Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What do you think about Kipping Pullups?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mdrop

PostSubject: What do you think about Kipping Pullups?   Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:42 am

I have personally never done them. I like using strict form with my pullups, but recently i have been looking into crossfit a bit more. Im curious to see what lee has to say about this. It uses more chest/cardio? Would it be good to incorporate them in, or will they hurt the form of my MUs and pullups? Ive never really had much respect for them but they do let you bang out reps and they work different muscles.....

What do u think brothers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about Kipping Pullups?   Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Not a fan. They can be useful, but they are far from crucial. I like my reps controlled. Learning the technique wouldn't be a bad idea, but training them more often than strict pull ups is a bad idea in my opinion.

Kipping can aggravate shoulders if they're not eased into. If you decide to use them, ease into it.

The main reason that crossfitters use them is because:

1. Crossfit workouts call for an obscene number of pull ups that most can't handle without cheating(yes, I believe that kipping pull ups are cheating)
2. People aren't strong enough to do strict pull ups(but kipping pull ups put more stress on the joints)
3. They're quicker than strict pull ups. One rep takes slightly less time to perform than a strict pull ups and you can do more. Most crossfit workouts are timed so this leads to higher scores
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheHouDeani

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about Kipping Pullups?   Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 pm

with normal kipping, yes it is easier, but once you get into the butterfly kip, it is all about more power and intensity. thats mainly why crossfit does kipping, to allow beginners the chance to get started on pullups, as well as give experienced crossfit athletes the chance to get faster times (like raja said) because POWER = WORK/TIME. outside of crossfit, i only do strict pullups though. also, if im doing high volume pullups, i might kip just to help me get the last few
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think about Kipping Pullups?   

Back to top Go down

What do you think about Kipping Pullups?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1