Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How to improve your grip stamina and endurance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim

PostSubject: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Ok, i've posted this in for a couple of people previously, but it seems to be getting asked more, so here it is in it's own thread Smile

I used to use the following exercise routines when i was training my hands for rock climbing. These exercises are stolen from Metolius from there finger boards and modified slightly.

Each difficulty level is a 10 minute exercises.

Start your timer and then begin each section at the start of every minute. All of this is done on a pull up bar, drop off the bar after you have completed each section (before the minute is up)

Where it just says hang, do so with straight arms Smile

They Don't look too bad... but don't be fooled by it, by the 10th minute even the easy is a bit of a challenge!!

Enjoy!!

Entry Level:
Time Task
1st Minute 15 sec hang
2nd Minute 1 pull up
3rd Minute 10 sec hang
4th Minute 15 sec hang, followed by 3 shoulder shrugs
5th Minute 20 sec hang, followed by 2 pull ups
6th Minute 10 sec hang, followed by 5 knee raises (or leg raises)
7th Minute 4 pull ups
8th Minute 10 sec hang
9th Minute 3 pull ups
10th Minute hang as long as you can

Pretty easy so far Wink

Intermediate Level:
Time Task
1st Minute 15 sec hang, followed by 3 pull ups
2nd Minute 2 pull ups, followed by 20 sec hang
3rd Minute 20 sec hang, followed by 15 sec 90* bent arm hang
4th Minute 30 sec hang
5th Minute 20 sec hang, followed by 4 pull ups
6th Minute 3 off set pull ups, each arm (use a towel or something to lower one side)
7th Minute 15 knee(leg) raises, followed by 15 sec hang
8th Minute 25 sec hang
9th Minute 15 sec hang, followed by 3 pull ups
10th Minute Hang as long as you can

This is as far as I got, though to help train for the advanced I did a 19 min version, Mins 1-9 of intermediate followed by full easy level.

Time for the KILLER! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Advanced Level:
Time Task
1st Minute 20 secs hang, followed by 3 pull ups
2nd Minute 20 secs slightly bent arm hang, followed by either 20 secs L-sit or 20 knee(leg) raises
3rd Minute 5 pull-ups, followed by 25 sec hang
4th Minute Without getting off the bar, change grip/position one hand at a time x5, stay at each position for 5 secs (so a 30sec exercise), followed by 20 sec hang
5th Minute 20 sec single arm hang, followed by same with other arm
6th Minute 5 offset pull ups, both sides
7th Minute 30 sec 90* bent arm hang, followed by 15 sec straight arm hang
8th Minute 3 L-sit pull-ups, followed by either 5 sec front lever or 15 sec straight arm hang
9th Minute 20 sec hang on 2 fingers (each hand), followed by 3 weighted pull ups
10th Minute Maximum slightly bent arm hang, at failure drop into straight arm and hold till failure - no rest between each hang!

Enjoy Smile

Last edited by Tim on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:22 pm

definitely worth a try
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MarineMotivatedMe

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 pm

could you explain a little more how i should go about doing this? am i onthe bar the whole time?? or..idk ..help? lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm

no, only for the set for that minute (25sec hang, done, get off bar).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 pm

MarineMotivatedMe wrote:
could you explain a little more how i should go about doing this? am i onthe bar the whole time?? or..idk ..help? lol

Just as Vladimir said, after you've done each mini exercise (like the 25second hang) come off the bar and rest until you hit the start of the next minute (and the next exercise)

It would be ridiculously hard core if the beginner workout had you hanging on a bar for 9 mins minimum Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 pm

don't mean to further complicate this routine it looks fun but since u mention u were training your hands for rock climbing does the way you hang on the bar change at all? like is there a different grip to take? hanging from just 4 fingers (not using thumb to hook around) is slightly harder than using your thumb to wrap around the bar so the type of grip would definitely matter.

I'll have to try this when I'm fresh soon looks like fun.. I'm all about anything that kills the forearms right now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:27 pm

The original work out had varying numbers of fingers and different holds (you used one of the metolius finger boards - google them) however i was more interested in stamina at the time and only had a pull up bar available so i only did a neutral pull-up grip.

If you're interested I can find the original version i have with the different numbers of fingers/holds etc Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Disembowelment

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:24 pm

ohh cool cool, so maybe I could do this hanging from a ledge or something like that... THAT sounds like it would really train the grip... currently I do all my pull ups with just my four fingers not wrapping the thumb and I do train with just 2 fingers sometimes, 1 finger is still way too challenging for me... my fingers overall are kind of weak, even push ups on fingertips is tough for me and cant do many reps. I can't do L-sits on my fingers either without a lot of pain. I guess they need more time to build that up still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Br_Warrior

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 am

Thats an interesting routine.
Thank you Tim.

As Vladimir said, def worth a try Smile

Peace
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnny 5

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Tim,

I like the chart you have, I find that I do most of my grip training, very little to be honest with you, towards the end of the week, usually the last day of my training week, last exercises of the day.

Are you going to enter a video for March's contest? I bet you would do very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks Jonny 5, this training was primarily for when I was rock climbing a lot, i do no dedicated* grip training now Very Happy

Just entered this months contest (and taken the lead Wink )

* i do however do sets of 20ish hanging leg raises which is over a minute gripping the bar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tannu119

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am

i did intermediate;D completed everything at the end holded 1 minute ma forearms burnnn!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hundred.rights

PostSubject: A helpful technique   Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:07 pm

I can't remember where I got this from but another way to increase your grip strength is to use a towel or a strap of some sort and to throw it around a bar and to grab the end(s) of the towel/strap.
You can really feel it working in the forearms almost immediately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vladimir

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 pm

hundred.rights wrote:
I can't remember where I got this from but another way to increase your grip strength is to use a towel or a strap of some sort and to throw it around a bar and to grab the end(s) of the towel/strap.
You can really feel it working in the forearms almost immediately.

yea almost like climbing rope
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bevinator

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Really enjoyed this.
Have been looking for a way to increase my grip strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PullUpImpulse

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm

gotta try these. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:31 pm

wow i just did the beginner entry level one..
forearms are burning!!!

how many times a week is this recommended to do??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 pm

One set without leaving the bar.

5 sec hang
1 pull up
10 sec hang
1 pull up
15 sec hang
1 pull up
20 sec hang
1pull up
25 sec hang
1 pull up
30 sec hang
1 pull up

Still feel strong go back down to 5 without leaving the bar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey1995

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:18 am

so how many times a week shud i do this workout then???

anyone???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ironloo

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:22 am

Everyday if you want, after your workout. Say you fall off the bar at the 25sec. point wait like 10 sec. then go back on write this down on a piece of paper so you beat it the next time constant progress
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to improve your grip stamina and endurance   

Back to top Go down

How to improve your grip stamina and endurance
Page 1 of 1