Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daniel

PostSubject: How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)   Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:33 am

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs
Jess

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)   Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 am

Just a few things I would add, being a person who started from zero a year or so ago after years of not training. Now, I am at about 6 reps pronated, and 9-10 suppinated.

Mix up the grips. It is easy to get tendonitis in the beginning stages. I would have someone do more suppinated (chinups) than pronated (pullups). I found that kept the stress balanced on my elbows. I still use 2 chinup workouts to one pullup workout a week, and my numbers are still improving on both.

Don't push too hard in the beginning. Especially with volume. I wouldn't add any extra work unless your ability to do a pullup is getting better, which you can test once a week. Adding more seconds to negatives, statics, and weight to singles before you adapt can push too much too fast. I pushed hard in the begininng, because you remember what you could do when you were in better shape, or hear of all these magic programs that will get you from 0 to 12 in 4 months or less.

The hard part I found was not getting the 1st pullup, but getting multiple pullups without getting tendonitis. You can't do many sets of 1 or two without risking tendonitis, and negative/statics are boring. Once I got 3 pullups I found that I was able to use chinups to get more reps in. Using chinups is what has allowed me to progress safely beyond 3 reps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jared101

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)   Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Negatives really do help to initiate the long unused back muscles. This will establish the proper strength to finally get the pull-ups down . Laughing Early on it should also be about taking the weight load off with assistance of a chair or stool. Technique and proper form is essential to get the very best out of this exercise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http:///www.qwikbody.com
mistakenshyness

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)   Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:51 am

This was great, thanks. I am progressing well and I think I'm about ready to start pronated chin-ups. I find I can do the entire pronated range of motion up and down fairly easily except for the first tiny little few centimetres of elevation which my shoulders just cannot perform for some reason. I'm confused as to whether this is due to a muscular weakness that I need to train away through negatives, or if it's a co-ordination issue and my muscles just need to "learn" the movement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattseefood

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)   Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:20 am

This really helps a lot! Especially for beginners! Nice work Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)   

Back to top Go down

How to do a Pull-up (For beginners!)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1