Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Looking For a good workout split.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Looking For a good workout split.   Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I am looking for a good split routine to maximize gains without risking overtraining and injury. Right now I try to keep each workout at about 45 min to 1.5 hours. My split looks like this:

5 day cycle:
Day 1 - Chest/Bicep/Shoulders
Push-ups, Handstands/Presses, Close grip pull/chin ups, wide Grip Leaning Dips

Day 2 - Legs/Core
Pistol Squats, Glute and Ham Raises on Monkey bars (rap a yoga mat around bar for knees), Knees to elbows, Leg Raise. Static Holds and some polimetrics.

Day 3 - Rest

Day 4 - Back/Tricep/Abs
Wide to Normal Mixed Grip Pull-Ups, Narrow Grip Upright Dips, Narrow Grip Push-ups, Dragon Flags

Day 5 - Rest

This works pretty well, as I usually do 10 sets of 2 compound exercises an 3 sets of the more isolation ones.

Although this probably looks like pleanty of work, I would love to do more. Another problem is, I often like to do circuits that will hit the entire upper body, but then it messes with my recovery. Does anyone have a good program that let's them train 5-6 days a week or even 3-4 times a week twice a day?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:30 am

um.. with compound excercises u cant do just biceps and just triceps or sumtin.. pullups target your biceps and forearms and back.
pushups target your chest and triceps and shoulders... thats why those bodybuilder splits dont exactly work best with calisthenics.
id suggest working every other day. or working 3 days, break, 3 days, break. that worked for me plenty.
what to do? well work moderately, not till failure.. or work to failure all the time and eat shitloads of healthy food like lbm.

and i dont think anyone knows your body better then u. so workout, when u feel tired, rest. that simple. i workout mon,tue,thu,fri,sat. i do muay thai also.. its like pretty simple and i always feel my max and keep gaining.
that way, for example i got from 8 fail pullups.. to like 15max with little to no kipping and full ROM in like.. 2 months?
if u dont wanna overthink it.. eat ALOT and work till yr dead all the time. otherwise wait for someone with more experience to answer u.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:16 am

just from personal experience i cant do splits. I really want to but i dont see a way to. I just go everyday (but not to failure) 2 days on one day off and i see improvements/gains. How would a MU fit into that split for example? I also tried working out a split a while ago but as i said i couldnt come up with a good one. When i first started i did push/pull days, but that didnt work so well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:39 pm

BleHz0r wrote:
um.. with compound excercises u cant do just biceps and just triceps or sumtin.. pullups target your biceps and forearms and back.
pushups target your chest and triceps and shoulders... thats why those bodybuilder splits dont exactly work best with calisthenics.

id suggest working every other day. or working 3 days, break, 3 days, break. that worked for me plenty.
what to do? well work moderately, not till failure.. or work to failure all the time and eat shitloads of healthy food like lbm.

First off, thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate it, so please don't think I am being critical. It is my own fault for not elaborating on my split. I guess I was just trying to keep my question short.

I agree with your thoughts on compounds movements to an extent. Pull-ups, pushup, dips, etc are all compounds; however, changing grips and the angle your body is performing the movement at can have a big impact on which muscles act as primary vs secondary movers. Even calling it primary vs secondary is a very course way of describing it, but for the purpose of creating a split it becomes common practice. It is imposible to work the chest and back without working the arms with any exercise, but you can focus on chest dominant movements on chest day, and triceps dominent movements on another.

What this does is allow you to have heavy and light days for each muscle group in a fixed day period. The one I described was a 5 day split.

BleHz0r wrote:

and i dont think anyone knows your body better then u. so workout, when u feel tired, rest. that simple. i workout mon,tue,thu,fri,sat. i do muay thai also.. its like pretty simple and i always feel my max and keep gaining.
that way, for example i got from 8 fail pullups.. to like 15max with little to no kipping and full ROM in like.. 2 months?

Your dead on here, Getting back to the basics of just working hard to get there seems to be key in everyones progress. Did you find that by the second or third day in a row you were declining? I wonder if hitting the muscles before they can recover will aid in encouraging your body to ramp up recovery pace? So that when you have an off day, your body will grow more rapidly.

[quote="BleHz0r"
if u dont wanna overthink it.. eat ALOT and work till yr dead all the time. otherwise wait for someone with more experience to answer u.
[/quote]

I am an engineer, so it is in my nature to evaluate things when I have time too. Wink In the end though, I just like to work hard, eat well, and get enough sleep for aid my recovery and keep growing.

Again, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Mdrop wrote:
just from personal experience i cant do splits. I really want to but i dont see a way to. I just go everyday (but not to failure) 2 days on one day off and i see improvements/gains. How would a MU fit into that split for example? I also tried working out a split a while ago but as i said i couldnt come up with a good one. When i first started i did push/pull days, but that didnt work so well

Ya, your right on the muscle ups. It sort of points back to my comment about enjoying to complete full upper body circuits. It is funny how feeling sore all over feels a lot better than feeling sore only on a few muscles. It is also why when doing splits I try to work opposing muscle groups, it just feels more balanced. There is also some studies out there that show that working opposing muscle groups actually will allow each muscle group to handle more weight and reps.

I kind of like BleHz0r's comment about working 3 days in a row. That reminds me of glycogen depletion training. But typically in the BB community, glycogen depletion training is followed by a 2-3 day carb up. It has a net result of pushing 150% of the glycogen back into the worked muscles. If I only did one day of rest, then I would likely get back around 100% of it back. A little less fuel for the coming onslaught of workouts, but then again getting a lot more work in a short period of time with modest recovery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:50 pm

damn that was a long read xD
yea ure right with everything. changing grips and doing variations targets different muscles, true.. ive just never overthought it.. i did normal pullups one day, close grip chins for an emphasis on biceps the other day, and wide grip pulls on the third.. worked my back enough on a weekly basis Smile
the same with pushing movements. normal width pushups on knuckles first day around, 2nd diamonds, and on the third day i did dips to blast the muscles.. at muay thai practice i did everything plyometric.. so i gained both some explosive strenght and some brute force. other than that i couldnt really say much more Smile just experience basically Smile

at the start, yes, by the third day i was dropping greatly.. but as i progressed i can now keep myself from dropping in reps much. ofc when your body adapts to training almost everyday, you dont drop much. until then its a bit of a drag indeed Smile
about rest.. well, yeah sometimes i felt so beat after three days i took 2 or 3 off just to check it out.. i felt stronger everytime. the only problem i had was the soreness in quads.. which was worse than anywhere else. nowadays i dont feel anything anyways Smile food is also key besides rest. and minimum of 8h of sleep a night.
i also found it usefull to have a week break entirely every 2 months or so. after that ure superman Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Seems like you're excited. That's not bad, but use the energy for more productive things. Prehab, stretching, balance training, etc. There's more to fitness than strength. Check out the gymnasticbodies forum. There's a whole section dedicated to joint prep/prehab work. It pays more dividends than adding sets of isolation moves.

Check these out for starters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YHIV4a81Os
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Wo095zPnc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeL0AYygiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V2Exzb324

Here's the forum I mentioned:
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking For a good workout split.   

Back to top Go down

Looking For a good workout split.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1