Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

cardio for gettin ripped

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
adewitt17

PostSubject: cardio for gettin ripped   Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:05 pm

wat type of cardio will get me ripped bt maintain mi mass?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bdog

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Sprints
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noname

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:13 pm

sprints are an good idea or if u have a jump rope then use it for 5-10minutes several times a day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
x

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm

-

Last edited by x on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TauhuToa

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:08 pm

+1 for the sprints, easy to see when you look at the physical condition/ shape of olympic sprinters vs marathon runners. Sprinting up a hill then walking down and repeating is really good if your in an area where its possible. (plus side of living in NZ lol lots of hills)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
csaba

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:28 am

i don't think you're going to lose much fat doing sprints. they're good but i don't think they're optimal. i'm a cyclist and my experience has been that my legs turned to steel and are way stronger than before cycling. they've also gotten a lot bigger because i do sprints and hill climbs. i did a 50 mile ride today and wolframalpha.com says I burned over 2000 Calories and about 0.6 lbs of fat, just from this one ride.

anyway there are a lot of things you can do like swimming, running, whatever, but i figured i'd give this example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adamg22

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:26 pm

i agree cycling rips it off you.. ive been training for a triathlon for a month or two now and i can honestly say after going for a 10mile cycle i can feel it in my legs the next day or two compared to doing an equal distance run.. and you can keep up a high intensity speed cycling for a much longer time compared to running..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:46 pm

thanx alot bros..so i guess i"ll mix up both bt nt 2 much of 1 anotha..how much of sprinting shuld i do sets n reps up da hill?..n wat bout da distance for low int. running?..bt mi main goals r 2 get ripped for now den bulk up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:26 pm

You have several options.
First what are your goals? You want to get ripped yeah, but what else?
Do you want to have strong lungs and heart or do you want to be a good runner? If your only goal is getting ripped and perserving your muscle mass then I'd really recommend ICT's, yeah they use the energy system you use during strength training, but what? Your body can adapt to anything. I only use low intensity running for active recovery if i'm sore, not more not less. I'd recommend Burpees, Sprints, Hill Sprints, Jump Rope, etc. those will perserve muscle mass and they will definitely get you ripped.

Example Workout I recently did:
5 Pullups
10 Med. Ball Slams (15kg)
10 Burpees
15 Pushups
1 Rope Climb
10 Burpees
x6

Trust me this will leave you huffing and puffing for air and will also give you tremendous strength endurance, and If you eat enough you will also gain mass while staying lean.

Also: Read this article and watch the video, then you'll know everything you need to know CLICK HERE FOR THE ARTICLE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BleHz0r

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 pm

first off, and i mean no disrespect, but i think u should write with at least half a proper grammar. if u dont know how to then nevermind.

but i agree with the majority. sprints is the way to go. high intensity sprints+high intensity workouts/supersets burns loads of fat.
try to boost it up too by adding either seconds or meters.
for example; 100m sprint/10sec walk, 120m sprint/10 sec walk..
and another; 10sec sprint/10sec walk, 15sec sprint/10sec walk.. etc.

i prefer the first since i have a running track just around the corner, which makes it easy to count meters. otherwise all u need is a stop watch.
and those times are just an example. if u burnout quickly, adjust the distance and the rest/walk times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:28 pm

well for now i jus want 2 get ripped n preserve muscle mass..bt lata on wen i start training for martial arts i want 2 hav a strong heart n lungs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:32 pm

right now i want 2 get ripped so wat low intensity cardio shuld i do n how much
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:07 pm

I would just do something more along the lines of a muscular endurance workout with cardio between each exercise. Say you start off with push ups until you're getting close to muscular endurance failure and then do jumping jacks, knee highs, or mountain climbers until you're having to slow down a lot because of cardiovascular endurance. Keep switching up the exercises from push-ups to squats or really any exercise that you can perform a lot of reps with and then back to the cardiovascular endurance. Do that until you've hit all major body parts on the muscular endurance and finish off with another cardiovascular endurance exercise followed by stretching and food. It will get you going and you'll not only burn a lot of calories but it will be fairly high intensity which will raise your metabolism for a longer period of time than low intensity cardio. Does that make sense at all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:48 pm

csaba wrote:
i don't think you're going to lose much fat doing sprints. they're good but i don't think they're optimal. i'm a cyclist and my experience has been that my legs turned to steel and are way stronger than before cycling. they've also gotten a lot bigger because i do sprints and hill climbs. i did a 50 mile ride today and wolframalpha.com says I burned over 2000 Calories and about 0.6 lbs of fat, just from this one ride.

anyway there are a lot of things you can do like swimming, running, whatever, but i figured i'd give this example.

