my back while I do pull-ups and dips. If you really want a challenge use dumbbells, weight vests, backpacks with water jugs, or a belt with a chain to hold plates.

Today I was doing Dips with my son on my back, so that was about 290 lbs. And 48 inch wide grip pull-ups with my daughter, putting me at 235 lbs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:10 pm

Strive92 wrote:

Quick question! On Day 1 you would do wide grip pullups superset with dips, which is 1 superset. Then on Day 4 where you have your arms and shoulder days, you would do superset with 3-4 exercises, so essentially, its 2 supersets for the arms and shoulder days? (cos 2 exercises form a superset)

Ya, I guess technically 2 exercises in a superset, thanks for the correction. I should have been more careful in my explanation. So I was suggesting that you could do a Giant Set instead of a superset. But honestly a superset is more than enough. I have found that because smaller muscles are involved, arm day is not as challenging to your ATP stores as chest/back day is. These exercises are good in this split:
Day 1: Superset Wide Grip Pull-ups with Wide Grip Dips chest down. For isolations I'll superset Really Wide grip Dips Chest down with a chest up Body Row (to hit the middle back)
Day 4: Narrow Grip Chin-ups superset with Narrow Grip Dips Chest and body upright. For Isolations I'll do Body Weight External Rotations superset with Handstand Shoulder Presses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Strive92

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:39 am

Thanks for the clarification, gonna start this GVT workout next week.
Just did the second workout that you described, i can do 14 pullups with good form, but after i maxed out the wide grip pull ups, i could only manage a pathetic 4 normal grip pull, 2 normal grip chin and 2 narrow grip chin. And the second set got even worse, i could only do 2 wide grip pullup and i was spent. Such a huge drop in reps, Is this normal when first starting this workout?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two solid routines that work.   

Back to top Go down

Two solid routines that work.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next