Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Workout Planning!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
boomTown

PostSubject: Workout Planning!   Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Alright so I know this general idea has been discussed quite a bit on the various forums..but I haven't been able to find an exact answer to what I'm looking for. I know everyone's body, workout style, and workout preference are different. But I'm just lookin for a general census.

I used to work out at a gym for a few years up until a few months ago when I discovered the great world of calisthenic training ( cheers ) And I always used to keep a workout log, along with a set routine that I was going to do that day.

Since I started calisthenics however, I haven't logged anything..nor have I gone to the park with any set routine that I was going to do. I kind of decide when I get there what kinda supersets, or pyramids, static or straight sets I'm gonna do. I kinda make it up as I go along. And, I get a great workout every time, and I switch it up often to keep things fresh and fun..and to keep my gains coming..

So now that you just read my novel, I was just wondering if you guys keep a log. If you find it helpful or motivating to do so. And also..I know a lot of you guys post your training logs on the forums here. Do you think its better to have a set routine and stuff?

Like i said, I know everyone's personal preference is different, I guess really I'm just trying to find out if I'm hindering myself at all by not going with a set routine or keeping a log.

Thanks for the reply guys, and sorry for the life story study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Workout Planning!   Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:57 am

I do keep a log of what i've done (see the training log Wink ) mostly to see how far i've come and keep track of progress.

But also for those days where I don't feel inspired and can't think of a routine, I just go and have a look at my old routines and use one of them Smile

Sometimes i'll start a workout with a definite plan, but mostly, i just start working out and see where it goes Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Workout Planning!   Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:08 am

Make sure you set aside goals first. For example, front lever. If you decide you want a front lever, focus on pulling and core strength that will help with the front lever. Focus on the static hold progressions(from Coach Sommer's article on Dragon Door), pull ups(weighted if possible), and core work(hanging leg raises, dragonflags, etc.) that will all help attain the front lever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boomTown

PostSubject: Re: Workout Planning!   Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Yeah I gotcha..both good responses. I should add in that I kinda like the freedom of just going and doing what I want to that day.

I do have goals set, and things to accomplish. I think the main benefit would be what Tim said about being able to look and see what kind of progress I've made right there on paper.

Cmon, anyone else got some input on this? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Workout Planning!   Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 am

i also keep a log here in the forum, but also have a "manual" one (book + paper) in the manual one i write more than in the online one. i mean u can still write down what u did after your training, blog doesnt mean ur no spontaneous. i also go to the park just like that and then afterwards write down what i am doing. or if i workout in between uni lessons and have paper etc with me i use my rest time to write something.

personal decision. i think it is helpful. after a year or so you look back into your training log and are like "wow i have done a giant step" or whatever. or you see you havent and see whats wrong and can correct it. i think errbody should have something and i believe actually everybody does. some like to take pictures, some expose the new muscles in public and wait for feedback from friends and girls (lol) and some write a log (we losers) jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Workout Planning!   

Back to top Go down

Workout Planning!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1