Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

General question about pull ups and dips improving work out

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Uselis

PostSubject: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:04 am

Hey everyone,

my apologies if something very similar to it was already asked gazillion times in this forum.Tried to look and read a lot but didn't find.

So my goal now to improve my pull ups and dips more then twice.Currently I can do 11 pull ups and only 10 dips.
I am doing one day pull ups and other day dips+push ups.The way I am doing pull ups is with intention to reach number of pull ups in one single work out.For example if I am doing 11 pull ups I try to reach 75 with 60 sec breaks after each repetition.All this takes about 20 min to complete.
Day after pull ups training I am working in same method with dips and push ups.Early in the morning I am doing push ups with legs on the bed and in the evening I am doing dips.
I only do those exercises without any abs or leg workout(although I run 4 times a week from 30min-1h).

My question would be:is this good way to increase my repetitions of pull ups and dips or there are way more effective ways to do it?
Should I do everything in one day or doing one day pull ups and another day dips/push ups good choice?

Thanks a lot for helping
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:49 am

I guess u mean 60 sec break after each set and not each repetition.

Yeah thats a good way to increase your reps by setting goals of work that u must do and try to make the time lower or increase reps in ur goal. BUT u must work hard i mean dont do easy sets like 2-3 reps but try to do normal sets maybe 5-8 for u.

Something else to mention is that its good to do many grips like chin ups neutral pull up but also change from normal to close or wide etc. The same goes for push ups(wide,normal,diamonds etc)

Well just to let you know other ways to increase reps are do sets till failure (and if you want after do one-two negatives), GTG (choose a set or superset and do them through the day whenever u fell ok, never tried it but i heard thats good). Most effective is not something that i can tell u as it depends on u.

As for doing one day push other pull or together thats depends on u, how u like it, i prefer doing one full workout and also doing supersets with pushing and pulling moves.

Something last to mention it would be good to do something extra for your core. If u dont want have time or whatever to do many exercises something like doing plank as much as u can after everyworkout is ok or maybe adding l-sit pull ups.

I hope i helped u.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uselis

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 am

My bad, I meant after each set as you pointed Smile

Thing is that I am still pretty weak with pull ups to compare so my training work out goes something like 10/5/4x5/3x13/2x3 until I reach 75.
I would love to do sets with 5 repetitions but in the end I feel pretty tired and can't go up more than 3.
Maybe I should lower my number?Say instead of 75 do 50 or even less but do twice or three times a day?
Assuming I am eating healthy about 5-6 times a day and doing pull ups only every other day I should recover normally if I do pull ups in this way twice a day.
I know that's very awkward to point me on the perfect way only from reading what I wrote but thank you for helping.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
1stratos1

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 am

well as u go till u cant do anymore its ok. I hope u are changing to more narrow and more wide as its help (for example wider work more lats).

U mentioned something for doing it twice or three times per day but doing less reps. Well i dont know, u can try it once or twice and see if it works Razz

Anyway keep working and ur numbers will go up. Maybe one month u ll get +2 reps maybe one other +3, also try changing once in a while ur workout because it looks like it helps. BTW bar-barian challenges are good way to change ur workout as u can add one exercise so u can progress on the challenge Smile

Just be patient it will come sooner or later. Maybe to see how u are progressing once per month or sooner u can re-check ur numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheHouDeani

PostSubject: do a factorial   Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 pm

here's an idea:

do a max set of pullups and dips. in your case it would be 11 pullups and 10 dips. then drop down by 1 until you get to 1 rep. so it would look like this:

11 pullups
10 dips
10 pullups
9 dips
9 pullups
8 dips
8 pullups

...all the way down to 1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uselis

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:35 pm

How much time per day complete this work out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheHouDeani

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:41 pm

until your work capacity is built up enough, i would only do it once a day. and you can rest however long you want in between exercises
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K4lisPeluru

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:29 pm

TheHouDeani wrote:
here's an idea:

do a max set of pullups and dips. in your case it would be 11 pullups and 10 dips. then drop down by 1 until you get to 1 rep. so it would look like this:

11 pullups
10 dips
10 pullups
9 dips
9 pullups
8 dips
8 pullups

...all the way down to 1

i agree with hou. however, i'd go barbaric downward pyramid from a higher total number. for example, set a number, one of my favs, a part of the old's BBR req - 40 dips, 20 pullups, 50 pushups.

set 1 - 40 dips, 20 pullups, 50 pushups
set 2 - 36 dips, 18 pullups, 45 pushups
set 3 - 32.. 16.. 40..
set 4 - 28.. 14.. 35..

do until all 3 exerices reach 0 reps.. if you cant do 40 straight dips, then just split like 20-20 or 10-10-10-10 then move to the next set and lets say you're out by the 5th set.. just call it a day.. i believe in brushing up the basics with high volumes to get more endurance and tougher.. Very Happy

this is not the best workout plan...
at the end of the day, its all on you. you owe it your body. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/fiqqymickey
CalisthenicsAndy

PostSubject: Re: General question about pull ups and dips improving work out   Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 am

this is gonna sound weird, but just "mess" around in your workouts
its what i do and its sorta worked so far...
i dont mean do push ups and go play the playstation, just experiment with everything.
i cant do planches yet, but i mess around between my workout trying them out... if ya get what i mean Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

General question about pull ups and dips improving work out

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1