Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bones66 Training Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Bones66

PostSubject: Thursday Training   Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:08 am

Morning

Deep Snow in the park this morning

1m run
10 x 200m sprint
10 x 100m sprint
1m run

Handstand hold 10min anyhow rest/pause 6 holds total

Bridge wall walks 20

5 rounds of
100 Hindu Squats
20 Hindu Pushups (Diamond Hands)

Evening

Indoors for:
CC
Knee Tucks 40,40,40 (pass to next)
Straight Bridges 40.40,40 (pass to next)
Crow Stand 1 min (pass to next)

Then garden for:
Ladders Up, Down, Up, Down for
Pullups 2,4,6,8,10,10,8,6,4,2,2,4,6,8,10,10,8,6,4,2
Bench Dips 4,8,12,16,20,20,16,12,8,4,4,8,12,16,20,20,16,12,8,4
(supersets to keep moving in the cold)

Kettlebell juggling practice 20 mins

Freezing Freezing Freezing in the garden but plenty of steam rising by the end.

Stretching 1hr while watching I'm a Celeb on the V+. Stacey for the win.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Re: Bones66 Training Log   Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:36 am

csaba wrote:
i see, thanks. right now i'm working on improving my handstand. my max hold is 30s, but still i have trouble getting into stable position with straight body, locked shoulders, etc. my goal is to be able to do controlled handstand pushups.

i see you do a lot of hindu squats. i have read a lot of conflicting information on whether or not they are good for your knees. what are your thoughts on this? thanks.

On handstands I'd suggest working press handstands as this will give you a sense of control over your midsection which leads to stability in the hold.

It's not something people normally do outside of gym but it really makes a difference to your level of control and ability to have a straight handstand as opposed to balancing in a banana shape.

You can start by working from a headstand then on your hands against a wall then on the floor and a low bar or parallettes with a spotter. Eventually you will be able to press yourself into a rock solid handstand.

Supplementary exercises would be lots of arch and hollow rocks, arch-to-hollow rolls, v-ups, hanging leg raises, reverse hypers (hug-a-twinkie), static h/s holds against the wall, frog stands, L-sit holds, half-h/s pushups

plus

lots of stretching until you can get a perfect pike fold and pancake.

Worth the effort if you can achieve it.

I'll come back about Hindu Squats
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Bones66 Training Log   Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Press handstand is something I've set my sights on but haven't been training for specifically. I'll work on what you recommended. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Friday Training   Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Morning

Out in the snow at -3C and loving it. New shoes - Onitsuka Tiger 66 - don't let in the water and keeping my feet relatively toastie. Not as soft and natural as my usual trusty FeiYues but in these conditions need something to cushion the hard ground and keep my feet dry.

4m run in 33:56'. Bit of an improvement. Could have gone faster if not for snow.

Took my tyre and 16kg KB to the park with me so after run:

5 rounds no rests of
Tyre push press throw for one length of football field
Tyre backwards overhead throw back the other way (one length of field)
40 KB swing-release & spin -catch

Tied a rope through the tyre to give me 2 handles to pull on and stuffed the KB into the rim then

3 rounds no rest of
Walk forward till arms stretched behind then pull tyre forward with straight arm Flye then repeat and keep moving until reach the end of the field
then
Walk backwards till arms stretched forward then pull tyre back with reverse Flye then repeat until back to start

(sorry for the bad description)
(was thinking of Jackie Chan training in Fearless Hyena when he's pulling the sandbags and made up my version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRmrFfhkqmI

Dips
Ladders up,down,up,down

Evening

Trampoline session 2hrs

Stretch

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Handbalancing Inspiration   Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:06 am

Totally fired up for more training after seeing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-b8IAliW8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Saturday Training   Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:04 pm

Light Day

Evening

CC

Pushups (Level 4 - Half Pushups) 25,25 Pass
Pushups (Level 5 - Full Pushups) 20,20 Pass
Pushups (Level 6 - Close Pushups) 20,20 Pass

Squats (Level 4 - Half Squats) 50,50 Pass
Squats (Level 5 - Full Squats) 30,30 Pass
Squats (Level 6 - Close Squats) 20,20 Pass

Nothing really challenging yet but just working through the progressions slowly and trying for perfect form and metronome cadence.
Close squats, although no problem stength-wise, are a little tricky from a balance point of view. I think it's because I need to work on shin strength. Passed but gonna keep practicing to improve angle of torso and that shin strength which should hopefully have a positive impact on my OLS. Like it.

Footnote. Ordered a copy of Solitary Fitness by Charles Bronson from Amazon last week to compare with CC. Can't wait to see his prescription. I imagine it's gonna be extreme.

Stretching++ Feeling a lot looser this week which is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Re: Bones66 Training Log   Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 pm

csaba wrote:
Press handstand is something I've set my sights on but haven't been training for specifically. I'll work on what you recommended. Thanks Very Happy

That's cool.

If you've not worked handstand press before there's a few things I'd suggest bearing in mind:

