Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Question for the guy's over 35

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TrailNRG

PostSubject: Question for the guy's over 35   Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Not to discriminate but I had a question for the older guy's regarding routines and recovery. I'm 41 and notice that I don't bounce back as quickly as I used too when lifting, riding and running. I've put together a basic routine of pull-up's, dips, squats and push-up's that I've been doing 3 times per week but I feel like I might be ready for a bit more.

Being a NOOB with bodyweight training I could use some advice in this respect.

I made a few searches on the subject and couldn't find anything so i figured it's might be a question that's of interest.

Thanks for reading and any help that you can provide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm not over 35, but I'm a noob as well. What exactly do you mean by feeling ready for a bit more? Are you talking about progressing into more intense exercises or a more difficult routine? Are you looking more for pure endurance (I read somewhere that you're a cyclist) or power? I personally just want to be able to do tougher exercises and things that look cool (planche push ups, human flag, dragon flag, etc.). If you're looking for some progressions or really just about anything, here are some websites that I find really helpful.

This has a large list of different exercises for progressions and some ideas to switch up the routine (under training protocols). Also some goals to work towards under the feats of strength tab: http://thebarunion.com/Exercises.html

Al Kavadlo, a member here, has a great website that brings about some good inspiration for me. He recently just finished a book as well. I haven't been able to order it yet because of money issues, but people that have said it was very well done and informative:
http://www.alkavadlo.com

This website is also a great one for exercise tutorials that will really get your workout intensity up:
http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm

There's a topic on this forum that has a link to a PDF of a lot of the crossfit workouts that are great for endurance. Many of them look insane to me right now, but you can always scale them down to your fitness levels and even just get some ideas about how to do your own routine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:21 pm

Not over 35 either, but thought I'd chime in. Make sure you're maximizing your recovery abilities by sleeping as much as you can(atleast 6 or 7 hours per night), eating wholesome foods, and don't overstep your boundaries.

Working with the basics(push ups, squats, pull ups, etc) I think it's easy to say that most people can handle higher volume. But with the more difficult gymnastic moves that are hard on the joints(planche, handstand, etc.) are more taxing and take longer to recover from. Therefore, they should be practiced with less frequency and volume(atleast at first).

You may want to start working on front lever/back lever/planche/handstand. But be cautious and don't do too much volume at the beginning. Let your joints adapt for a few weeks, then you can add more volume. You can start with 15 seconds of static holds per move per workout at first. Add 5 seconds per exercise per week until you're at 30 seconds.

Check out "the shrimp" by Ido Portal on youtube. A great leg exercise, similar to a lunge. There are a few levels of difficulty to keep it interesting. Natural Leg Curl is another great exercise that's less known. Variety is the spice of life and will keep you interested in calisthenics for much longer than just doing the same things over and over again.

If you're interested, here's a few books about bodyweight strength training that you may be interested in:

Never Gymless by Ross Enmait
Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade
Building the Gymnastic Body by Coach Christopher Sommer

You may want to browse: www.gymnasticbodies.com for their forum. It's full of information and great advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrailNRG

PostSubject: Question for the guy's over 35   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Thank you guys!

I appreciate your time and advice. I will be sure to check out the links and resources that you provided.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradmc

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:53 pm

i am well over 35 (almost 48). I blew out new goals and became stronger than ever at 47 and guarantee that 48 will be my best year ever.

i do several things to help achieve goals and prevent injury

train variety (helps with boredom and muscle over use)

drink lots of water

lots of stretching before and after the workouts

dont push it if my body doesnt feel ready

instead pick another exercise and continue on.

you can check out a wild variety of bodyweight exercises at www.sealgrinderpt.com

enjoy and please give feedback.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sealgrinderpt.com
x

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:45 pm

-

Last edited by x on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrailNRG

PostSubject: Thank You   Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:44 pm

It's great to hear from some of the older guy's! Thank you for your well thought out replies, I greatly appreciate your time.

Training has been going well. I took some of the advice provided above, read the links and purchased a few books. I've been blending the bodyweight sessions with kettlebells & sprints and have been feeling great. Diet and recovery are definitely key.

quick - Great points! It's true that listening to your body and learning to follow your own path is the most conducive to long term success.

bradmc - I saw your post over on the Flat Stomach at 40 thread; great shot! I'm assuming that you compete in strongman competitions as well based on that photo. By chance, do you blend deadlifting into your program, and if so, could you describe your programming?

Thanks again to everyone and have a great holiday season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bradmc

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:46 pm

TrailNRG wrote:

bradmc - I saw your post over on the Flat Stomach at 40 thread; great shot! I'm assuming that you compete in strongman competitions as well based on that photo. By chance, do you blend deadlifting into your program, and if so, could you describe your programming?

I train for CrossFit competitions (am a CrossFit certified trainer) and have to compete with young guns half my age.

I do a lot of bodyweight work (check out www.sealgrinderpt.com) but start all weekly work with heavy weights (deadlift, squat, shoulder press, etc.).

I deadlift at least twice a week and try to do after a rest day. Sometimes I do low reps, sometimes high reps and for time with good form. For a few weeks I will go with linear progressions on dead lifts and try to stay very strict in form. Just hit a new PR at 360 lbs deadlift weighing in at 165 lbs.

I am almost 48 and will hit all new PR's this year with power from the man above.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sealgrinderpt.com
TrailNRG

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm

[quote="bradmc"]
TrailNRG wrote:

bradmc - Just hit a new PR at 360 lbs deadlift weighing in at 165 lbs.

Nice pull Brad and congrat's on breaking the 2x bodyweight mark! That's great. I'm 185lbs and am working towards that goal right no myself so thanks for the inspiration to keep rolling.

Great site by the way. I've just got a new camera for the family so I'll see if I can get one of the tykes to take a video so that I can submit an entry to the pull up challenge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:16 am

Damn, I'm going on 42 and have never felt better in my life. I'm always pushing my limits, and yeah, I feel it sometimes with recovery and whatnot, but if you warm-up properly, train smartly, eat well and get plenty of rest, there's nothing you can't achieve.

Also, if I could match up with my 22 year-old self right now, I'd kick his a$$ every day of the week! LOL!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duf

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 pm

daWALLi wrote:
Damn, I'm going on 42 and have never felt better in my life. I'm always pushing my limits, and yeah, I feel it sometimes with recovery and whatnot, but if you warm-up properly, train smartly, eat well and get plenty of rest, there's nothing you can't achieve.

Also, if I could match up with my 22 year-old self right now, I'd kick his a$$ every day of the week! LOL!

See that Dawalli guy? Do what he does! Smile

Just turned 43 here. I still am trying to hit new personal bests on a routine basis. All of the advice above is solid. The biggest thing for me is not trying to push through injury, it just leads to longer and more severe injuries.

Fear of old age and death is the best motivator for me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://duf.net
daWALLi

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:31 pm

Quote :
See that Dawalli guy? Do what he does! Smile

Haha! Thanks Shawn, but you've been a good role model around here lately - posting challenges left right and center and giving it your all. That's what it's all about!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for the guy's over 35   

Back to top Go down

Question for the guy's over 35
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1