Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hi Barbarians from Bones66

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bones66

PostSubject: Hi Barbarians from Bones66    Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:03 am

Greetings all.

Bones66 here and ready to hit the bars with you all.

44 years old, physical therapist, South African living in London and Japan, former gymnast and lover of all kinds of bodyweight working out. I love outdoor training in all weathers. As well as training I'm into barefoot hiking and open water swimming. My favourite environment is the beach and I drive my family nuts always looking for the perfect workout location when we are on holiday.

I've got two sons who've been gymnasts since they were 5 and are now 9 and 10 and starting to get into working out in a big way. Nothing like being a dad working out with his sons!

Felt my age a bit this year with a hernia back in February that needed surgery and put me out of action and into the fat club for a good 6 months. Then a surf accident in August that nearly broke my back. Calisthenics has put me back on the road to recovery though and now I'm fighting fit and looking forward to taking part in the forum challenges.

My big goal this year is to conquer the 2K10 requirements by the end of the year. I'm planning to be ready for my attempt around Christmas when I'll be in Tokyo.

Last edited by Bones66 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IronWolverine1973

PostSubject: Re: Hi Barbarians from Bones66    Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Bones66 wrote:
Greetings all.

44 years old, former gymnast and lover of all kinds of bodyweight working out. I love outdoor training in all weathers. As well as training I'm into barefoot hiking and open water swimming. My favourite environment is the beach and I drive my family nuts always looking for the perfect workout location when we are on holiday.
I've got two sons who've been gymnasts since they were 5 and are now 9 and 10 and starting to get into working out in a big way. Nothing like being a dad working out with his sons!

Felt my age a bit this year with a hernia back in February that needed surgery and put me out of action and into the fat club for a good 6 months. Then a surf accident in August that nearly broke my back. Calisthenics has put me back on the road to recovery though and now I'm fighting fit and looking forward to taking part in the forum challenges.

My big goal this year is to conquer the 2K10 requirements by the end of the year. I'm planning to be ready for my attempt around Christmas when I'll be in Tokyo.

I'm based in London and Japan but love spain and spend as much time as I can there.

Welcome to the site and good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: Hi Barbarians from Bones66    Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Bones66 wrote:
Greetings all.

44 years old, former gymnast and lover of all kinds of bodyweight working out. I love outdoor training in all weathers. As well as training I'm into barefoot hiking and open water swimming. My favourite environment is the beach and I drive my family nuts always looking for the perfect workout location when we are on holiday.

I'm based in London and Japan but love spain and spend as much time as I can there.

You'll get mad props if you can hit those requirements this year. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/PhilliamDane
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Hi Barbarians from Bones66    Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Welcome! If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work in Tokyo? I spent some time there 5 years ago as a student and loved it. I can't remember, do the parks typically have pullup or parallel bars?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bones66

PostSubject: Re: Hi Barbarians from Bones66    Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:47 am

csaba wrote:
Welcome! If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work in Tokyo? I spent some time there 5 years ago as a student and loved it. I can't remember, do the parks typically have pullup or parallel bars?

Well, my wife is from there so we spend about a 1/4 of the year over there. My work is mainly in London though.

Yes, they do have equipment in parks and in Tokyo you will find fitness parks scattered all through the city. Japan is great for outdoor training. I'm going to take some pics and videos this time and I'll post it up here so people can see.

My favourite in Tokyo is in ShibaKoen (Shiba Park) near to Akebanebashi Station and the Park Tower Hotel. You'll find pullup bars of different height and dipping poles (not parallel bars but sort of poles stuck in the ground that you can balance your hands on) and a bunch of other bits and pieces for creative training.

Japanese people, just like they do in China, love training outdoors and you'll see a lot of old-timers doing taiso (exercises) in the morning. Last time I was there I was going out about 7am to train and there was always this old guy in the park with me. He would start of doing some calisthenics then spend about an hour just pounding a tree with his fists before going off to work (or have a lie down) ........

That's just my favourite spot but there's similar all over the place and lots of monkey bars in children's playgrounds that you can hit early in the morning if you like getting out before everyone else does.

Osaka is pretty good for outdoor equipment too and most small towns have at least one place you can go.

Compare that to the UK where there is nothing. I live in West London and the closest to me is a very run down and incomplete set up at the Linford Christie Stadium about 2.5 miles away.

I've been thinking for a while we need a campaign for calisthenics parks here in the UK.

Anyway, if anyone here is thinking of going to Japan let me know I'm happy to give any advice I can.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JRose

PostSubject: Sites in the UK   Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:11 pm

I think It would be a very good idea to start a petition for these places in the UK as When you train in some parks that have bars for kids the parents get really funny with you. A dedicated place for people to work out is what is needed.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi Barbarians from Bones66    

Back to top Go down

Hi Barbarians from Bones66
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1