Elite Bodyweight Training

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

shoulder labrum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
adewitt17

PostSubject: shoulder labrum   Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:00 pm

any1 on here ever had a shoulder labrum tear??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cen

PostSubject: Re: shoulder labrum   Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 pm

Fortunately no, sounds complicated. I'll have to google tht. Only problem I've had is shoulder dislocation and soreness. I'm assuming thas was goin on with you so hope you're able ta get recovered soon my friend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/cory108
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: shoulder labrum   Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 pm

ohh yea its pretti common..its a lgament rite near da rotator cuff..u kan get it 4rm a directional or indirectional force..n for me it was indirect cuz i gt pushed on da field 4rm behind n landed on it.. i gt mine 4rm football..bt da funni thng is afta da season ended i was still liftin witout knowin wat it was n made it worse witout any pain unless i did pullups..finally i went through surgery had therpay fa 2 months n i been hittin da barz for bout 3 weeks now..im still restricted 2 pullups so i do chinups n i kant do anythn wit contact
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cen

PostSubject: Re: shoulder labrum   Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 pm

So you've had tha surgery then, I watched how that works on youtube. Once tht heals up is just as good as before? No restrictions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/cory108
adewitt17

PostSubject: Re: shoulder labrum   Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:43 pm

yea basically..unless u play a sport den u hav 2 wait 6 months 2 return..bt otha den dat da onli restriction i hav is doing pullups bt i kan do chinups
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spartan

PostSubject: Labrum Injury   Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:23 am

I had a SLAP repair in April 2011. I injured my labrum about 10 years ago.

I used alot of gym work to stabilise the joint in an effort to avoid surgery.

All that being said, I had three permanent anchors inserted, plus having the labrum shaved and tied. I also had my biceps tendon cut and re-attached with an anchor.

After surgery I had a fair bit of pain in the joint for about 6 weeks and couldn't do anything except keep it in a sling, and do daily exercises bending over and letting my arm hang whilst using my body to make my arm do small rotations. Most people say sling for 4-6 weeks etc, mine took 6.

Expect to go insane and have a significant amount of muscle wastage if you have to have surgery. The muscles that were worst were delts, triceps, biceps, forearm, and traps.

I started physiotherapy at 6 weeks. It's been a slow process of getting movement back into the shoulder, elbow, scapula etc. Expect to lose alot of your range of motion for a while, it will be a very slow and steady process of getting it back. This is probably the most frustrating part of the whole process. At week 12 i've started core stability to help with overall strength again.

I can now start with weight bearing exercise. Examples are pushups against a wall, arm hangs, pushups on my knees, side planks on elbows and hands, bridging etc. I've also started to work with strengthening exercises, but at a hugely reduced weight, usually 1-2KG. The best advice I was given was to build up a base of strength again and don't rush.

I've still got a fairly restricted range of motion, but I find that it's nearly back to normal once i'm warmed up.

My doc is pretty confident that i'll have full rangge of motion in another month or two. Then it's back into pull ups, chin ups, dips etc. Worst thing is pretty much starting from scratch - as if i'd never worked on strengthening my upper body at all.

It's not all bad, I get to have more of a focus on technique than numbers etc, which is good because I used to hurt myself more trying to delude myself I was ok.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pilku

PostSubject: Re: shoulder labrum   Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:19 pm

spartan wrote:
I also had my biceps tendon cut and re-attached with an anchor.

how long was your biceps tendon unattached then? mine is I think 5 years, and the doctors told me there is absolutely no possibility of re-attaching it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: shoulder labrum   

Back to top Go down

shoulder labrum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1