Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

PhilPots training "diary"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PhilPot

PostSubject: PhilPots training "diary"   Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I've decided to try and keep a semi-regular diary of what I've been doing, just as a good way to keep track...
today I decided I wanted to mainly focus on dips and pull ups. I want to increase my numbers, max pull ups I've done is 20 and max dips I've done is 30. so I started off with LBMs static pull up routine (KICKS MY BUTT! Very Happy) then went to a set of 15 dips, 10 diamond push ups, and 10 pull ups, then rest. altogether I did about 8 sets of that, plus some dragonflags, hip push ups, hanging leg raises and static holds. Some lower body stuff too, a few sets of chair lunges (working on form mostly) and bodyweight squats.

It's not much, I know, but it worked me good. I'm just coming off of being sick for a few days so I wanted to get back into it. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/PhilliamDane
noodle

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Hey there Phil

I think that if you want to increase your numbers you should definitely try sometimes your max and then add some negatives. The most you can until you cannot hold your weight. Also you should know if it is a grip problem or not. If it is, when you have done your max, stay on the bars as long as you can.

It is very good to make a big number of pull ups and dips daily, but also it is important to try some times to give it all, and this is a way. Maybe

That is my humble opinion

=)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:40 pm

noodle wrote:
Hey there Phil

I think that if you want to increase your numbers you should definitely try sometimes your max and then add some negatives. The most you can until you cannot hold your weight. Also you should know if it is a grip problem or not. If it is, when you have done your max, stay on the bars as long as you can.

It is very good to make a big number of pull ups and dips daily, but also it is important to try some times to give it all, and this is a way. Maybe

That is my humble opinion

=)

Thanks for the advice!
Its not a grip problem, I'm definitely fine on grip. and yeah, this is most certainly not how I train every day. like I said I'm just coming off of being sick, so I havent been able to do much for about half a week. I try and mix it up as much as I can, and as I post more of what I did I hope you and everybody else will continue to help me with advice and such, help me to get better and stronger!!
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 am

Yesterday I decided to go all out on dips, as many as I could do... I did a pyramid set starting at 10, jumping by 1s to 20, and all the way down to 1 for a total offfff... 355 according to my calculator. plus about 6 sets of 10 pull ups, that was about all I could manage. Im taking a rest today and im gonna check my maxs tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:29 pm

Today was my rest day, but I played around with a couple things. Found out I can do handstand push ups (on a wall) now. thats new. I got out 6 clean ones (touching my head to the floor) before I dropped. I definitely wasnt maxed out, I just leaned a little too far and came off the wall. Cool stuff, I'll work on those tomorrow and test my max along with the other stuff.
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:24 am

Just tested my max in a few exercises. I'm happy, I'm showing some improvement, especially in dips.
Exercise - Prev.Max - Current Max

Pull ups (regular grip, dead hang) - 16 - 20
Push ups (elbows past 90degree bend) - 51 (last months forum competition was the most I had ever done) - 58 (without stopping), 65 (after a short hold on top)
Dips - 30 (a week into starting training) - 50 (I shouldve held out for more, but once I hit 50 I just dropped Evil or Very Mad ...)
handstand push ups - 0 (couldnt even manage one when I started, maybe because of form, but im thinkin lack of strength) - 7 (THAT GOT ME PUMPED! Very Happy )

I dont have a freestanding pull up bar to try muscle ups on, so I'll let you know how that goes once I hit the park. I'm really happy, I've made noticeable improvement, and hopefully it just keeps going up Very Happy Wish me luck, tomorrow I'm going to try a harder set for the 100 Rep Challenge!
Back to top Go down
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:53 pm

Great progress! Were your handstand pushups with or without the wall? I can do 20 or more with a wall but without it I've only done like 5 before I lose balance lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Bdog wrote:
Great progress! Were your handstand pushups with or without the wall? I can do 20 or more with a wall but without it I've only done like 5 before I lose balance lol!

Thats with a wall. I'm still working on holding a freestanding handstand, so the push ups will come later xD Like I said, I was quite happy to find I could do more then one or two Wink I have a new exercise to incorporate now! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
x

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:35 am

-

Last edited by x on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:14 pm

quick wrote:
Congrats Phil. Damn dude your only 15! Great things to come. Still can't believe your from Kingsport, small world.

Thanks man! and yeah, it totally is Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Today I just kinda did whatever... I tried my hand at the first challenge for LBMs saga videos. I can do most of the stuff, but the freestanding handstands and tuck planche push ups get me. I'll keep working on that.

then I did the steps of LBMs planche training video up to the handstand push ups as a superset, did a few sets of that.

I did as many sets of 10 pull ups as I could, I didnt keep very good count, but it wasnt many. I did something to my elbow, nothing serious, it just hurts a little, so I think I'll focus on pushing stuff tomorrow to save the pain from the dead hangs in the pull ups.

