Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I found you all by researching how to improve my pull-up performance. I am a gym rat, but love to get out and do things out doors. I am also a huge advocate of body weight exercises, and have kept them in my core weight lifting routine as long as I can remember. I think your tips and workout plans are going to help me a great deal.

So, onto my topic: Lower Body Workouts. So much of this site is focused on upper body conditioning, that I think I can add some value with an exercise I could not find talked about in this forum:

Glute and Ham Raises!

These are the KING of lower body exercises. Your hams, glutes, calves, and lower back will be singing "ATTENTION!" like you have never felt before after a set of these guys. In fact they are so tough that I think these should be added to the list of exercises required to reach Bar-Baron. Your whole nervous system will gain benefit from these, not only increasing your lower body and core strength, but also triggering strength in your upper body. Anyone can do them, with slightly adjusting the pivot point from above your knees for an easier workout (like in the youtube video) to an advance workout at or below your knees (as in my facebook video). Check these out and let me know what you think:

Here I am doing the eccentric (my favorite) version of the exercise:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=167359229947434&saved

Here is someone else using a Glute and Ham Machine (Not really Needed and easy to substitute with a simple Roman Chair)

If you want you can add a rubber strap or weights to pull you down more, but I would not recommend doing that until you have mastered doing volumes of these setting the pivot point at your knees like in my personal video.

Hope you all like the exercise and please provide feedback after you have tried them. I bet they will prove to be pretty popular around here.

Last edited by ChimarraoMate on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks for this! How much does it cost to get something that you can do these at home with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Bdog wrote:
Thanks for this! How much does it cost to get something that you can do these at home with?

Look at my link, the cost is nothing. You can have someone or even a weighted bar hold the back of your ankles while you kneel on a pad and descend to the floor. The further you can go, before your glute and hams can no longer support your weight, the stronger you are.

BTW: Be sure to have your hands ready so that you do not land on your face.

Last edited by ChimarraoMate on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:16 pm

good music in your gym! Wink

and welcome to the forum u gym rat! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dacicsak

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:35 pm

my knees have pain when i do this...s**t...i think im weak for this...how can i train for it without knee injury? from easiest to hardest?

thanks in addition, greetings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 pm

dacicsak wrote:
my knees have pain when i do this...s**t...i think im weak for this...how can i train for it without knee injury? from easiest to hardest?

thanks in addition, greetings

Really load up on the padding below the knees. The stress is on the glute and hams and not on the knees. If you are feeling it there then you probably do not have enough padding. Then try again. Take it easy on the decent, it is good to hang on as long as you can, but feel it out, do not over stress your tendons. It is better to start slow and build strength then to rush into an injury.

Also, if you have access to a Roman Chair (the type that places your body parallel with the floor and most use it for back extensions), use that and adjust out the foot rest so that you have the pad above your knee on your thigh. This significantly changes the leverage and force placed on your legs and makes it a great deal easier.

Roman Chair:

Of course not like this guy in the picture who is doing back extensions. You must bend at the knees and keep the waist and back neutral.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dacicsak

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank u very much! Really helpful information! Great! Stay here to enjoy calisthenics! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:11 am

thanks, but i have neither another person nor a weighted bar to hold my ankles, and i can't find anything around the house to do the job. if anyone has ideas let me know. i suspect this need for equipment is why they're not popular here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:06 am

csaba wrote:
thanks, but i have neither another person nor a weighted bar to hold my ankles, and i can't find anything around the house to do the job. if anyone has ideas let me know. i suspect this need for equipment is why they're not popular here.

mby ur bed?

just something heavy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raja

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Coach Sommer recommends them as well. They're a killer exercise. I'm still trying to find a place to perform them in my house. I have a roman chair, but GHRs can't be done on them. The weighted bar idea is a good one that I'll try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 pm

raja wrote:
Coach Sommer recommends them as well. They're a killer exercise. I'm still trying to find a place to perform them in my house. I have a roman chair, but GHRs can't be done on them. The weighted bar idea is a good one that I'll try.
Same here I've been wanting to do them but couldn't find anywhere in the house to do them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm

If you have a pullup bar between doorframes, then just lower it and put your legs down there Razz.

