Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Push ups technique

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dweidran

PostSubject: Push ups technique   Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:23 am

Which is correct pushing elbows out to the sides or behind you? or does it just work different areas such as arms or chest?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:35 am

erm.. put ur hands under your shoulders. then just push without twisting the hands. thats how ur motion should be. natural. unless u need help pushing, then it might help if u stick ur elbows out more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jessicajane

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Your elbows should be at about a 45 degree angle, so fairly close to your body, not flared. Typically when people flare their elbows, they lack the strength to do them with good form. If you continue doing your pushups with flared elbows, there is a much higher risk you will develop shoulder problems in the future as this puts a lot of pressure on the delicate rotator cuff muscles. Also remember to go all the way down, feeling a contraction in your shoulder blades, and coming all the way up, rising your scapular up slightly. Perfect form EVERY REP! ;-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dweidran

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 am

Ok thanks,by flaring do you mean outwards, i.e perpendicular to my body? When I do push ups I keep my elbows touching my sides nearly,straight backwards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jessicajane

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:48 pm

If your elbows are touching your sides, you're doing more of a CLOSE grip push-up, which hits your triceps a little more. It might help you to look up some push-up demonstrations on you-tube... Most important, don't allow your arms to make 90 degree angles to your body. This is very tough on your shoulders!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
grishenko45

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:12 am

jessicajane wrote:
If your elbows are touching your sides, you're doing more of a CLOSE grip push-up, which hits your triceps a little more. It might help you to look up some push-up demonstrations on you-tube... Most important, don't allow your arms to make 90 degree angles to your body. This is very tough on your shoulders!

just reading a few old topics....never knew this (90 degree part) thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jessicajane

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:21 am

This is especially important when doing wide grip push ups, since the torque is a little more extreme... Just something to keep in mind!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dacicsak

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:24 am

then does it apply for the wide rows too? its the same, only pulling...

Thanks for the info anyway cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jessicajane

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Yes, you could apply this to wide-grip rows as well... Barbell rows in general are considered unhealthy for your shoulder due to the rotation that occurs during the movement, possibly leading to an impingement issue. I still think that the row is an excellent exercise, but it's especially important to be careful with the amount of weight you're using and how often you're performing this particular exercise...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Push ups technique   

Back to top Go down

Push ups technique
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1