Then I went through as much handstand practice and planche training as I could... I feel like I'm progressing on planche, the exercises are getting easier. I did tucked planche holds and as many tucked planche push ups as I could do, assisted planches with a balance ball, that kinda stuff. I'll get there someday!!

Tomorrow I'm going to focus primarily on pushing exercises, slow and controlled, and static holds, just to mix it up. Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Yesterday I worked on static holds, handstand practice, planche hold with a medicine ball, tuck planche hold, front lever negatives and hold (I can hold it for a few seconds), and some hip push ups thrown in, in between holds. Also, I decided to try some explosive pull ups on my iron gym bar, just to play around with it... before I even had a chance to let go and try anything... I hit my head on the ceiling O.o thats never happened before, like... I've never had the power to get up high enough to do that. I cant wait to hit a freestanding bar and try a muscle up!!! Maybe I'll be able to get one now!!

Today I had to take it easy because after my workout yesterday, I went to pull some weeds for my aunt and aggravated my elbow problem. It had just been hurting a little but yanking on those weeds seriously did a number on me, so I spent the rest of the day yesterday and today without doing hardly anything to screw with my elbow...

On the bright side, it gave me a chance to work on just legs today, something I've never done and something I need to do more of. I did 2 sets of 10 "pistols" sitting on a bench (thanks for the tip on your website Al!! I'm trying to work up to an unassisted pistol!!), then one set of 5. then 3 sets of walking lunges across my house and back (across and back being 1 set), and then 2 30sec wall sits. I really need to work more on leg stuff, incorporate it more into my day to day stuff.

Hopefully my elbow is all fine and dandy again tomorrow, cuz I really want to get back into it!!
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:38 am

Well it's been awhile since I posted here. It's cool reading back through and seeing where I started from Smile

Well, starting off, I can now do clean muscle ups. The most I've done is three, but I can consistently get two now. It doesn't sound like much, but it's progress to me!!

Well, as far as what I've been doing for a workout... EVERYTHING!! And I'm seeing great improvement. As far as where I am now, my numbers (what I like to call me "working" numbers, not my max but the number I can do multiple sets of consistently) are...
Pull ups - 20 (I can bang out a few sets of 20 now instead of that just being my absolute max out and then the rest being 10-15.)
Push ups - 40 (I can do more, but like I said I try and keep it a little low so I can do consistent sets of it and get more reps total)
Dips - 30
Muscle ups - 2
Handstand push ups - 11

This isn't to say I don't max out sometimes, there are days where I just max on every set just to change it up. But when I'm trying for pure volume, those are the numbers I use, and I've been upping them constantly these past months Very Happy I have set a personal goal for myself to complete the requirements by the end of next summer. It seems unlikely now, but considering the last time I tested my maxs I could do both the push ups and the dips and I'm getting close on pull ups I think it's achievable. wish me luck!!!

Phil

-Bar-Barians... its a lifestyle Smile

Back to top Go down
Daniel

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 am

Keep it up, doing well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Daniel wrote:
Keep it up, doing well.

Thanks Daniel!! I can feel progress happening, its great to watch my numbers improve!\

I did 4 muscle ups in a row today!! a new record for me. I lose count of my sets (I really should keep track of them...) but I did quite a few sets each of 20 pull ups, 30 dips, 11 HSPU, and 40 push ups. I was happy with the consistency with which I could do 20 pull ups now, its great to be able to bang them out fairly easily. I will probably take a rest over the weekend and then test my maxs on Monday to see where I'm at!!
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:48 am

I did... lotsa sets. Thats about it. Some of everything, maxing out, multiple sets, supersets, front lever (1 leg tucked) holds/raises/negatives, freestanding handstand holds with and without handles, and I even kicked into a planche and held it for a second or two. Oh don't get me wrong, I know I can't do a planche yet. but it felt good to actually be able to manage to hold it up for a split second. Also a lot of advanced tuck planche holds, core work, etc. good day all around Very Happy
I'm going to "rest" over the weekend and see if theres any change in my numbers on monday.
Back to top Go down
PhilPot

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:55 pm

I'm no good at keeping a log. I just do stuff. And I'm improving. I got a front lever hold today for 4-6 seconds, a real one, no tucked legs or anything Very Happy I didn't have much time to do anything else, but I did a ton of yard work so I did get a work out in Wink
(Side note, I've found I can do consistent sets of 55 pushups now, to the point where I feel like I can just drop and do em easy. My goal for right now is to get my numbers up to requirement levels and then make those my working sets to where I can do several sets consistently. Then I'll start working on further endurance training to be able to do the full set. right now I can do about 35-40 dips, 21 pull ups, 55 push ups, and 3 muscle ups. [Maxs for all those are 50 dips, 23 pull ups, ~65-70 push ups and 4 muscle ups]. wish me luck!!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PhilPots training "diary"   

Back to top Go down

PhilPots training "diary"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1