I've tried this exercise many times, but I can only get past 45 degrees and then I fall on the ground lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daWALLi

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Ken wrote:
If you have a pullup bar between doorframes, then just lower it and put your legs down there Razz.

I've tried this exercise many times, but I can only get past 45 degrees and then I fall on the ground lol.

Yep, that's how I do 'em at home. I also do 'em at the gym. I love the GHD!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:54 pm

raja wrote:

A Roman Chair like in my picture above is perfect for doing them. Maybe I will create another video while I do them on one of those and share. It works well because then you get the benefit of glute and ham insertion movements, which is how your body really works with these muscle groups. I alternate between the eccentric motion of falling on alternate workouts. I use a Roman Chair on my other leg and core days so that I can perform the full range of motion to obtain it's benefits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:40 am

Ken wrote:

u must handcuff urself behind ur back and do it. then it will work just fine! btw get a friend to record it and upload ur one (and only) attempt Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:29 pm

I just got back from the gym and shot a video of myself doing GHR's on a roman chair. Notice the movement is a little different because with full range you should pull back your body and insert your legs into your hip sockets. This is more natural to the way your body expects to use your legs. But it is also a little easier, which is why I alternate between the roman chair and the eccentric only version.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=170915669591790
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voojitsu

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Hey man I'm enjoying these so far.

However I'm getting knee pain also. Doing them on the floor with my feet under my closet and two pillows under my knee joints but they are still hurting. It's not pain direct under my kneecap, but on the side of my knee like it's one of the ligaments or something?

Are my ligaments just getting used to the exercise or am I doing something wrong? Also you have any progressions for these? Should I just do negatives or do partial reps if I can't do a full rep down to the floor and back?

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm

Voojitsu wrote:
Hey man I'm enjoying these so far.

However I'm getting knee pain also. Doing them on the floor with my feet under my closet and two pillows under my knee joints but they are still hurting. It's not pain direct under my kneecap, but on the side of my knee like it's one of the ligaments or something?

Are my ligaments just getting used to the exercise or am I doing something wrong? Also you have any progressions for these? Should I just do negatives or do partial reps if I can't do a full rep down to the floor and back?

Cheers!

Which side of your knee? If we are talking the outside, it could be your IT band. If you are putting your knees together, then try spacing them more apart. You will want a neutral space between them so that your feet are about hip to shoulder width apart. Let your feet point naturally too. Don't try to point them straight down, your knee will not bend naturally if you do, unless you walk with your feet pointing straight forward. Best thing to do is not over think it and try to let everything fall naturally into place. It could be you are building muscle where you don't have it. You could also be stressing your tendons. So if you feel pain there, I recommend stopping, and giving yourself a little extra recovery time. You should really feel them in the balls of your glute and hams when you are done. You may feel a little lower back tightness. Don't over do it, and give at your waist a little more if your lower back gets to tight. You don't want to pull anything. This is a very hard exercise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voojitsu

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:31 pm

The pain is on the inside of my knee.

The only way I can do this exercise is with my toes pointing forward though as there is only a few inch gap under my closet to get my feet in, so it's not actually my ankle that is held by the closet but the sole of my foot (if that makes sense)

Is it unsafe on the knee joint this way? I'll have to figure out another way otherwise.

I'll keep trying them and see if the pain subsides, probably just need to work on form etc, the form is pretty hard to get used to.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChimarraoMate

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 pm

Voojitsu wrote:
The pain is on the inside of my knee.

The only way I can do this exercise is with my toes pointing forward though as there is only a few inch gap under my closet to get my feet in, so it's not actually my ankle that is held by the closet but the sole of my foot (if that makes sense).

Yes, that makes sense, and probably not a good way to do these. You're focus should be on your glute and hams, and pointing your toes will add stress to your knees. Whenever you are focusing on the glute and hams, you want to think about pushing through the heals of your feet. This is true in any position. It is the same with squats, you can take pressure off your knees by keeping your toes neutral or raised and pressing through the heal of your feet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here   

Back to top Go down

Glute and Ham Raises will Raise the Bar here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1