1. This is a strength movement but it is also a flexibility movement. When you press up into the handstand the further your legs are away from your body the harder it is. If you are not flexible it requires almost impossible levels of strength. This is why flexible 8 year old kids can master it even though they have none of the strength of an adult. Think of it as a skill rather than just a brute force exercise.
2. It's a slow build-up skill so you need to work on some fundamentals first.
3. Number 1 fundamental is to be able to easily perform a perfectly flat pancake stretch and pike fold. So stretch these 2 or 3 times a day until they are easy.
4. Number 2 fundamental is a really good strong abdominal compression. This means being able to draw your straight legs in towards your body until the touch (or nearly). To achieve this you need to work through progressions towards a solid full hanging leg raise. Ideally you want to be able to bring your feet up under the bar and with a nearly fully open shoulder (meaning the line through your body and your arm is straight or the shoulder angle is 180). Obviously you can only achieve this if you also have a perfect pike fold. If you don't have the pike fold your shoulder angle will close as you lift your legs. Plenty of people can touch the bar with their feet but not many can do it with a fully open shoulder angle.
There's a whole load of progressions to get to that which I could suggest if you are interested.
5. Number 3 fundamental is to be able to easily hold your bodyweight on your hands without support. Usually you are not developing this skill in isolation in the gym so things like planche are also being built up at the same time which give you the wrist and arm strength you need. I'd suggest working through the planche progressions at the same time. Coach Sonnon's website has some pretty clear guidelines on how to develop the planche.
This way you get two skills for the price of one!
6. Work on hollows and arches for balanced abdo and spinal erector strength.
7. Do lots of reverse hypers (not bodybuilding style with loose knees but with very straight fully extended legs). Easy to do anywhere off the edge of a table. In a conventional gym you can get a swiss ball and put it on a flat bench then lie on the ball on your chest (not your hips) and grab the bench underneath so you have a big drop for your legs. I find you can get a really good high lift this way - just make sure you don't overbalance and end up face first onto the floor!
8. The purpose of all of this is to give you the strength and proprioception you need to get your hips above your shoulders and hands when you are inverted. This is the key element in the skill and the hardest to conquer.
9. When you are ready to start practicing the presses best start from a headstand and get used to lifting your straight legs up over your head. You can start doing this early on because you don't need so much flexibility or abdominal compression to do it. Do it against a wall to start because you will fall over in the beginning. Move away from the wall when you feel confident but make sure you know how to roll out of the headstand or you'll get some painful slams down onto the mat.
10. Once you feel ready to go up on your hands you can start again by practicing against the wall. Then when you move away from the wall get a spotter to help you because you will definitely overbalance in the beginning and end up falling.

Hope this helps a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Sunday Training   Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Morning

CC

Waist (Level 2 - Flat Knee Raises) 35, 35, 35 Pass
Waist (Level 3 - Flat Bent Leg Raises) 30, 30, 30 Pass
Waist (Level 4 - Flat Frog Raises) 25, 25, 25 Pass
Waist (Level 5 - Flat Straight Leg Raises) 20, 20, 20 Pass

Afternoon

Gym. 2hrs. Floor conditioning. Parallel Bars. Bridging++. Handsprings on tumble track. Stretching.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Bones66 Training Log   Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:38 am

Thanks for the advice! My flexibility needs a lot of work. I've been focusing on that recently and seeing some improvement. It'll take a while before I can get a full pike or pancake. But that just makes it more rewarding Smile I'll be referring back to your post as I progress.

That entcho hand balancing video is incredible!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Monday Training   Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:15 am

Rest Day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Tuesday Workout   Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Morning

New Style

Park.
In the park I train in there's an old bowling green and pavilion. The green is a grass square with each side about 40m. The pavillion has steps and a disabled ramp about 20m long running up to a concrete terrace.

All runs are 1 time around the square as fast as I can then hops or skips or bunny hops up the ramp to the terrace. Allowing for corner cutting I'm saying it's 100m around and I get 10-13 hops up the ramp each time.

The terrace is where I do pushups, situps etc, there's a wall for handstand pushups/wall walks and the steps for whatever.

All sets of calisthenics are immediately followed by 1 fast run round.

No rests allowed.

Time limit 1 hour.

Warm up 4 runs (slow)

Pushups 10 reps x 20
Lying Straight leg raises 20 reps x 20
Handstand pushups 10 reps x 10
Step Dips ( basically bench dips off steps) 10 reps x 10

Total runs 64 (including 4 slow warm up runs)

Shagged out at the end. But satisfied.

Evening

Muscle Up practice at home. Don't have a bar I can use for MUs at home as find I just can't use my power tower as the handle supports are in the wrong place and the other bits and pieces get in the way. Solution is a steel pole between the backs of two sofas and L-sit MUs.

Warm up

L-sit MU 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 (Total 20)

CC
Pullups (Level 1 - Horizontal Pulls) 15,15,15 Super strict chest to the bar shoulder blades fully retracted 2 up 1 hold 2 down

Rope Lever Pulls - (pull up from horizontal to standing keeping straight body using long reach) 10 sets of 5 up and down.

Reverse glute-ham raises (with back of the sofa as my twinkie) 10 x 5

Stretch + Straddle Lever practice

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Wednesday   Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Busy - Rest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Thursday Training   Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Special Day

Performing a test to see if bicarbonate of soda can cure DOMS as per Charles Bronson's recommendation in Solitary Fitness.

Objective: perform some very high rep sets to guarantee soreness tomorrow then dose with bicarb and see if soreness prevented.

Here's what I did:

1000 continuous Hindu Squats

Then 10 giant sets of
sit-ups in sets of 40 to total 400
Pushups in sets of 30 to total 300
Dips in sets of 20 to total 200
Pullups in sets of 10 to total 100

I was going to do 500 Hindu Squats but since I do that most days I decided it wasn't enough so I shot for a continuous set of 1000. That's more than I've done in one straight set before. First 500 was easy in under 16 mins but final 300 was really tough but although I slowed down I was able to keep going contiuously. Finally finished in 48 mins. Unbelievable pump so I could hardly feel my legs at the end. Definitely going to feel pain tomorrow unless bicarb works.

Other sets done contiuously with no breaks or rests.

Did this in the afternoon and took a dose of 2 teaspoons of bicarb in a mug of water at about 9pm. Horrible taste and gave me a temporary stomach ache but strangely the pumped feeling in my legs dissappeared. Next is to wait and see how I feel tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bones66 Training Log   

Back to top Go down

Bones66 Training Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2