Sprints sequenced in a HIIT format will raise your RMR. You might not burn fat as your main fuel source during the activity but you will burn more after thanks to your raised EPOC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:10 pm

well i kinna get it bt den i dnt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mgraham404

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 pm

What I meant was like this:

Push-ups: do as many as you can as quick as you can without losing form
Jumping Jacks: do as many as you can until your heart feels like it's going to explode
Squats: do as many as you can as quick as you can without losing form
Mountain Climbers: do as many as you can until your heart feels like it's going to explode
Pull-Ups: do as many as you can as quick as you can without losing form
Knee Highs: do as many as you can until your heart feels like it's going to explode
Dips: do as many as you can as quick as you can without losing form
Burpees: do as many as you can until your heart feels like it's going to explode

If you have to take a break, take a break, but the entire point of this type of training is to feel like you've killed yourself. Just adjust the exercises to your difficulty level, add more or take some away. However, that would be one set of the circuit. Do as many as you feel like you need to. You will get both muscular endurance and cardiovascular endurance from that. Now do you get it? Haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:32 pm

yea i gotchu now aha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Yea sprints will do the trick, just do not over do it. 2-3 days at the most. Also realize that you are trying to lose fat and sprints really do not use fat as their energy source. Sprints do raise the metabolism and eventually your body will burn more calories. The main problem with sprints is that they use the same or very similar energy systems as those used in weightlifting/bodyweight training. So if you continually use the same energy system even though you are doing different activities (sprints, calisthenics) you will over-train. Make sense?

Easy way to solve the problem is to use low intensity aerobic exercise which will use fat as its main energy source. Will doing low intensity aerobic work hurt your strength/muscle gains? I think not and that has always been my experience.

If getting ripped is your main goal I would suggest the low intensity aerobic approach. You will find that having a good aerobic foundation will help your body recover faster from your other workouts. Hope this helps.

ayo quick wat shuld i do for low intensity aerobic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Low intensity cardio will switch to fat as a main fuel source after 20-30 mins. 65% of your max HR is considered in the fat burning zone. For some this could be a brisk walk, it really depends on where your cardio is at. But the thing with low intensity cardio is that you need to do a lot of volume to burn the fat. Thats why HIIT or circuits can be good. At the end of the day though you want to consider your diet. Eat clean calories, eat little and often and don't go to far below your calorific maintance level. About 20% max. Dropping calories also puts your body under stress so you might want to consider not training to fatique on the bars/in the weight room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:35 pm

ok thanx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:02 pm

And now we all forget the most important factor:
DON'T THINK TOO MUCH, JUST DO IT! Very Happy

If you want example workouts I can give you lots and lots of them! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
x

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 pm

-

Last edited by x on Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiga

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 am

quick wrote:
By the way the whole Olympic sprinter vs. the Olympic marathon runner thing is a bit misleading. One sprinters do a hell of a lot of weight training for their upper and lower body along with perhaps PED's. As opposed to marathon runners who run 50-80 miles per week. What do you expect them to look like.
Trust me, I know plenty of fighters and wrestlers who do lots of easy roadwork and are ripped to the bone and still maintain a high degree of muscle.

Gotta agree with you. My active recovery is jogging for 45 minutes to an hour. Keeping an aerobic base is very important indeed. You can jog all you want if you still lift a lot and eat a lot you will still be muscular and ripped, on the other side if you ONLY jog and do NOT lift and don't eat a lot then you'll end up a skeleton.
And to add one thing: The roadwork is also for weight management Wink
Sometimes you just have to gotta go against the mainstream and figure some things out for yourself, find what works for you, discard what doesn't, that's why setting goals is so very important.

On a side note: I still favour very intense anaerobic conditioning Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tree-Trunk

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:28 am

quick wrote:
Hello adewitt17. Just pick something that you enjoy and do it at a steady state. Running, cycling, hiking or even walking fast. Just keep your HR between 60-70% of max HR for 20-60 minutes, 2-3 days per week.

Sorry to single you out on this, but just do the maths. 20 minutes at 65% HR is about 100 calories, 3 times a week that is only 300 calories. At that intensity apparently about 50% of calories burned are from fat. Thats just 150 calories in a week. Even at 3 x 60 minute sessions thats only 450 calories a week.

As I have already stated low intensity cardio requires a lot of volume to be effective for fat loss. How much time you want to devote to it? How much time you got?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:41 am

thanx alot guys..@tiaga i wuldnt mind sum ex. workouts bt i do hav all da time n da world
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cardio for gettin ripped   

Back to top Go down

cardio for gettin ripped
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next