Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mistakenshyness

PostSubject: Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space   Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:14 am

Hi guys,

I'm a stickler for good technique, but the only quality chin-up bar I have access too at the moment is not high enough for me to keep my lower body fully extended without my feet hitting the ground. Does anyone know what the best thing to do in this situation is - is it to bend my legs at the knee and keep them behind me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grishenko45

PostSubject: Re: Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space   Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 am

hey,

i've the same problem sort of, i'm just a few inches too tall.

i do a mixture of the two.

feet behind - closer to the real thing

bent knees infront - slightly easier, but adds lower back and abs into the movement.

i do more "feet behind" than infront - as all your weight is behind you

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mistakenshyness

PostSubject: Re: Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space   Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks, that was helpful. So if I want to zone the emphasis in on my forearms/biceps (focusing on close-grips at the moment), bent knees and and legs back, and if I want to include abs and lower back for a fuller upper body workout, knees up a bit and forward?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space   Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:01 pm

just do pullups and chinups as you normally would, any grip, but with your legs straight in front of you, like an 'L'. if youre not strong enough to do this bend your knees out in front of you until you get the necessary core strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mdrop

PostSubject: Re: Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space   Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:48 am

mistakenshyness wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm a stickler for good technique, but the only quality chin-up bar I have access too at the moment is not high enough for me to keep my lower body fully extended without my feet hitting the ground. Does anyone know what the best thing to do in this situation is - is it to bend my legs at the knee and keep them behind me?

Do them L-sitting. It will add extra strain on your abbs though, idk if u mind that. If not just bend your knees slightly behind u.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space   

Back to top Go down

Best technique for chin-ups with restricted leg space
Page 1 of 1