Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Beginners' experience on Ring Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SFX

PostSubject: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm

hi guys,

I'm new to rings and so I want to share my ring experience with you Smile
Maybe you have some advice for me, what I should train first or something else.

Because the summer is almost over and i don't want to stop training over the winter months i bought a pair of rings two weeks ago. So far i have tried out the rings twice. My first workout was only to get a feeling how to train with rings and yesterday i was in hurry and couldn't go to the playground to "my bars" and so i decided to train with rings at home.

I started with the support hold, some kind of pushups and pullups. In my current workout i usually do 50 (bar-) pullups but with the rings i only get 10 - 15. My goal is to do a bar muscle up next year. But can i achieve my goal if i train pull ups on rings? I guess the repetions are so low, because i had not enough space for a straight pull up and i had to do L-sit pull ups, which i have never done before.

Then I tried a back lever. I have never done a full back lever before, but yesterday it worked! My sister was watching me and she said, that i was parallel to the ground for one second or so Very Happy

Afterwards i tried an assisted one arm pull up. i have done negatives on a bar with a towel for a couple of weeks. With my left hand i gripped the ring with two fingers and could do a pull up with my right arm (but not full ROM). I don't know how to rate this, if i'm very close to a OAP or far away (i guess the second Wink )

So my next goals are:

* improve the support hold (3x 30 seconds)
* ring dips
* improve back lever
* front lever

I will continue reporting my progression for you.

Greets

Domi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SFX

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:55 am

yesterday i did my first indoor training session Smile

It wasn't a structured training, i did a lot of different exercises:

4x 5 Pull ups
3x 10 Body rows
2x 2 Ring Dips
3x 5 Ring Pushups

static holds:

support hold (best was 20 sec)
tucked back lever holds

and some other "freestyle" stuff. i think first i have to reduce the number of exercises and have to increase the volume. for example 5-10 x 5 pullups and 5-10 x 5 Ring Pushups (and forget the other things)

what do you think about that?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pulldoggpull

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 pm

yupp definetly UP the volume!!

what rings u got?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SFX

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 pm

hi pulldoggpull,

i have very basic rings. i bought it here:

http://www.einfaches-training.de/page2.php

Today i had another training session, but i was very tired because i was partying till 4:30 AM. I know this isn't good Sad

My goal was to do 8x 5 pullups and 8x 5 pushups and i could do that. I also have an improvent in the support hold. It is now more stable than in my last training (~20 sec).

In my next training session i will increase the sets to 10 (as i had before as i trained with the bar). But what should i do next? Increase the sets (15 x 5) or increase the reps (10 x 6)? Or should i use more weight? i have some weights at home which i can use for pull ups (30 kg max.)

Of course i do some core work (dragon flags, planks,...) and leg work(squats, calf raises), but in this thread i only mention my ring work. Wink

thx for your advice

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:25 pm

I would say don't think so much and just do as much as you can and feel like, lol... Very Happy

The more you push yourself the more rewarding it is, but you have to feel when your exhausted and then rest... Like LBM said, every workout has to be a challenge, if you can do less reps than before, take a rest day and then go hard again Smile.

Hope that kinda helps Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SFX

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:01 am

yesterday was workout time ^^

here is a conclusion:

Exercise 1 set2 set 3 set 4 set 5 set 6 set7 set 8 set 9 set 10 set
Pullups5 5 5 55 55 55 (+ 2kg) 5 (+5kg)
Dips 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Inverted hang curls3 3 3 33 3 3 3
Dragon Flags ( +1kg)3 3 3 3

It was the first time that i used weight. My plan is to use +5kg in my next workout and do at least 30 reps (pull ups).

The next thing is to improve my dips. I don't want to do very much reps. At first i have to learn the right technique, because currently i don't do the full range of motion.

The inverted hang curls are a nice biceps exercise. Maybe i increase the reps if i can. :-)

For the dragon flags, i bound a 1kg weight at my legs. It was easy, i will increase the weight to 2kg next time.

This time i didn't do pushups because after that my left shoulder is sore for the next to 2-3 days Wink I think dips are a great exercise to compensate pushups.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SFX

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:38 pm

yesterday i didn't have much time, so i did only 20 pullups with a 5 kg weight. after that i tried deep dips, but i felt a pain in my chest and so i stopped ( only 4 dips). i think the chest muscles aren't ready for deep dips.

afterwards i did 18 inverted hang curls. that was my whole "workout" :-)

on monday i will have enough time to do a better one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SFX

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am

ok i forgot to write down my last workout. I had a week rest and last monday i did the following routine:

Pullups Close grip (on rings): 7 - 5 - 3 - 3 (last 3 with + 5kg)
Pullups: 1,5 (+10kg) - 4 - 2 - 4 - 3 (all with +5kg)
Wall HS Holds: 45s - 36s - 31s - 15s
Some Ring Support Holds (don't know the time)
Uneven Pullups on a Soccerball (left/right): 5/5 - 5/5 - 5/5
Some Squats/Close Squats
Some Tuck FrontLever Hold
Some Back Lever from Inverted Hang
Dragon Flags: 5 - 5 - 4
Some Hanging Leg Raises
Some Head-Bridges

I want to do the exercises from the book "convict conditioning". I think most of you knows this book.

The next two days after the workout i have a kind of pain if i touched the sides of my two shoulder (next to the shoulder bone, don't know how it is called). i don't know if this is a start of an injury, but after two days it is completely gone. Do you have experienced that yet?

On wednesday it was my hitt day. I did 5 sprints of 15 seconds and today i want to do another workout focusing on core.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginners' experience on Ring Training   

Back to top Go down

Beginners' experience on Ring Training
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1